New water filling hosepipe suggestions. (1 Viewer)

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Time to get a new hosepipe to carry in the van for filling fresh water, any suggestions?
I have tried the common or garden hose, too bulky and hard to coil when cold. Also tried the flat roll-up type hose, hard to roll up after use as difficult to get all the water out and twists when unrolling stopping the flow. Considering a self retracting elastic type hose, any good?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Roughly how long will you take to fill my 450l tank? 55 trips with a 2 gallon can, if you start at breakfast you can be finished by lunch. And have a couple of Ibuprofen for the aching arm. :LOL:
Would be bad enough with my 160 Lt tank, like me I expect your van has wheels and an engine, it makes filling easy. :rofl:

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We take a slimline 6L watering can and a flat hose for a serviced pitch. If I'm using the watering can I take a 5L water bottle too. 11L per trip soon has the tank full šŸ˜Š

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Roughly how long will you take to fill my 450l tank? 55 trips with a 2 gallon can, if you start at breakfast you can be finished by lunch. And have a couple of Ibuprofen for the aching arm. :LOL:
450ltrs ? Wow, that's a lot of water, [ 100 gallons in old money, or 1,000lbs].
Mike

Upvote 0

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I use a 10l watering can and a 10l container. 7 trips and itā€™s full from empty. Thatā€™s only carrying 20kgs each trip so not exactly difficult.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We have a mix of both expanding and a cheap normal blue hose from b and q. As we have been mostly on CAMC sites the expanding hoses have not been used. I have lost a couple of the expanding ones over the last 3 years when the water pressure has been too strong as it can burst the inner liner.

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
You purchase a food quality hose to fill your FW tank.

Then when you run low you fill up from a garage or some other place. How do you know that the water is not coming via lead rusty iron pipes?

We use tank water for everything but if drinking it boil it or drink bottled water.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Redcar/Cambrils, Spain
Funster No
MH
Now Tugging
Exp
More with boats than Moho
I recommend an expanding hose. The first one I bought was cheap and didnā€™t last but they are so much more convenient and lighter than roll up hoses I splashed out on a better quality one. I now have two so that I can join them up when needed.
I use one of these too, hang them up from the middle and water drains out quite quickly, only problem that I have found is that if the water pressure is low they don't extend to their full length

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I carry one of these. It fits neatly in my garage when not in use:

1621847104807.png

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
We have three solutions having come across a wide disparity in how far the tap is from the bus.

First option is when on a serviced pitch. We use a blue food grade hose because we want to avoid hose poisoning (No, its about the taste. Why does it taste odd? Because the hose isn't made of NSF International-listed polymers and therefore the internal surfaces can leach into the water. Probably not harmful, just nasty tasting)

Second option is when on site for some time, but no tap in range. We carry a 55 litre water hog. Fill it up with however much we need and wheel it to under the water intake. Out battery compartment is next to the water so I rig up a Whale GP1002 Submersible Pump onto the battery terminals and it sucks up the water into the moho tank. Takes about five minutes to empty the water hog.

Third option is a watering can for when I can't be bothered to do either of the above.

My biggest issue with water is that my water inlet isn't compatible with the so-called Universal hoselock water filler caps. Universal my arse. Has anyone else found that the Universal water filler cap doesn't fit their intake and what did they do about it?

Upvote 0

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
There is a type of flat hose that is rigid and doesn't need the water forced out before re-rolling it up - and also doesn't need to be fully unwound to use it. It is much slower at filling than a normal hose with a wider diameter but we tend not to be in a hurry and just leave in place filling for 30 minutes or so - keeping an eye on it. It is easy and quick to put back on the roll afterwards. Google for "Brunner Roll On 2 Hose"

We had one of those but it split near the end because the reel bent the end around too much.

Upvote 0

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
This is what we have now. So far so good with zero tainting of the water.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
You're right - I wouldn't use one in a queue. I've only ever used on serviced pitch. Otherwise I generally tend to just do a couple of trips with a 10 litre watering can.
Try a 10 litre water container much more convenient to store than a watering can. We used one of those three micro reels but it took forever however the flexible hose seems the same pressure as a normal garden hose ( which I would never use again).

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We have three solutions having come across a wide disparity in how far the tap is from the bus.

First option is when on a serviced pitch. We use a blue food grade hose because we want to avoid hose poisoning (No, its about the taste. Why does it taste odd? Because the hose isn't made of NSF International-listed polymers and therefore the internal surfaces can leach into the water. Probably not harmful, just nasty tasting)

Second option is when on site for some time, but no tap in range. We carry a 55 litre water hog. Fill it up with however much we need and wheel it to under the water intake. Out battery compartment is next to the water so I rig up a Whale GP1002 Submersible Pump onto the battery terminals and it sucks up the water into the moho tank. Takes about five minutes to empty the water hog.

Third option is a watering can for when I can't be bothered to do either of the above.

My biggest issue with water is that my water inlet isn't compatible with the so-called Universal hoselock water filler caps. Universal my arse. Has anyone else found that the Universal water filler cap doesn't fit their intake and what did they do about it?
we only use the on board water for shower and washing up. Drinking water is via a 5 Litre bottle that we keep refilling.

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
we only use the on board water for shower and washing up. Drinking water is via a 5 Litre bottle that we keep refilling.

(So do we! I have an extraordinarily delicate tummy when it comes to drinking other people's water...:sicker:šŸ¤®šŸ’©. I am very aware that you didn't want to know that!!!)

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I use one of these too, hang them up from the middle and water drains out quite quickly, only problem that I have found is that if the water pressure is low they don't extend to their full length
See my suggestion at #29

Upvote 0
OP
OP
68c

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Like a lot of folk I fitted a caravan style Whale water inlet which accepts a submersible pump. I fitted an external illuminated switch next to the inlet so I can easily top up from a 10Litre can without having to go into the van to switch the pump on and off.

20210524_124911.jpg

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Many thanks for the suggestions, have ordered an expanding hosepipe from Amazon.

Tip .. when they are full of water they are pressurised. Obvious I know, but I forgot that just before we left Southampton on Tuesday last week, and disconnected at the tap end. My jeans were dry again by Birmingham.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you are unable to carry a full container, you don't need to fill it.
You could fill them up more as you get more practice and build up strength.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I got 2 of these with a in-line connector if I'm more than 10m from the tap and I join them together. They are small and easy to store away. Some people say don't use these garden hose's as you will die or get sick , but I've been OK

<Broken link removed>
I've used one of these for years along with a selection of Hozelock tap fittings, always works fine, UK and Europe. Simply flush through with the tap water for a short while and fill tank. Empty after use (gravity is your friend) roll up on the holder and store. We normally wipe the ends with sanitiser wipes prior to use. Don't bother with the nozzle gun.

Reactions: 68c
Upvote 0
Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Strange having loaded 2nd gas onto Harvey, the space used for hose storage was now severely limited. I remembered having a flat hose years ago and thought I know lets search MH Fun - there's bound to be a thread and references there . Hey you started without me............

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Strange, I put a brand new food safe hose in the classifieds a couple of weeks ago and absolutely no interest in it

Upvote 0

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
I have jointed metal hoses, like showers do. I bust two of the expanding ones while away two years ago and couldnā€™t fill up, so I vowed to get something more durable. Then I never used them at all, because everywhere had hoses. I have a fancy-pants water filter, and have never noticed any taint or been ill. If I didnā€™t, I wouldn't drink water from my tanks anyway, because it is less work for me to refill drinking water bottles direct from the tap than it is to muck about sterilising everything. Watering cans as back up (even though they are a pain to store) because they ALWAYS work, even if I canā€™t be bothered to move the van. I just use the garden hose at home.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Just normal garden hose here. Obviously itā€™s going to kill me (I read it on here)

Using food grade hose is not for health its for taste. We always used regular hose, till one day I bought a new hose to go with a new van. The hose imparted a rubber tasting taint so bad we couldnā€™t use the tank to fill a kettle, you could still taste it 6 months later!

I ran water through that hose for a whole weekend and it tainted every pint that went though it. Ive come accoss other such hosepipes over the years, not many, Iā€™d say one in ten are bad and taint the tank. Being the tea connoisseur that I am, I try not to risk finding that 1 in 10.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back