OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes this is a really small selection. You were right Richard, 6 weeks in new Zealand is nowhere near enough. We re definitely going for longer next time but going to have to save up:D

Jon

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
What is the cost of renting a motorhome in New Zealand?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
What is the cost of renting a motorhome in New Zealand?

We had one based on the VW chassis with a bed over the cab.

Not the newest but very reasonable at around £3k.
This included the best insurance covering everything, we collected in the North and dropped off in the South.

Its not as expensive as some people say, bargains are to be had :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2017
New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Exp
Yes we have one of these spots next to our property here on the coast in the South Island. Campervan vans are outnumbered by cars and station wagons with two or more tourists sleeping and cooking in and around them. Weather closing in here so numbers are dwindling. More amenities need to be provided for "freedom campers" as a lot of the spots have no toilets or water and MOST vehicles are not self contained. Best to get that sticker on your back window and sleep comfortably. $200 fine for not having one!!!

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Its a fabulous place and we had a wonderful time but cheap it aint

There is a huge choice of companies and vehicles but camper rental in NZ is expensive, we wanted one with two beds and a proper toilet and shower. The regular renters wanted circa £5000/month for a NZ one or £7000 for a burstner.

We used share a camper in the end

https://www.shareacamper.co.nz/?gcl...BKCuU-RAJbqh6oBv6PcxCGjq7SygITNSu-RoCr9fw_wcB

This is not a camper exchange service but a peer to peer organisations that puts you in touch with NZ owners and allows you to rent private vehicles and covers the insurances. This cost us £3800 and included 3000 user miles.

We would recommend this in particular to experienced motorhomers, but you do need to check what you re getting as - like airbnb there is no set standard.

On the other side of the coin as you might expect the big boys are a little guarded with the facts:

1, They can 'forget' to tell you about road user charges, so when you return it you can find you have a bill of 6 cents/km to pay, and NZ is BIG surprisingly big!

2, The self containment certificate is a must, $200 fine ruthlessly applied. Lots of the previously mentioned kids in cars find that out. You can rent a toyota previa 'camper' with a self containment certificate but its a con. The toilet is wrapped up, you pay a hefty deposit and if you break the seal the deposit is lost.

This sounds very negative and I'm not meaning to be., as I said at the start of the thread it probably is one of the very best countries to go motorhoming in but its better to do it with your eyes open.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
All I can say is have a good hunt around for a hire vehicle.

Road user charge paid, tyre under body insurance etc was covered.
No mileage restriction we did 10k km
Fully self contained and only problem we had was the strap that held the jab battery came loose. Hardly surprising some of the un paved roads we used as we like to explore :)

Even got collected and dropped off at the airport :)

Have a look at Wendykeirsten spelling maybe slightly different.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We visit NZ every 18 months or so as we have two sons who live there. We've found it cheaper to hire a small car and stay in B&Bs, small motels etc. You can see just as much of the country by each to their own. :D

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We visit NZ every 18 months or so as we have two sons who live there. We've found it cheaper to hire a small car and stay in B&Bs, small motels etc. You can see just as much of the country by each to their own. :D

Someone suggested that to us.
But if we had done that we would have been restricted to where we could stay.
Some mornings we woke to find ourselves surrounded by seals :)

Or woken in the morning by the sound of the waves breaking on the shore and the sun rising.
All viewed from our MoHo bed (y)

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Always worth spending time on research,Ros must have spent 12 months on it,well she had been told her job was finishing in 12 months and how long did she want to stay! I know it's 4 1/2 years since we went
and exchange rates change and prices have gone up but £3,365 :D

image.jpeg

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I didnt make it clear that the prices I was quoting related to February/March which is still high season. and I was also looking with only a few weeks to go. I do agree with @rb62 that deals are better in shoulder seasons but you would perhaps struggle to get that deal today at 1.75$ to £1 but getting better.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We went March last year so not high season.
Having said that I didn't want to be around lots of tourists struggling to find "sweet spots" to stay overnight :D

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
We spent Dec & Jan there withy son and Family . He says that the cheapest way would be to buy MH for us and then sell it again . Friends of hours rented a car and used accomadation which they thought worked out cheaper. The other thing is with MH you are limited to where you can go due to the roads.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We spent Dec & Jan there withy son and Family . He says that the cheapest way would be to buy MH for us and then sell it again . Friends of hours rented a car and used accomadation which they thought worked out cheaper. The other thing is with MH you are limited to where you can go due to the roads.

Can't agree with you unfortunately.
We were restricted from going on four roads in total in both North and South Islands.
I got talking to a lorry driver and he said the one road we couldn't go on he wouldn't drive a car on it :)

One of the others was 90 mile beach and you arnt allowed hire cars on there either.

We did all sorts of unpaved roads including the Forgotten Highway :D

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
We were restricted from going on four roads in total in both North and South Islands.
I got talking to a lorry driver and he said the one road we couldn't go on he wouldn't drive a car on it :)

One of the others was 90 mile beach and you arnt allowed hire cars on there either.

I was led to beleave that in the terms and conditions it stated that you were not allowed to use uunmetled roads.
This was definately the case when I rented a camper van in OZ.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013

We found no mention of any of the Forgotten highway being unpaved,
so to find the bit in the middle was unpaved came as a bit of a surprise!
so did we turn round and go back ..no.
The only danger we found on unpaved roads were the graders which lurked round the corners :Eeek:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I was led to beleave that in the terms and conditions it stated that you were not allowed to use uunmetled roads.
This was definately the case when I rented a camper van in OZ.

Not so with us, as i said only four roads we were banned from using :)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
No one is saying it's the same just pointing out a cheaper alternative. :D

I don't think it is cheaper when you take into consideration hiring a car and the b and b costs then you have to eat out every night.

I agree if you hire a moho at the top end it isn't cheap.
Come down the ladder a few steps and the cost drops dramatically (y)

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We did a bit of both, we rented a car from Auckland, drove down to Wellington over a few days then rented the motorhomeand returned it to wellington and drove back up to Auckland over 4 days.

We would not do the car thing again. We prefer motorhomes( this is a motorhome forum afterall) and found having to be at a booked place a total pain in the arse, and the cost of eating out etc very expensive and limited in NZ. One of our lessons learned was not to do the car/motel thing again.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We vary rarely eat out as all hotel, motels etc have small kitchens so were able to cater for ourselves but eating out is one of the experiences we enjoy while abroad. The fact that this is a Motorhome forum is either here nor there above all this is an advise forum. :)

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We vary rarely eat out as all hotel, motels etc have small kitchens so were able to cater for ourselves but eating out is one of the experiences we enjoy while abroad. The fact that this is a Motorhome forum is either here nor there above all this is an advise forum. :)

You know its called motorhome fun?

OP
OP
jongood
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We did a bit of both, we rented a car from Auckland, drove down to Wellington over a few days then rented the motorhomeand returned it to wellington and drove back up to Auckland over 4 days.

We would not do the car thing again. We prefer motorhomes( this is a motorhome forum afterall) and found having to be at a booked place a total pain in the arse, and the cost of eating out etc very expensive and limited in NZ. One of our lessons learned was not to do the car/motel thing again.

I could also add that it was better, waking up next to a virtually deserted beach sitting out with your morning cuppa is what motorhoming is about for many of us.

Also the vagaries of NZ weather are easier to cope with. A few times we arrived and the weather was not conducive, put the kettle on, give it an hour or two.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back