New website for finding a travel partner (1 Viewer)

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hello everyone, I've been reading this thread with interest and wondering why I did not look/find it earlier. I have just returned from my first solo adventure in France and it was amazing and SO much easier than I had anticipated. Prior to going I had wound myself up a bit about all kinds of things......planning routes to the nth degree, however, once I was there it all went out of the window, as the joy of motor homing is to have the freedom to go wherever you want, which is exactly what I did.

The biggest problem I had initially was that my brand new Garmin Camper Satnav did not work when I came out of the Eurotunnel. It would appear that it only had North Europe loaded and was bloody useless for France. Three days in, I met a couple going back to the UK who sold me their old but working Tom Tom, and from thereon in, all was fine. Amazon said the Garmin came pre-loaded with lifetime all of Europe maps which is misleading (well for me anyway).

I did a mixture of Aires/Campsites and wild camping and never felt overwhelmed or unsafe, although it was a big learning curve. For instance, I got caught out when an Aire is right next door to a municipal site, with both charging the same, yet the campsite has all the facilities you need. I noticed this in quite a few places. I also found that some Aires were very expensive, so I moved on somewhere else. Le Touquet now charges €15 for parking and an extra €2 for water or electricity!!!

The roads are a dream to drive on, and not at all busy (at this time of year) compared to the UK. On a couple of occasions I got stuck behind a big piece of farm machinery travelling at 20kph, and as I couldn't safely see past to overtake, I just had to relax and wait until it turned off.....which is no big deal really.

It was a fabulous 3 weeks covering nearly 2,000 miles and I can't wait to go back. It would be nice to share some of these experiences so I will keep watching this space to see what you guys are planning.

It's a beautiful sunny day here in Yorkshire which reminds me that the UK is also a fantastic place to explore.

Have a fab day everyone xx
Well done, glad to enjoyed your trip hope you have many more :)
Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I just read your intro post and not all the pages but wanted to say we have found that you have to turn on and programme your Garmin camper satnav once you have crossed a sea. It does not work if programmed or left on in advance.
That was our experience.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I think I saw more cars on my way home from Dover yesterday than on the road in the past week in France.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stewart

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
England
Funster No
MH
Devon Monte Carlo van con
Exp
many years
Motogp groupie. Changing the subject altogether, I am a solo traveller going to all the European Motogps this year.I have just been to the Jerez round and I am making my way to Le Mans.
Is there anyone else out there doing a similar trip or would be interested in doing so?

Feb 3, 2008
ireland
Funster No
MH
class a r.v.
Exp
10yrs
any body fancy a trip to Portugal this comming winter say nov,till march, go as a group return as a group, thoughts please.:)

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Already booked my ferry for 26th September to Bilbao. Planning on turning right into Portugal, follow that all the way round to La Manga. Want to get there for 30th November, 60 birthday, Christmas and New Year on the rally, after that no idea (y)

Linda jane

Free Member
Oct 17, 2017
Reading Berkshire uk
Funster No
MH
Mercedes landsleeper spr
Exp
One year
I am Interested in finding travel friends. Been on the road now 11 weeks mostly solo, and only met two people for half a day.
Hi I know this is quite an old post but if any of you are up to traveling to Europe this year (2018) I would love to join you I have been out in the UK several times on my own but usually end up following my sister and her husband because evenings alone just Aren't fun would love to travel with fun people
Lj

Stewart

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
England
Funster No
MH
Exp
many years
Hi, Linda,
When are you looking to go? I have been wandering around Europe since last November (2016) and I will continue in 2018.
The only thing is I have arranged a flyaway for the winter and I won't be back until the beginning of March. If this suits, let me know and we can meet up. I am coming back to the U.K. around the end of November.
Stewart

Linda jane

Free Member
Oct 17, 2017
Reading Berkshire uk
Funster No
MH
Mercedes landsleeper spr
Exp
One year
Hi Stewart
I can do short trips but won't be on the road until June by then I'll have moved house and be ready to take the leap.
Lj

Stewart

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
England
Funster No
MH
Exp
many years
Lj,
it would make sense for us to talk to each other. I am very flexible with my travelling and we may have common ground. Am I allowed to give you my direct contact info.?
Stewart

daved2524

Free Member
Jan 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
5th wheel and a Nissan
Exp
Since April 2016
Time has come round again so planning my next trip. This time I plan to look at central Portugal for Christmas and new year then south to the Algarve, east to Faro area January - Feb then over to Spain to be back, well you never know, may be never. I do not need a travel partner but if anyone wants to tag along at some time that’s fine with me. I am looking at getting the Ferry from Portsmouth to Santander on the 5th Dec. As I have a 5th wheeler I will be sticking to sites. If anyone knows of any sites they can recomend that would be fantastic.

Kjack

Free Member
Sep 1, 2017
Chard
Funster No
MH
Iveco daily
Exp
Since 2010
Hi to all you funsters out there I am coming of the boat 14 January 18 santander going to trundle around the coast to the algarve back up through the costas apasolotle no rush if there is anyone else wants to tag along get in touch. Kjack (kev )

Linda jane

Free Member
Oct 17, 2017
Reading Berkshire uk
Funster No
MH
Mercedes landsleeper spr
Exp
One year
Sounds wonderful but not ready yet hope you have a great trip though and the weather stays good back in 1970 when I was in the Canaries the bay of Barcelona had frozen over not sure if that was a freak event but must have been really cold for that to happen . Just in case take some warm clothes with you.
Lj

Mar 14, 2017
Peak District
Funster No
MH
4 wheels on my wagon
Exp
Since 2013
Travelling solo is much better abroad. No, you might not have someone to share an evening meal with but that’s a small cost to pay for traveling Europe and you might meet interesting people along the way.

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Sounds good and if any ladies enjoy fishing as well I'm in Good to have company and enjoy a laugh together bit is security as well if wild camping

Charles9

Free Member
Feb 12, 2018
Cullompton
Funster No
Exp
30 odd years motor homing still learning !
Hi all, this of group sounds like in most the type of thing i'm looking people in the similar position and would like to still travel and interact with like minded people.

Feb 9, 2018
Carmarthen, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Dec 2017
Hi, Only joined this site on Friday and already feel Park of a great group of people, but like lots of others, I’m single and a newbie to motorhoming and just got back from my third weekend away (I still work full time) but would love to travel in a convoy with others, I’ve already booked up for Easter, Soring Bank Holiday and August Bank Holiday, but have another couple of weeks to book so if there’s anything going on......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back