New twin LNB for oyster 3 (1 Viewer)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’ve got an oyster 3 with only a single lnb, I’m going to change it for a twin for the humax twin recorder freesat I now have.

Any suggestions for a good one appreciated, especially one for Europe (y)

Thanks..

Last edited:

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I would suggest that it would be a good idea to ring Oyster Sat-tech as they will be able to supply the correct item. Their lnb’s are more expensive than on eBay but I think better quality, got my last replacement from them a few years ago and it has been fine.

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good morning,

Any LNB you buy could work with your Oyster system however the LNB's we use are specifically checked to make sure that they do work with them.
The problem is that no LNB is specifically made for an Automatic Satellite system so there's no guarantee that the LNB you buy will relay the signal down to the control unit in the 0.2 seconds that's required.
All our LNB's are individually checked to make sure that they do the job in the required time but because of this they are a little more expensive than what you'll find online.
My adivce, if you buy from elsewhere, would be to make sure that you get a 0.2db LNB as they are normally quite good. We use MTI, Humax and Inverto normally so any of them would be a good choice. I would also make sure that you can return it and get a refund should it not do the job in the time required.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Also, when it comes to Europe the Inverto Black Ultra is a good choice. Same as above though and also they have a small quirk that you may or may not experience.
The Black Ultra is a high gain LNB so fantastic for the fringes of the reception area however they can suffer a little in the center of the signal due to them filtering out more noise than a standard LNB and, as Astra 2 is made up of 3 separate satellites, you could find that certain channels suffer from a little pixelisation from time to time.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Good morning,

Any LNB you buy could work with your Oyster system however the LNB's we use are specifically checked to make sure that they do work with them.
The problem is that no LNB is specifically made for an Automatic Satellite system so there's no guarantee that the LNB you buy will relay the signal down to the control unit in the 0.2 seconds that's required.
All our LNB's are individually checked to make sure that they do the job in the required time but because of this they are a little more expensive than what you'll find online.
My adivce, if you buy from elsewhere, would be to make sure that you get a 0.2db LNB as they are normally quite good. We use MTI, Humax and Inverto normally so any of them would be a good choice. I would also make sure that you can return it and get a refund should it not do the job in the time required.

Thanks for that info, I have looked at your site but cannot find one or how much one would be..?

Could you enlighten me how I could get one please..? (y)

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Yeah, we do not have an online store or anything like that. We are more a repair center but we do keep the LNB's in stock and will happily sell you one.
The Twin LNB from ourselves would cost £106.92 + VAT and delivery so more expensive than you will find elsewhere but it does come with a years warranty.
If you would like to place an order please contact Margaret in our office on 01858575928.

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
I’ve got an oyster 3 with only a single lnb, I’m going to change it for a twin for the humax twin recorder freesat I now have.

Any suggestions for a good one appreciated, especially one for Europe (y)

Thanks..

Look on eBay the Inverto Black Ultra twin is about £18 free delivery

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Good morning,

Hi.
Any chance you could explain that "0.2 seconds" a little more? Once the LNB is powered it works instantly and it outputs a constant signal / frequency as long as the local oscillator is stable. When aligning a conventional or motorised dish with a spectrum analyser the "spikes" on the bird are instantly shown as long as the spectrum has a fast enough screen refresh rate. So... this .2 second thing confuses me but happy to learn
Cheers

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Vansflyer,

Yes that's correct but then using a spectrum analyser with a manual setup is a slightly more user involved process and the dish is being moved a lot slower and less frequently than our systems are giving a lot more than the minimum required time for a signal to be shown.
Obviously the signal needs to get from the LNB down to the Oyster control unit which, however fast the LNB is transmitting, is going to take time (it can't not) - usually around 0.2 seconds.
As the Oyster is spinning, the LNB will see all sorts of signals and they will be constantly changing as it rotates. Once the correct signal is received from the LNB the dish will stop and then begin the fine tuning process. Some LNB's (mainly units that are aged admittedly) do not relay the signal to the control unit quick enough for the Oyster to recognise the correct signal is being received and therefore will not send the stop command and engage the fine tuning process. What happens then is that the system just spins endlessly and will not find a signal on any satellite searched. I'm not an LNB expert by any means so I can't give you the technical specifics although I've seen it with my own eyes on LNB's both new and used so I know it happens. Just one of things I guess.

Also, I will point out that the main reason for an Oyster system spinning aimlessly is normally frequency problems and not LNB but I was just pointing out that it can happen.

Sep 10, 2017
North Brum
Funster No
MH
A Class
Hi Anthony and thanks for that, appreciate you taking the time to answer. At a guess the Oyster is looking for a specific "sat unique" Transponder and if it doesn't find it it shoots past and alters the elevation and has another go. As LNB's age they do wander on frequencies (also temperature affects them), that's why the commercial stuff on Vsat etc uses PLL ones so they are "cock on". I'll shut up now as I guess I have sent everyone to sleep... but thanks again for the response.

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Helloooo,
Well I have now got the bits I need, New twin LMB and twin cable.
Now to connections,

Do I connect one cable to the sat-controller and then to the back of the humax (sat 1) and put the other cable straight to the humax (sat 2)..?

The connections you see in the pictures are what is connected now with my old set-up...

If I put the twin cable straight to the humax box would the dish still be able to lock on to satellites..?

Hope I’ve explained enough.. .

A02CC261-A1D6-467D-BC0E-1B55FEBACE36.jpeg
959784A8-4A30-4B80-91EC-FAEFE231851B.jpeg
DB713B11-B3D6-4196-8DF5-44493CD37BD4.jpeg
8FA78370-CFF7-41FF-9D77-0AF9706BDC69.jpeg
0935095E-E229-46D1-AA08-69C41FE0B172.jpeg

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good afternoon,

Exactly right.
One input needs to go into the Oyster Receiver (silver box your holding) in order for the system to search and be able to acquire a picture. You then loop out of the receiver into your Humax box. From your pictures there is already a black coax coming out of the "Sat out" on the receiver so in theory you should be able to plug that black lead directly into the Humax box if it's long enough to get there. Then you simply plug the second feed from the dish directly into the Humax box.
The only thing you will have to remember to do is to put the Oyster Receiver into AV mode when it's locked to Astra 2 in order to open the loop and transfer the signal into the Humax box. To do this simply press AV on the Oyster remote which will then display AV in the little mouse.

Any problems please let me know.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back