New Van. Should I add European cover later? (1 Viewer)

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Hi all

Just sorting insurance for the new van out (our first). getting a quote of £315 from Caravan Guard.

Its an extra £85 for European insurance and Road Side recovery. I don't think we will venture that far until at least April May next year so I am wondering do I add it now and swallow the extra cost so I can forget about it later or just add it on when we know we need it?

I would imagine it would half the price as its only for a portion of the year but then I guess they could charge me an admin fee that then swallows up the saving.

Anyone got any advice on this from there own history.

Thanks Dave

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Not quite Dave. I did the same; waited til I needed it and it is the same price whenever you add it. Plus you will also have to add the £15:00 or so admin fee to make the change. (n) If you can wait for a year, leave it, but if you're like me add it now. I actually put off my first ever trip abroad for that reason and stayed in the uk. Will certainly add it at renewal though(y)

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Hi all

Just sorting insurance for the new van out (our first). getting a quote of £315 from Caravan Guard.

Its an extra £85 for European insurance and Road Side recovery. I don't think we will venture that far until at least April May next year so I am wondering do I add it now and swallow the extra cost so I can forget about it later or just add it on when we know we need it?

I would imagine it would half the price as its only for a portion of the year but then I guess they could charge me an admin fee that then swallows up the saving.

Anyone got any advice on this from there own history.

Thanks Dave
If it's a new van and a fiat base does it not come with manufacture camper recovery which will cover you in the uk and Europe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
If it's a new van and a fiat base does it not come with manufacture camper recovery which will cover you in the uk and Europe
Fiat Camper will cover the breakdown side of things here and abroad, but you will still need the Insurance side of the cover. Unfortunately with Caravan Guard it is a joint cover.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
I don't think we will venture that far until at least April May next year

Grasp the nettle. Compared to the other costs of buying/running an MH this cost is nothing. I have often found that insurance companies use their own versions of a calculator when determining a pro-rata premium so I have ended up paying (say) 9 months premium for 6 months cover.

Go for it so that you can suffer the poor GBP/EUR rate with the rest of us.:D

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Fiat Camper will cover the breakdown side of things here and abroad, but you will still need the Insurance side of the cover. Unfortunately with Caravan Guard it is a joint cover.
I think the breakdown cover is an extra £85, I've just left caravan guard (excellent company) as they want a tracker/alarm fitted to my van as standard and they told me recovery is extra so just the insurance can be taken

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
I think the breakdown cover is an extra £85, I've just left caravan guard (excellent company) as they want a tracker/alarm fitted to my van as standard and they told me recovery is extra so just the insurance can be taken
My insurance is up in Dec - OMG nearly a year gone already... and I will see for sure on renewal. When I asked about Euro cover in the Summer, they quoted £85 for both, plus the obligatory admin fee. (n) Maybe a miss understanding on both parties:cautious:, but will soon be the wiser.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Especially as it's a new Van, why not have a tracker and alarm? ?

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Especially as it's a new Van, why not have a tracker and alarm? ?
Had one on my first van, cost me close on a bag of sand for three years cover plus I keep it at home which is secure with a cut out switch so small risk really
If it was to be stolen I would prefer to have a replacement van if am honest Sue, Andrain Flux don't ask for either but offer me like for like replacement and were cheaper
One interesting thing I did find out was fitting a dash cam is considered a Saftey feature yet a reversing camera is considered a modification so possibly costing me more on my premium if I fitted one:eek:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Try Comfort you will get full European cover their European breakdown cover (£60) is optional and you won't need that for the first two years.

I just phoned Comfort to see how much my new (due March) will cost, I was surprised it will be the same price but will need a tracker as over £75k but doesn't have to have an alarm. Vans between 55k and 75k needs either a tracker or alarm.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Try NFU at Louth they don't require either on even much higher values, no breakdown cover though.

OP
OP
davidathomas42
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for the info guys.
Looked over some paperwork today for the van and it does indeed still have European breakdown cover from the manufacturer so I unticked the box and saved £44. Added the Insurance for Europe though so as least now we can blast off where ever we like for the next year :)

£356 for the year so happy at that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back