New 'Toy' (e bike) Looking at charging batteries. (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
As in the title. We have taken possession of two AS ebikes. The charger for them says 36v 1.8amps output.
Question. Is there anything out there, similar to the charger we have for the laptop where we can charge the 18v we need from the batteries without it going through an inverter. ie 12v up to 36v .
Thanks in advance.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Normally because of the electronics in the battery that talk to the charger you can't just connect 36 volts to them. We just use a 1000 watt pure sine inverter for our Bosh batteries.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
You might be lucky in finding a high power buck boost cc/cv converter but usually these are low amp devices.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
This is one I found with a decent explanation of what it does/ how it works if you aren't sure.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
They are just power supplies/ voltage converters probably won't work charging a bike battery.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have a 1000w pure sine wave inverter that we use to charge our e batteries.
What you are talking about is a step up transformer which is really a simplified description of an inverter. 12v ( via 230v) to 36v.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
They are just power supplies/ voltage converters probably won't work charging a bike battery.
Doesn't quite quite work like that lenny, there is no funny black magic going on, they don't communicate with each other other than sensing the voltage level.
It is the cc / cv properties of the buck booster that regulates it.
A fully charged 36v battery is around 42v depending on chemistry type, so you set the booster in CV (Constant voltage mode) and it will endeavour to "push" that voltage toward the battery, it will supply whatever amps the battery requires and naturally taper off to zero amps as it approaches the 42v setting. It's nothing more than simple chemistry and flow of electrons. When there's no space left for the electrons to move into the battery, they stop flowing.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
You need to be careful here!

Your batteries may be high density lithium based, if they are wet lead acid or gel then ignore this advice

I don't know your set up but I assume your charger is separate from your e bike battery and you plug this (your charger) into the mains240v to get 36v out that then plugs into your bike battery for charging.

As in the title. We have taken possession of two AS ebikes. The charger for them says 36v 1.8amps output.
Question. Is there anything out there, similar to the charger we have for the laptop where we can charge the 18v we need from the batteries without it going through an inverter. ie 12v up to 36v .
Thanks in advance.

If this is the case, your e bike might be using LiPo batteries, and they need very careful charging using a microprocessor controlled charging system.

If not Lipo even Li-on need careful charging. Connecting any old thing to your battery will damage your lithium based battery and could result in a nasty fire.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Doesn't quite quite work like that lenny, there is no funny black magic going on, they don't communicate with each other other than sensing the voltage level.
I'm sure our Bosh ones do also a bit dangerous just poking volts on li-on batteries.

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
All the "microprocessor" in any charger is doing is ensuring the desired cap voltage is not exceeded.
Lead acid are no different really, just much less sensitive to a bad outcome. You put more than 15v into a lead acid and it will boil.
The same will happen with lipo/liIon just in a much more destructive way.
If you know the chemistry of the battery used then you can dial in the desired voltage you want it to regulate and it will be mo more or less safe than a £200 bench charger.
The only time you'll see a difference is when you have a BALANCE charger, which will look at individual cells and charge /discharge accordingly, but those are easily recognised by the fact the plug will have more than just a pozzy and neggy terminal. It will have a balance wire for every cell group in the pack.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Even a negative response can be seen as a good comment. But I'm trying my best to stay positive. Boom!Boom! I'll get me coat.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
My E:fag just plugs in to my computer...

Don`t know if it`s the same for an E:bike...

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
My E:fag just plugs in to my computer...

Don`t know if it`s the same for an E:bike...

Behave or I'll send you Oop! proper North. Over the border to Nasty Nic(ola) country.

Last edited:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
We just plug ours into our Sterling 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter via the supplied 240v chargers and normally charge them when we are driving if possible, but as we have 240 Ah of lithium batteries, not essential to be on the move.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
It is the cc / cv properties of the buck booster that regulates it.
A fully charged 36v battery is around 42v depending on chemistry type, so you set the booster in CV (Constant voltage mode) and it will endeavour to "push" that voltage toward the battery, it will supply whatever amps the battery requires and naturally taper off to zero amps as it approaches the 42v setting.
You have to set the current limit in Constant Voltage (CV) mode, so that the max charging current of the battery is not exceeded. Also check that the output does not crowbar down when the current limit is exceeded, as some power supplies do.

Also you have to switch off the charger when the battery is fully charged. Lithium batteries do not require or like being float charged. A simple timer would be OK, in the absence of any microprocessor control.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back