New Year in Spain - Wintering (2 Viewers)

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Advice please.
We looked at Brittany Ferries Porsmouth to Bilbao or to Santander.
Seems that time to Bilbao is about 8h sailing out longer then to Santander or 5h sailing Back. Cost of sailing to Santander £30 more then Bilbao including to way private cabin. Driving time from Santander to Bilbao 1-1.5 h.
What is the attraction to sail to Bilbao?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
some ferries do stop at roscoff . some dont . if they do it makes it along crossing . sometimes two nights . best go in early november then you can go from plymouth .

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Thanks Alan.
Due to a new grandson due mid November, we well be able to go to Spain only early December.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Advice please.
We looked at Brittany Ferries Porsmouth to Bilbao or to Santander.
Seems that time to Bilbao is about 8h sailing out longer then to Santander or 5h sailing Back. Cost of sailing to Santander £30 more then Bilbao including to way private cabin. Driving time from Santander to Bilbao 1-1.5 h.
What is the attraction to sail to Bilbao?

The timings are the same to either Santander or Bilbao from what I'm seeing on the Brittany Ferries site. I think you must have compared with the Roscoff stopover ?

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It's only the Sunday sailing on Cap Finistere that is a 2-day trip. It leaves late at night on Sunday, does a brief stop at Roscoff next morning to change crew and then arrives Bilbao early Tuesday morning. Having arrived at both ports I don't think there's much difference, if you're heading south, as they both have good motorway connections.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
It's only the Sunday sailing on Cap Finistere that is a 2-day trip. It leaves late at night on Sunday, does a brief stop at Roscoff next morning to change crew and then arrives Bilbao early Tuesday morning. Having arrived at both ports I don't think there's much difference, if you're heading south, as they both have good motorway connections.

you could be right this winter . but in 2012 i had a crossing from portsmouth that stopped at roscoff we left on a thursday late as you say and arrived santander about 8 in the morning . and yes that one was on the cap finistere.
we were supposed to be going from plymouth and it got changed and changed . ended up with a free cabin as we hadnt ordered one from plymouth .
every thing went ok . but the pont aven is a real luxury crossing the cap finistere isnt a patch on it .
i was opn the first sailing of the pont aven . i feel at home on it . mind it did play up coming back in the spring . but great boat .
i prefer santander then drop down to burgos . across to soria and call in to canyon los lobos on the way then almazan cheap fuel there by the industrial estate . then down to laguna de gallocanta , spains biggest natural lake . in november you can see thousands of cranes(the birds ) resting on the lake on their way south to maroc . well worth a visit by anyone . not interested in bird watching but that many is interesting .
have fun .

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
you could be right this winter

And last winter, as we were on it. They do play around with their sailings depending on which boats are in dock being serviced etc.

I agree the Pont Aven is a lovely boat, but I think you're a bit hard on the Cap. The cognoscenti on the BF Enthusiasts forum reckon the Cap Finistere is a better sea-keeping boat. I hope we don't have to test that theory come this December when we do the 2-nighter again.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
must say my favourite boat with brittany ferries used to be the quiberon .used to use it frequently to get to roscoff . but wouldnt want to be on a rough bay of biscay in it . had several rough roscoff to plymouth crossings but again it felt like home . knew lots of the staff as i used it that much.
i do find bf staff very helpful and very pleasant .

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We're on the Cap Finistere but have to say a little anxious about the Bay of Biscay in November. Fortunately neither Ginny or me suffer with seasickness! 700k to Benidorm as opposed to 16ook from Calais has to be worth the risk!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
only ever had one rough biscay crossing that was years ago.
dont be put off . drink lots of cola . that helps if you start feeling sick.
i,m sure it will be ok . i,m going through early november so it better be .
try the canyon and the lagoon its near daroca .
nice good local roads and not far out your way . mind ideally stop a night in the canyon ,a night by the lagoon there is a good stop by the info center in gallocanta on google they havent got a late pic showing the info center but its there.
here is the pic of the canyon carpark ,

Attachments

• los lobas.jpg
    los lobas.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 20

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Some swear by ginger. e.g. ginger biscuits. On your way to the port remember to keep your mobile on (assuming BF have your number) in case there are any delays etc and they will text you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back