New vans with dodgy cheap parts??? (1 Viewer)

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
I’ve read in a few places now people are taking deliver of vans and not everything is as it should be, parts are being substituted due to availability.
we have a new van on order that’s already been delayed by 3 months costing near 150k I’m getting a bit worried this is a high end van what if the electronics like pumps, chargers, control panels and so on are exchange for cheaper ones due to availability?
How will we know?
More importantly where will all stand?
I hope it’s all as it should be when it finally shows up next year, but if substandard parts have been used then they should be replaced with the correct ones at a later date after all if we’ve paid for high end reliable parts we should get them.

just really wanted to know if people are checking and what are other people’s feelings?

Thanks

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Lets face it, few of us even check it has the right motor in it, never mind a pump or control board. So long as you are happy with the brand and are happy that everything works, then you probably need to chill.

You will probably find that the small print says they can substitute everything at the best of times due to availability.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
They might use higher spec parts if the original spec is not available. I suspect its either cancel and wait for the normal supply to resume or take what comes unless it causes a problem.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I wouldn't dare buy new at this time. I've friends who work at a motorhome manufacturers and building scrap is an understatement.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Even high end vans use many of the same parts ,as long as it meets legal and conformity regulations i doubt theres any thing you can do .

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I know some fittings, fridge,oven etc are named in the manufacturers brochure but I can never recollect pumps and the like specified so may be hard to check. As previously said the small print will allow changes but you would hope any reputable manufacturer would substitute to at least the same spec.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
All the bits are made in China anyway so why worry.Even top branded items are manufactured in China ,Taiwan and just badged up with the brand name.
I used to work for an aerospace company ,any Rolls Royce items with machined parts had to be sourced from Cina or similar to keep costs down we were always under immense pressure to source parts from China,India rather than the UK.

OP
OP
jako999

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
I know what your saying is correct and we will get what ever turns up it just annoys me a bit after all in the past I’ve bought cheap things and they don’t last even things like led roof lights the ones at £2 each failed in the first 6 months where as the £6 ones were still working 5 years later.

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
I understand that due to supply issues, Autotrail have deleted the underslung tank on the expedition range, replacing it with gas bottles.

This is probably a good way to do it - de-spec your entry level van, try to keep your higher end (more profitable) van lines going.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back