Free Member
Aug 9, 2021
Bathgate, UK
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
New
My wife and I have had very limited experience of motorhome, which was a fortnight in France 2 yrs ago, during which we covered the best part of 5,000km and visited Lyon, the Auvergne, Le Puy en Velay, Agde, Carcasson, Toulouse, Bordeaux, La Rochelle, Tours & Orleans. That said, it is a long held ambition to have our own one and I am of the opinion that a 4/5 berth French or German A class would be the best option fot us, our dog and son. Any thoughts and advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi welcome,

Layout, layout, then payload payload.

Particularly as there is more than 2 of you.

Then what manufacturer and age you choose will be down to how deep your pockets are.

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
:hi2: w2f :cheers: sounds like you've got the bug Douglas.

Accessibility and ease of operation of kit such as beds, toilets, showers water and electrical systems. Base vehicle? Transmission/ fuel. Parking at home or in secure storage? Dealer / repair networks. PAYLOAD vs the kit you expect to carry. Loads to think about so enjoy the planning (y)

OP
OP
DouglasF

DouglasF

Free Member
Aug 9, 2021
Bathgate, UK
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one yet
Exp
New
Hello and welcome . That doesn’t sound like limited experience as you covered so many miles 👍🏻. Sounds like a brilliant holiday.
Yup. Learned a lot in a short time in a hired vehicle which suffered a bit due to my inexperience. Fortunately I took the option for the reduced excess, thank goodness! Since then I’ve gained considerable experience of large vans through a change of job, so that should be a thing of the past.

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Family Matters Hello GIF

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Most French vans are designed to be under 3500 kg. We were near Albi and the Police were pulling in and checking the weight of all motorhomeS including ours. We were (luckily under by 30 kg) the transport dept man was very friendly and spoke very good English. He explained that they caught a much higher percentage of France built vans than others owing to their low payloads. In over twenty eight years of travelling in Europe that was the only time I have been stopped and weighed (2017)

Last edited:

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from The Cotswolds! (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements