Rally Chat New Year at Shrewsbury 21/22- ANNOUNCEMENT (1 Viewer)

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
On Sunday 10th October in the early evening we will post the New Year rally at Shrewsbury showground. We can take 29 vans plus us as we are capped on numbers in the room.

The fee will be £17 per night per van including electric, although as in previous years, some of us may need to share a supply. No-one can book with the showground until they receive your name from us. Anyone booking the CL with Pitchup will not be able to join the rally event.

First 29 to reply to that thread when it goes live will go on the list, after which we will have a reserve list. This is the fairest way as the rally is always over subscribed.

We have looked at the bigger room, but heating would need to be brought in at a huge cost c£1200, and it is more susceptible to flooding.

Please be aware that the showground will retain 50% of the fees paid to them in the event that you have to cancel. This rally will run from Monday 27th Dec to Monday 3rd Jan with a minimum of 4 nights.

This is the only advance notification and we will ignore expressions of interest posted here although happy to answer questions.

Clearly if Covid restrictions are reintroduced, the rally may not run. In that situation, the full payment will be returned.

Robin & Hilary

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Just to let everyone know that after some prompting from Funsters, I have looked again at the option of using the bigger room. It would technically allow us to go up to about 250 Funsters, roughly 4 times the number planned, but after getting a local quote, the estimated cost of heating is around £1500 plus fuel for a week as multiple units would be required to give an even heat.

I would also need more sound and lighting gear than I can sensibly get in the van. Hiring locally over New Year will be both expensive and difficult given the demand and reticence of companies to hire out without them providing a sound operator.

Add to that to the significant additional risk of flooding that neither we or the showground can insure against, it's a non-starter I am afraid. Even if we can get the costs down, I really would not want to run an event of that size and complexity, with all those risk factors.

So we stick with the proven formula although on at least one occasion it came close to being cancelled when the Severn was rising fast.

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
A little bird tells me that some people want others to book for them tomorrow evening as they cannot be on-line, or two vans in one family want to either both be there, or not.

That's fair enough but to be fair to all, proxy bookings will only be accepted if we receive a PM beforehand from the Funster who wants someone else to get their name down. The message needs needs to contain the forum name of the person acting for them and the reason they can't do it themselves.

Sorry if this upsets anyone, but those then missing the boat will rightly be upset if they see one Funster booking in two or more vans.

Tomorrow evening awaits. 🤔

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Hi not sure if you received my last posting. Looking forward to meeting many more funsters.

New Years Eve is there any thing planned for that night?

Colyboy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Now that is very odd. I know I gave a detailed reply to your conversation at the time, but it's not there now. 😣

I don't have time this minute, but yes, loads going on. Will reply more fully later.

OP
OP
meanders

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi not sure if you received my last posting. Looking forward to meeting many more funsters.

New Years Eve is there any thing planned for that night?

Colyboy
Hi Paul and Ann. colyboy

Apologies..... I don't understand what happed to my original reply. 😥

For the benefit of all attending who have not been before, the rally is 'relaxed' in that anything goes... You can join in with activities or not as suits you.

We organise things every evening. In prior years we have had things like quizzes, jigsaw puzzle night, silly games night, a dart's tournament with a 'Fun' twist organised by one of the Funsters attending. The room should be open most of the time, and tea, coffee etc will be available if people just want to chat, knit, crochet, play board games etc. In the daytime we have been fortunate to have line dancing lessons and ukulele lessons by volunteers with the appropriate skills. No idea what will happen this year as it's largely dependent on attendees.

New Years Eve itself we usually have a Jacob's Table, or Pot Luck where everyone brings something to share. That may have to change if Covid is an issue. Hilary and I usually close the room late afternoon and deck the room out as surprise. Everyone sits down to eat at the same time. Some really dress up and look fabulous, others don't. In previous years we have had a session from a 10 year old Magician, grandson of Wildbill who was brilliant, live music, dancing demonstration and other entertainment by attending Funsters. I am aware that we again have some musicians coming this year but have yet to have any discussions on what folks may or may not want to volunteer.

I bring a lot of sound and lighting gear and can just run the whole evening as a disco. I think those who have attended previously are happy with the sound levels, given the number coming again. I will put another thread out shortly asking if people have any tracks that are special to them so I can do my best to ensure I have them. We celebrate midnight in style and then party on. :party2:🥳 We usually wind up between 2 and 3am.🥱

Please note that that the room is carpeted, so if you are ballroom dancers for example, there is not a lot of slip or room. 💃

It's also worth pointing out that it is upstairs, so those with real mobility issues may need some assistance.

Again in some prior years, Funsters have got together and provided bacon rolls on the next morning for a small charge. Again, as yet there been no discussion about this. We don't want to put people under pressure as we all get a year older every year. I'm also 'quiet' at the moment as I am working on a Halloween event in our village hall complete with a walk through haunted castle. This is to keep the kids from upsetting some older folk in the village who find trick or treat threatening. 👻 We have another couple of months to then organise the rally.

We are always open to suggestions from those attending. Please don't wait to be asked.

It's a 15-20 minute walk into Shrewsbury town.

Hoping this isn't too worrying and helps you both. If you have any further queries, please do ask.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Having attended before I thought it was a great meet.

Apart from that bloody jigsaw competition 😂

Hope everyone has a good time 👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back