New to this! (Help pleeease) (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2021
Funster No
MH
Dont own one yet
Hey All… really new here.

My partner and I are looking to buy a second hand motor home over the next 6 months.

We will be living permanently in the motorhome and need some help…

1. Could anyone please recommend the best make and models? (Hoping for a 4 or 6 birth max weight 3.5T)
  2. How many miles a year is around average?
  3. Things to avoid or look out for?
  4. Are changes to interior generally easy to make in most motorhomes?

Really appreciate any help anyone may be able to offer!

Thanks in advance

Jo&Fleur

Aug 12, 2020
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Accordo 120
Exp
Sept 2019
:hi2: w2f:cheers: There's a few websites and YouTube Channels that you could take a look at and they may help with your questions. Out-and-outlive on the Web, The Motorhome Man on YouTube. This site if you explore it with the search engine. Look for things like buyers guides to help avoid potential pitfalls. Payload is another important consideration given the number of beds you are considering as well as safe parking at home vs storage parking. Take your time, do your research, buy with care....and you can get some good deals on kit etc., here in the classifieds.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
That's(y) good advice from Dramfineday above.
Question: do you have a driving license that allows you to drive above 3500KG's known as C1? if not for 4/6 people aboard you will need one asap.
In my opinion based on experience over the years, there are no van available that will be fit for purpose, & legal to drive for 4 people let alone 6 to to reside in on a casual i.e short term basis ( holiday) let alone full time basis under 3500KG's, you will need at least 5000KG's Plus.
You have to consider:
1, Budget to buy the van, then monthly to live sites, food, fuel, fill with water & empty waste legally, so many options but more difficult in the UK
2. Payload allowing for weight of all things like people, their personal stuff, weight of stored water, fuel, spare wheel, tools, bikes....the list is endless, and most of us have to make compromises to stay legal.
3.Layout that suits for full time.......very difficult as its, trial & error, even for the self builders that know more about these things as they live it day to day.
4. Following a lot of full timers as I do, they all have realised, that you will at some point need a base (home) to work from, not just for insurance, health, or mail purposes, but allow for your van to be "Out Of service" breakdown, major repairs, or accident etc, plus the need to have sufficient breakdown insurance for recovery to the UK, which can be expensive especially with pets on board.

That's what we have learned over the years of following "Full Timers" they nearly always hit a problem, personal or mechanical, this Covid Pandemic is a great example, you do, and will need a "Plan B", when things goes tits up, family home or friends that will provide a home while the van is repaired or replaced.
If you want further evidence of all the both good & bad, realistic, but true, honest opinions then follow some full UK based timers on You tube as we do.
We have learned from following them its Ok for a period of time to travel the UK & Europe, but after a time they mostly all end up either needing or buying a more permanent base again.
For more advice we will need more detail on so many points, I am sure others will help in that regard also.

LES

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren! (y) Payload will be your main issue with a 4-6 berth ‘van under 3500kg…….o_O

Upvote 0

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Look at the payload & internal layout both are important if you are going to live in it fulltime!
Ours is a 6mtre German van, has nearly 83k on the clock and is 20 years old, originally 350kg but we up-plated it a few years back, it’s a 3 berth with 3 belted seats.
We find it’s about right for us but everybody is different. Go look at as many vans as you can mileage isn’t a great factor on most motorhomes as they have mostly been used just for holidays and the Diesel engines are good for high mileages. The older vans may have a better build quality.
We have found we don’t do huge mileage as we are moving about not going out from a base/home then touring and going back to base/home!

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
That's(y) good advice from Dramfineday above.
Question: do you have a driving license that allows you to drive above 3500KG's known as C1? if not for 4/6 people aboard you will need one asap.
In my opinion based on experience over the years, there are no van available that will be fit for purpose, & legal to drive for 4 people let alone 6 to to reside in on a casual i.e short term basis ( holiday) let alone full time basis under 3500KG's, you will need at least 5000KG's Plus.
You have to consider:
1, Budget to buy the van, then monthly to live sites, food, fuel, fill with water & empty waste legally, so many options but more difficult in the UK
2. Payload allowing for weight of all things like people, their personal stuff, weight of stored water, fuel, spare wheel, tools, bikes....the list is endless, and most of us have to make compromises to stay legal.
3.Layout that suits for full time.......very difficult as its, trial & error, even for the self builders that know more about these things as they live it day to day.
4. Following a lot of full timers as I do, they all have realised, that you will at some point need a base (home) to work from, not just for insurance, health, or mail purposes, but allow for your van to be "Out Of service" breakdown, major repairs, or accident etc, plus the need to have sufficient breakdown insurance for recovery to the UK, which can be expensive especially with pets on board.

That's what we have learned over the years of following "Full Timers" they nearly always hit a problem, personal or mechanical, this Covid Pandemic is a great example, you do, and will need a "Plan B", when things goes tits up, family home or friends that will provide a home while the van is repaired or replaced.
If you want further evidence of all the both good & bad, realistic, but true, honest opinions then follow some full UK based timers on You tube as we do.
We have learned from following them its Ok for a period of time to travel the UK & Europe, but after a time they mostly all end up either needing or buying a more permanent base again.
For more advice we will need more detail on so many points, I am sure others will help in that regard also.

LES
I have a 3.5t ,1.9td 6 belted 5 berth van ( 4 forward inertia belts and 2 rear facing lap belts, with 2 tables, mid galley and end bathroom on a 19’6 chassis, 2001 year,with 100 ltr onboard water, waste, and underslung spare wheel, so I am sorry, but such vans DO exist and are quite practical and we still have a very good payload.
It’s more about how you use the space and what you take with you.
And it did not cost a Kings Ransom.
I thank you.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
  1. Could anyone please recommend the best make and models? (Hoping for a 4 or 6 birth max weight 3.5T)
  2. How many miles a year is around average?
  3. Things to avoid or look out for?
  4. Are changes to interior generally easy to make in most motorhomes?

Really appreciate any help anyone may be able to offer!

Thanks in advance

Jo&Fleur
1. Your choice of make and model will be partly determined by needing 4 belted seats and definitely limited if you need 6 belted seats and weighs less that 3,500kg.
2. Anywhere between 2,000 and 5,000 miles p.a. seems to be the norm although diesel engines that have been looked after can be good for 100,000+ miles.
3. Ensure sufficient payload is available. Check for internal damp. Check vehicle's MOT history on the Gov't website. Be aware of auction site scams.
4. That depends upon what you intend to change, how handy you are and how 'nice' you want it to look afterwards.

There's an excellent 'Motorhome Buyer's Guide' in the Resources section of this website.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Everyone will have there own personal favourite brand of Motorhome, the one to go for is the one with the layout that suits you. Imo I always go for a fixed bed as it’s a pain making one up every night. Also a big garage is a bonus for bikes and stuff,but check the pay load it will take.
btw w2f

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back