Rally NEW YEAR @Shrewsbury "again" (1 Viewer)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
:xlaugh: What is a Yam yam Dave??:xdoh:
I was wondering that too Tim, so a quick search found this..............

"Residents of Birmingham (Brummies) meanwhile often refer to their Black Country neighbours as "Yam Yams," a reference to the use of "Yow am" (or yow'm) instead of "You are."

:xsurprised:

Cheers,

Jock. :xwink:

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
OK for anybody booked to join us at Shrewsbury for New Year it's is getting closer
1f604.svg
for anybody not booked yet SORRY you are too late.

We will be camping on the West Mids showground for £15 per night including electric. http://www.westmidshowground.co.uk

My mobile number is 07780 686312 if anybody has any last minute problems.

Some people will have been before and know the way in but just incase I will put up this warning again about the low bridge in town on "cross street" 3.3 metres from memory which many would manage BUT its not worth it and not the best way anyway as it takes you into the busy town.

For the showground use the postcode SY1 2PF and then Gravel Hill Lane,

IMG_1269.PNG

Make sure that you come down the A528 and then right onto the B5067 Berwick Road, after this just keep left and onto Gravel Hill Lane and the entrance to the showground will be on your left, when you are approaching the town you will see signs for "low bridge" and the last one you see will says 500 yards but don't panic you turn right before it.

Anybody approaching from Wales may want to use the A458 and cross the Welsh bridge into town, then keeping left following the river as this till avoids most of the town centre and "that bridge" note that the electronic RED height warning sign might flash at you but the left lane is OK, keep the co-driver on their toes though:xrofl:

The format for the weekend is pretty laid back, free time during the day for walks into town or whatever you wish, there are plenty of pub's and cafe's two Wetherspoons etc etc.

We have a nice warm room for the duration and will be meeting in there on the evenings, New Years eve of course being the "big one" we are having a "jacobs table" supper so everybody brings some food hot, cold, sweet or savoury, bring your own drinks glasses cutlery plates etc.

Any questions please ask.

I will just add that we will attempt to park everybody on hard standing if the field is soggy but to help out please bring any bits of wood bread crates etc that you can use to stop the wheels sinking and help you off at the end.

There is more detailed information and timings back on post #148.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
River level is 1.38 and falling, it was 1.995 after the snows melted from the tinsel meet, ground could be soggy though and not much in the way of a frost forecast either.

Martin

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
River level is 1.38 and falling, it was 1.995 after the snows melted from the tinsel meet, ground could be soggy though and not much in the way of a frost forecast either.

Martin
You must use the same website as I do Martin, I was watching that with baited breath last week, it came very close to flooding.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You must use the same website as I do Martin, I was watching that with baited breath last week, it came very close to flooding.
I wasn't going to mention it till it was halfway up the field, usually I just watch the duck's and if it only comes half way up them we will be OK.

For anybody that's interested,

IMG_1271.PNG

Martin

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I watch the Llandrinio one as well so you get a good idea of what’s heading down. Think those ducks will be walking not swimming. :xsmile:

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Getting closer,:xThumb:

IMG_1272.JPG

Bottles of Fizz,(y) party poppers(y) room decorations(y) big plates for food(y) boring stuff like washing up liquid sponges and tea towels and rubbish bags(y) tea coffee sugar, serviettes, brown and red sauce for the bacon buns(y) prizes for the quiz's(y) oop's mustn't forget to do the quiz questions:xrofl:

Martin

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We have a soiree to go to on the Saturday night across town. If we take the van, will we be able to get back on-site during the wee small hours? (promise to be as quiet as a 1995 VW T4 diesel van can be :) :) )

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have a soiree to go to on the Saturday night across town. If we take the van, will we be able to get back on-site during the wee small hours? (promise to be as quiet as a 1995 VW T4 diesel van can be :) :) )
Hi Janine

As we are not the only people using the site the gate might get locked so make sure that you get the code from me before you go, that applies to anybody else as well, even walking.

I will put the code number up on a board in the room rather than on here.

Martin

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Can recommend Dragon King all you can eat Chinese, Old Potts Way Shrewsbury SY3 7ET
We go every other weekend when we go to Shrewsbury shopping
It's next to the Cinema and there are lots of free parking no height barrier. It's cheaper in the afternoon but there is a better choice of food in the evening. It's large so you shouldn't have a problem getting in. Although if a large group were to be going along it may be an idea to book as they can lay out large tables for you:xThumb:

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
It’s a long shot but is there any space on this rally for the weekend? Any cancellations?

I’d be more than happy to take a space... just a little old Carthago, me and the Mrs.

Mike

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It’s a long shot but is there any space on this rally for the weekend? Any cancellations?

I’d be more than happy to take a space... just a little old Carthago, me and the Mrs.

Mike
No sorry, fresh out of spaces, there is another New Year event just popped up though sure you have seen it.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/flash-meet-new-years-eve-at-raf-west-raynham.166675/

Martin

Last edited:
OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Been thinking about this for a long time but prompted by @jonandshell post on their New Year Rally I started thinking again.

As a fine upstanding and ethical funster I am offering you a guilt free way of recycling those Christmas presents from distant Aunts, Uncles and friends who really don't know you that well, what use is a pump for evacuating air from a left over half bottle of wine:xrofl:

Anyway, the service I am offering is as follows:

Bring said unwanted gifts to New Year meet and we will put them all on a table to sell, not for you BUT for charity:xThumb: being fine upstanding and generous funsters you might even go home with more than you came with.

My worry about this was that I would get left to clear up all the stuff that absolutely nobody wants but Jan has said we can donate it to their Charity shop:xlaugh:

I will give some thought to when this will happen, but most likely after/during bacon buns on New Year morning and running into that evening.

Martin

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Nice idea @funflair Martin:xThumb:. Suppose that means I ought to open some of my presents:LOL: ( to be fair I've opened a couple)

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Nice idea @funflair Martin:xThumb:. Suppose that means I ought to open some of my presents:LOL: ( to be fair I've opened a couple)
Yes Debs you have to open them and then call the sender saying "ooh thank you so much I have always wanted a picture frame with frogs on but never actually though to buy myself one" :xrofl:

Then you can bring it along, them's the rules sorry.

Martin

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
For anyone wanting a really good Indian Meal we recommend Avatar on Mardol, just around the corner from the traditional wetherspoons. Run by Nepalese its pretty good although can get very busy.

Lots of nice places to eat about - really depends what you like.

The Armoury is also pretty good but busy.

The Alb just by the bus station is pretty good

The Peachtree, C21 Momo etc next to the Abbey.

Cromwells on Dogpole

Pre theatre deal in Bistro Jacques, got to be ordered before 7pm (6.30 Fri and Sat)

have fun

Jon

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
For anyone wanting a really good Indian Meal we recommend Avatar on Mardol, just around the corner from the traditional wetherspoons. Run by Nepalese its pretty good although can get very busy.

Lots of nice places to eat about - really depends what you like.

The Armoury is also pretty good but busy.

The Alb just by the bus station is pretty good

The Peachtree, C21 Momo etc next to the Abbey.

Cromwells on Dogpole

Pre theatre deal in Bistro Jacques, got to be ordered before 7pm (6.30 Fri and Sat)

have fun

Jon
Where's the best carvery to go to or Sunday roast lunch please ??

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We had terrible rain all day and night yesterday in Shrewsbury fine drizzle today. Temps have droped a lot. Hoping the river Severn is gonna behave for us this weekend

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Where's the best carvery to go to or Sunday roast lunch please ??

Roast dinners arent really my thing but we did have a nice one at the Anchor in Frankkwell ( right oposite the theatre entrance a few weeks ago.

Jon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back