New Year Meet 2008/2009 - Grantham (1 Viewer)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks to Bryan & Suzy for organizing another great meet despite the few problems we enjoyed ourselves with the Funsters as always. Just need to find a new venue such a shame really, although if Bob is leaving as per the rumor maybe the new tenant will be better.

We managed to make it home without the brakes locking on although I didn't stop just in case.

Hope you get well soon Bryan.

Off to Italy in 2 weeks with a big gang of friends and family for a weeks skiing

Happy New Year Everyone :thumb::thumb:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
By George he's got it :thumb: well done Pappajohn nice piccy's
Just one comment you took one of me from my bad side but before you say it I haven't got a good side :roflmto:

Thanks to everyone who attended the N/Y meet me and Ruth had a great time again with you all :thumb:

A special thanks to Suzy & Bryan for organising a lovely breakfast for us all

I've just phoned to see how Bryan is after suffering a another back problem on Friday morning just when we were packing up to leave, Suzy tells me he's still in the horizontal position and can't move much. :Sad:
However they are being taken good care of by Pammy & Geo ::bigsmile:

The other thing I found out is Road Runner is still at the Dirty Duck awaiting recovery of his bus due to a brake calliper failing :Sad:

All in all a very eventfull meet but great fun :thumb:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Yes, spoke to RR this morning and he was still awaiting recovery hopefully arriving today !:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just one comment you took one of me from my bad side but before you say it I haven't got a good side :roflmto:

The other thing I found out isRoad Runner is still at the Dirty Duck awaiting recovery of his bus due to a brake calliper failing :Sad:

who told you that Tony :ROFLMAO:

the recovery co were coming at 9.30 this morning to move him....he's probably in a panic 'cos his dad had a fall at the care home yesterday.

must get a better flash gun for me camera.....:Doh:

Last edited:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
RR finally on low loader at 12.30 heres hopeing for a safe journey and no low trees !

mickt

Free Member
Dec 15, 2007
SUFFOLK
Funster No
MH
LOW LINE
Exp
10 years
New year

First of all happy new year to everyone.
I spent this new year with the CCC Fenland DA Five nights for £90.00 including diner dance with live music and disco on new years eve , plus entertainment . The price is for two people:ROFLMAO:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
RR finally on low loader at 12.30 heres hopeing for a safe journey and no low trees !

All my Best wishes go out for the quick and Full Recovery of Bryan and the safe Transit home of John (Road Runner)

Glad you all had a great time there and Happy New Year to you all.

Steve.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Update

Hi all and a happy new year to you all
The saga so far
It all started on Friday morning when Bryanus Horizontallis tried to remove a CD, he press eject and unfortunately the wrong disc came out:Doh:
Upon learning of his difficulties a quick discussion among the funsters quickly had a solution
There was no way we could abandon a fellow member in such a predicament, so a quick PM to Jim had his membership cancelled:thumb: and we all set of home:ROFLMAO:
Bryanus Horizontallis and Suzy have taken up residence at Costa Pecks Hill. Its called costa Pecks Hill, Cos it costa packet to stay here, we have very strict rules here and power is not cheap, we have however got to the bottom of why the NY meet was tripping all day and every day, and Ive already confiscated all manor of blow/oil and convection heaters from their RV and told them to restrict TV viewing to 2 Hrs a day,
Its not all bad news, Hes still got 24 Hrs to get well before Suzy places an add for a more reliable driver
We have made a few alterations to the RV, Bryan now has the macerater permanently fixed to his nether regions so he doesn't have to get out of bed, and I'm working on a V8 Zimmer frame for him in the workshop,
We have kindly given Suzy a job as chief cook and bottle washer, that should help with site fees, (she cooks a mean curry if any ones looking for staff)
Will keep you posted
Hope John (RR) got home ok:thumb:
I suspect boiled Fluid as the culprit, as he had a smoking rear brake on arrival, so nothing major I hope
Geo

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
He is still not back at base but on his way, he was told rear caliper gone but will know more when he gets back. Hope you are right Geo.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Bugsy

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since December 2008
The Grantham meet was our first time out in the RV since picking it up on 5th December. Although the bedroom was not finished and we were sleeping on the floor we had a great time. We were having kittens :Eeek:when the power failed because we thought it was a problem with the RV, but soon found out that it was a problem with the campsite's electrics. Phew, were we relieved.

Thanks to everyone who gave us tips and advice, especially Geo. Thanks to Glen for getting the TV working and Peter for finding the switch which turned the power on again!!!! Thanks to Bryan and Suzy for the excellent brunch :thumb: and hopefully Bryan will be on his feet soon.

Staying at the Dirty Duck was a real baptism of fire and if we can survive that site we can survive anywhere!!!

We had a great time and met some lovely people and hopefully we will meet up again over the coming months.

Toni & Barry

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Toni and Barry,
sorry, i dont think we got to chat, could be wrong though, so many new faces.:Doh:

you're right in saying it was a baptism of fire and as you got through that fiasco you can weather any storm.:thumb:

the spring/summer show meets are a lot better for many reasons, one being no electric worries.....there isnt any electric:winky: and another being the nicer weather(usually) lets us have more outdoor socializing.

hope to meet you both at one of the summer meets, if i havnt already,the hard bit is putting names to faces.

john.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sod it!!!!!

if you want to see the pics of the meet got to my photobucket post.
just cant get them to upload to the gallery, tried everything.:Angry:
i give in!!!!!!!!

verity23

Free Member
Sep 20, 2008
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 Years
Hi All
Just to say thank you for a great time and to meet such lovely people. You made us so welcome at our first rally.:thumb:
Thank you Bryan and Suzy for organising the meet. Bryan hope you are back on your feet and pain free.

Pete & Jane

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Toni Ford said:
We had a great time and met some lovely people and hopefully we will meet up again over the coming months.

verity23 said:
Just to say thank you for a great time and to meet such lovely people. You made us so welcome at our first rally.

It was good to meet you all as well, faces to names and all that. We typed off a list of who was coming to the meet.......................and then left it on the coffee table. :Doh:

Hope to see you all again soon,

Jock & Rita.

P.S. A message for Toni and Pete..............DON'T DROP THE COUPLINGS. :ROFLMAO:
Jock.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Home late last night very tired today but just off to pick my dad up now.

When all the Funsters drove off and it was just me could have wept literally and glad i had the dogs with me as I hit rock bottom, (the pub were excellent to me, well done and big thanks:thumb:)

Rear brake calliper seal is leaking.

Sureteam direct didn't want to pay recovery back to Wales so kept sending out differing firms (24 hours before they agreed a firm and the lorry finally came)

In the end cost them £100 an hour for low loader.

Thanks to Eileen (Dylan and Mark for the warm welcome as usual at Cwmcuttan)

What a start to 2009:Doh::cry:

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi John, glad you got back ok, I'm surprised they never replaced the seal on site, would have been cheaper for them. Can you do it yourself or do you have to get a mobile mechanic out. Happy New Year to you.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
When all the Funsters drove off and it was just me could have wept literally and glad i had the dogs with me as I hit rock bottom, (the pub were excellent to me, well done and big thanks:thumb:)

Hi John,

I'm really sorry to hear that you felt the way you did, but really glad to hear that the pub management came up trumps for you in your time of need.
We hope your Dad is okay, after his stay away from home. Let's hope that the rest of 2009 is kinder to you both.

Best regards,

Jock & Rita.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi John, glad you got back ok, I'm surprised they never replaced the seal on site, would have been cheaper for them. Can you do it yourself or do you have to get a mobile mechanic out. Happy New Year to you.

i think the problem would be sourcing a new seal at short notice Roger, not like halfords would keep one in stock really....:ROFLMAO:

glad you got home safe john....after this start the year can only get better:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi John,

I'm really sorry to hear that you felt the way you did, but really glad to hear that the pub management came up trumps for you in your time of need.
We hope your Dad is okay, after his stay away from home. Let's hope that the rest of 2009 is kinder to you both.

Best regards,

Jock & Rita.

Thank you for being really sorry Jock:thanks2:

Dad was a worry to me but came out for the first time ever and said that was really quite nice for a short break and what pleases me even more is he's very alert.

Yes really looking forward to a happier 2009:thumb:

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Well we have finally made it home and I'd like to start by saying thanks to you all for your best wishes <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 15pt; HEIGHT: 15pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/bigGrin.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Bryan\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

As Geo said, my back has ejected a disc which is getting on my nerves, quite literally :Angry:

Anyway, enough of that, I'm now on the mend thanks to the care shown to me by my wonderful wife and some very dear friends.

The New Year meet started without Suzy and I. Our plan was to arrive on Sunday at 12:00 but I knew we'd be a little late when we didn't actually set of until 12:10 :Doh:.

Now, I'd like to tell you that this was all Suzy's fault and that if it was down to me we'd have been on time...but as she is a member of the forum and will in all likelihood read this (especially as certain members would direct her here :Doh:) I'd better hold my hand up and accept the blame with good grace <v:shape id=_x0000_i1029 style="WIDTH: 15pt; HEIGHT: 15pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/bigGrin.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Bryan\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

When we arrived at the Dirty Duck we were greeted by 'Geo' and 'Pammy' who along with 'thesims', 'georgina' and 'soundman' had already set up camp.

When 'Tony Santara' and 'RuthRV' arrived they needed water and after being directed to the water tap and filling the water tank on their RV they pitched up and put the kettle on...at least, they would have done if their tap had produced any of the aforementioned wet stuff necessary in the production of a nice cup of tea. Suspecting a fault in the plumbing they summoned the help of Geo who quickly ascertained that there was indeed a fault in the plumbing. The fault was quickly remedied by training the, ahem, 'filling operative' in the correct use of the water fill valve on his RV:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The caravan club organiser in the next field popped over to say hello and challenge us to a pub games competition the next day. We picked up the gauntlet that he had thrown down if only because our hands were beginning to feel a bit nippy in the cold December air ::bigsmile: and with that, the challenge was accepted.
The next day the games began and as all games ran concurrently we switched between pool, darts and dominoes several times. Unfortunately for us, we had to pass the bar each time we changed games and I now suspect that this clever mind game was in fact a mechanism the caravanners used to handicap us into defeat. Whilst they did beat us (they did the scoring :whistle: ) we did get presented with a 'cup' a 'plaque' and a box of Turkish Delight along with a bottle of bubbly to bring in the New Year. At this point we threw their gauntlet back at them with a challenge to a game of boules the next afternoon. They accepted the challenge but failed to show the next day. So we won that one by such a massive margin than on my reckoning the overall aggregate score is that we won :thumb::winky::ROFLMAO:.

By now most of the attendees had arrived and it was also about now that the slight(!) flaws with the campsites electricity were started to reveal themselves. If you thought you had to go to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Blackpool</st1:place> illuminations to see loads of lights flashing on and off you're wrong. Just go to the Dirty Duck when the site is nearly full and stare in wonderment as the campers lights go on and off so fast they should warn any epileptics to look away. Yes we had some electrical trips on this site last year but not so many that they were anything more than a minor nuisance. This year I personally had to reset the trips so often that I'm now a fully qualified sparky:roflmto:. Off course the site blamed the campers for daring to use anything more powerful than one TV and a light each, but as it was the MASTER trips that were failing and not the 10amp pitch ones, we quickly realised that the site is woefully under powered for so many campers. But, we're British so we soldiered on, after all, we always had the pub to seek refuge in:Blush:

On Tuesday morning we setup a drinks station for the 'Meet and Greet' and as Jim had already phoned me to say that he would not be able to make the meet (and therefore no party tent) we were very grateful that the weather despite being a little cold was very good indeed. In fact the weather for the whole meet was about as good as we could have hoped for at that time of year - no wind, no rain, one frosty morning and some sunshine.
Most if not all turned up for the 'meet and greet' and it was a great icebreaker. Unfortunately 'thesims' had to leave before the 'meet & greet' but I know that they did get chance to meet a few other members before they left.

Did I mention that they had electrical problems at the site? Well on the morning of New Years Eve' one of the main fuses blew. Now this was particularly interesting because as well as taking out some of the electric hook-ups it also took out the restaurant...you know, the restaurant that we had 45 booked in for a meal that night? Oh, yes, and this fuse can only be changed by the electric company :shout:. The landlord called them out and following a very anxious wait to see if we would have to abandon the meal (it was close!), the engineer arrived and replaced the fuse.

Now, eating at the Dirty Duck is a very curious affair. The food is by all accounts very good indeed. But I suspect that they only have three pans in the kitchen and four plates for serving on. Otherwise how can service be so slow that some had finished their sweets before others had even started their main courses? Of course, the real entertainment was when the main fuse blew again, during the meal and was replaced swiftly by the electricity company engineer (allegedly with a larger fuse) and the landlord asked us all - mid meal - to pop back to our motorhomes and switch of anything that we could otherwise it would only last 90 mins :Sad:.
With the power restored we finished our meal and enjoyed each others company until the magic hour of midnight when we brought in the new year with a drink, a rousing rendition of 'aulds lang syne' and a few kisses and colds passed on along the way :Doh:<v:shape id=_x0000_i1042 style="WIDTH: 15pt; HEIGHT: 15pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/bigGrin.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Bryan\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>. As per the tradition, we stayed until they threw us out to lock up and as it was a wee bit to cold outside to carry on like we did last year, we all said goodnight and made our way back to our motorhomes.

The next morning we all rose at 7am and took a refreshing jog down the canal towpath.

After I awoke from that particular dream (or should that be nightmare) Suzy and I set about preparing the sausage and bacon rolls that we had promised our fellow campers. By 11 o'clock-ish we had setup a breakfast station with sausage, bacon, fried eggs, coffee, tea, hot chocolate etc and everybody flocked around like 'down and outs at a soup kitchen' :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Of course, this being a much more salubrious affair we also had bucks fizz courtesy of 'Raoul' and mulled wine courtesy of 'pappajohn' . The weather was glorious and we all had a great time until early afternoon, when tradition dictates a quiet afternoon and an early night (for some, anyway :winky:)

The following day (2nd Jan) most made moves to go and although we had planned to stay another night we had to move pitches to let another motorhome out. It was whilst packing up and making shipshape that I had cause to eject a disk from my cd player. Unfortunately, as I pressed 'eject' the wrong disc came out...one in my back:Eeek:. I was thrown to the floor and with the help of my wonderful wife Suzy, managed to get onto the sofa. I stayed there for 5 hours. Now although I was stuck, WE were not. Our very dear friends that we have made through MotorhomeFun rallied round and helped pack up the RV. Several of them offered to come back after taking their own motorhome home to drive ours home for us. In the end a plan was formulated that involved the son of one pair of members coming from home and driving our RV back to their home where we could stop whilst my back righted itself. By Sunday my back was still not right and so they insisted that they drive us back home in our RV and this entailed a 6-7 hour round trip. They keep saying that is what friends are for but we still say THANK YOU so much for you help. I won't embarrass them publicly by naming them, especially as he charged more per night than the Dirty Duck and he hasn't replied to my request for a discount:ROFLMAO::winky:

Seriously though, our thanks do go out to all the attendees for coming and helping us to see our new year in in style. Thanks also to Tony and Jock for your kind offers of help, to Ruth for the medication, and to Geo, Pammy and their son Steve - without their help we may well have been at the Dirty Duck still :thumb:

All things considered we had a great time and will almost certainly arrange another New Year meet this year. There's no better way to bring in the New Year than with friends <v:shape id=_x0000_i1049 style="WIDTH: 15pt; HEIGHT: 15pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/images/smilies/bigGrin.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Bryan\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

:rollonfloor:Happy 2009!!!:rollonfloor:

Bryan & Suzy

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sounds like you guys had a great time. Reading about your electricity woes and I think all attendees should be grateful that I could not make it. Ginnie's (eldest daughter) use of her 3kw hair straighteners would have probably seen off the electrics for good. ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
pity Ginnie wasnt there Jim, her straightners WOULD have killed the leccy for good and then he would have to upgrade the site supply instead of mumbling some thing about 'getting an electrician in to have a look'.:Doh:

nice to hear you're on the mend Bryan.....stick to the radio in future. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Tony Santara

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Cheshire (ex Mancunian)
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 1994
Glad to hear your on the mend Bryan :thumb:

However you might have a relapse when you get the bill for... Call out and Recovery to your home town did you not know Geo is in the motor trade
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well done G and Pammy it's good to know you can rely on friends :thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
My low loader recovery cost the insurers £100 an hour.

Left a day late and must be hundred phone calls in that bl**dy cold car park:winky:

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Glad you got back ok John....These things happen.:RollEyes:

Was there much damage ?Brake fluid loss?

Glad you're ok as well Bryan. I can sympathise with you.I know how painful it is but hopefully with a bit of R&R you'll be well on the mend soon.
:thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Glad to hear that you are on the mend Bryan.

We had a great time. Thanks again to you and Suzy.

Well done George & Pam.

Jock & Rita.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We got back Friday but have been busy with the move. We had a great time, and smiled when Geo said that we couldnt leave a member - Brian - in such a state so it had been decided to cancel his membership :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Glad to heare your on the mend now mate. Thanks again for your hospitality inc Bacon rolls, made it worth standing in the cold. We are lookinf forward to Peterborough and then Newbury. Hope to see you all then.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back