New wing mirror required (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Fairly new, since Sept 2016
Due to a bit of an argument with a badly driven van in the Devon lanes near us we need a new driver's side wing mirror. I am failing miserably finding someone to supply and fit one of these. I tried the Mirrorman (as recommended on here) but they will only supply (£210!) and I would prefer to find someone to supply and fit to avoid any problems being blamed on the other party.

It is an Autotrail Imala and has all sorts of electric gismos in the wing mirror meaning it is not a DIY job for us. We are in Dawlish in Devon.

Whilst I am on the subject I have been (belatedly) looking at Mirrorguard protectors. Problem is our motorhome is kept on a storage site. Am I right in thinking that these guards are not easily removable for when the vehicle is in store? My husband thinks they will get nicked if they are on the vehicle in store!

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Have you tried your local Fiat dealer or other local garages. My OH has replaced ours 3 times. The only problem is that the temperature gauge no longer works. Make sure you aren’t overcharged for labour. Our son works for a large insurance company and one garage tried to charge for 3 hours labour. Son told them he had fitted ours that weekend and it took him 3/4 hour.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just an example

I have no experience of these but I would have thought the had wiring on a simple multi plug.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
I think it depends which sort you have. There are less expensive ones which are just fibreglass covers. The more expensive ones have what is claimed to be crash helmet type shock-absorbing foam inside. One of mine got hit so hard the mirror swung back and dented the door and the glass fell out but it was intact so just pushed it back in! The covers are also an extremely tight fit and have adhesive strips inside which is why I haven't tried to replace the scratched one. Yes they could be removed by a ne're-do-well but it ain't easy.

Upvote 0

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Whilst I am on the subject I have been (belatedly) looking at Mirrorguard protectors. Problem is our motorhome is kept on a storage site. Am I right in thinking that these guards are not easily removable for when the vehicle is in store? My husband thinks they will get nicked if they are on the vehicle in store!
When I put mine on our Imala I took the sticky pads off and put Stickall silicone in their place ,and when we sold it I couldn't get them OFF ,tried a few times but no way were they coming off ,so I would go ahead and get them, they are also cheaper to replace than a mirror. I would also buy the Mirror guards not some of the cheap ones

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Due to a bit of an argument with a badly driven van in the Devon lanes near us we need a new driver's side wing mirror. I am failing miserably finding someone to supply and fit one of these. I tried the Mirrorman (as recommended on here) but they will only supply (£210!) and I would prefer to find someone to supply and fit to avoid any problems being blamed on the other party.

It is an Autotrail Imala and has all sorts of electric gismos in the wing mirror meaning it is not a DIY job for us. We are in Dawlish in Devon.

Do you know what size mirror you require? You'll need either a medium- or long-arm; the difference being the length of the top arm. My knowledge of this subject was due to my own ignorance last year when on a wide road and an oncoming van decided to occupy my part of the road and wrote off my offside mirror. I thought there was only two sizes, short and long. So having ordered and fitted a long-arm mirror I realised it was too long; I have now ordered and fitted a medium-arm mirror.
They are quite easy to fit (YouTube have a few videos); although it could be a bit fiddly if you don't attach a piece of string to the wiring of the old mirror prior to removing it, so as to guide the new wiring back in.
I've a very nearly and as good as new long-arm Fiat Ducato/Peugeot Boxer electronically adjustable offside mirror with external temperature sensor. I'm about an hour away from you in Chard, Somerset.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JaneyBMotorhomer In Hants
Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Do you know what size mirror you require? You'll need either a medium- or long-arm; the difference being the length of the top arm. My knowledge of this subject was due to my own ignorance last year when on a wide road and an oncoming van decided to occupy my part of the road and wrote off my offside mirror. I thought there was only two sizes, short and long. So having ordered and fitted a long-arm mirror I realised it was too long; I have now ordered and fitted a medium-arm mirror.
They are quite easy to fit (YouTube have a few videos); although it could be a bit fiddly if you don't attach a piece of string to the wiring of the old mirror prior to removing it, so as to guide the new wiring back in.
I've a very nearly and as good as new long-arm Fiat Ducato/Peugeot Boxer electronically adjustable offside mirror with external temperature sensor. I'm about an hour away from you in Chard, Somerset.
Not sure of the size but would be very interested in your spare one if it fits. Assumed it is long but will measure tomorrow and try and check with Autotrail. Can I PM you on this site? This is what it looks like.

Attachments

• 9D061FDA-1B15-4EFF-83DB-919751C4F067.jpeg
    9D061FDA-1B15-4EFF-83DB-919751C4F067.jpeg
    300.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 21144412-E3B1-4E84-B6CF-97352A4C8E3A.jpeg
    21144412-E3B1-4E84-B6CF-97352A4C8E3A.jpeg
    370.9 KB · Views: 28
Upvote 0

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
When ours was hit, I took advice from here and bought mirror guards from eBay. They fixed over the original mirror case once I’d sealed the cracks together, and have stayed put ever since. It meant I didn’t have to buy expensive replacement long-arm mirrors. You could never tell that it was ever cracked.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Not sure of the size but would be very interested in your spare one if it fits. Assumed it is long but will measure tomorrow and try and check with Autotrail. Can I PM you on this site? This is what it looks like.
Sure, you can PM me; not too sure how that works, but if I run into difficulties I'll kidnap a passing 7-year-old. Sorry for delay in responding, but Mrs Despicable's demands have priority. There's a website somewhere giving the dimensions of the medium- and long-arm arms; I'll endeavour to find it and post it: success in doubt!

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Here's a couple of images I found on the web, the first (left) image is the Long-arm and the second (right) is the Medium-arm:
1625831702103.png
1625831853247.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
JaneyBMotorhomer In Hants
Feb 21, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
When ours was hit, I took advice from here and bought mirror guards from eBay. They fixed over the original mirror case once I’d sealed the cracks together, and have stayed put ever since. It meant I didn’t have to buy expensive replacement long-arm mirrors. You could never tell that it was ever cracked.
I would do that but the arms are totally mangled too 😥

Upvote 0

Deleted User

Probably not much use to the OP but for future ‘victims’ but after much research recently used the above company to buy a new assembly (long arm Fiat Ducato) with integral heated mirrors (top and bottom), electronically operated and temperature sensor, as good as OEM (manufacturers’ quality) £59 + £6.99 next day delivery. Took less than an hour to fit (watch YouTube videos). No difference to the original.

We had a proper mirror guard on, which I would highly recommend! Do not buy the milenco ones they are just rain covers! (IMHO). We have had a number of very minor dings on tight roads or campsites, which have polished out without a trace.

The big strike occurred in Scotland this year on a notorious piece of road (so I found out afterwards!) with a hire moho coming out of a bend too far over the road caused a severe crashing sound (closing impact mirror to mirror 75-80 mph!). Needless to say they did not stop. Our mirror arm was retracted against our driver‘s door window, the top mirror had popped out of its holder and was hanging by the heating element wire (which saved it from loss) and the bottom mirror poped out and lost entirely. The result was a minor crack to the mirror guard and the mirror housing, and indicator repeater lens smashing. Meant we could continue with our tour (without bottom close proximity mirror), but had a fully operational main mirror (i now carry a spare). Decided to replace both to be on the safe side, but equally could have glued it up and carried on using it.

Subsequently during our tour around that area of Scotland saw many MOHOs on the laybys (without mirror guards) with totally destroyed mirror units, just two skeletons of metal arms left!

Attachments

• 6C844D07-A19A-40CB-8070-E3424C06C42D.jpeg
    6C844D07-A19A-40CB-8070-E3424C06C42D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread