lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
you should get a decent van for your budget, some people think a lot of the older vans like Hymer were better built back then.

I know it’s hard to look around just now so do loads of online research and you’ll be ready to start viewing when allowed.

Also advisable to buy a damp meter as that will probably be the biggest issue with an older van, and ask loads of questions on here as they’re a helpful bunch.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hello thanks I'm going to download that guide, I have a 3500kg license, not a C license unfortunately, passed test after the cut off
It's worth getting your C1 with a growing family it will be very difficult to find a van you can run legally at 3500kg.

Payload is always stated on a basic van everything added to it reduces payload. Factory fitted options, dealer & owner fitted accessories all reduce payload. Very unlikely to be able to run a Hymer B class at 3.5t. Our Hymer has a payload of 1350kg and we used over a 1000 kg of it and there is only 2 of us. Nearly 300kg is taken up with options & extras.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Hello, yes we like the idea of bunk beds as we are looking to bring along our niece on some trips and when she is not with us we can lift the bunk up to make more garage space (on some we have seen), IL take a look at RollerTeam, we have seen a few 544 but as you said ruled them out as they didn't have the rear bed, I think my wife would tell me off if we put our 1 year old in a tent, though on the plus note we'd get a good night's sleep for once ha

You say you might bring your niece along on some trips. This opens up another can of worms.

With your niece accompanying you, you'll need 5 belted travel seats. The only lounge layout which will achieve this is, a "4 person dinette". Normally, this consists of 2 forward facing lap/diagonal-belts and 2 rearward facing lap-belts.

The L-shaped lounge (preferred by many) only has 3 belted travel seats (including front passenger and driver). Some L-shaped layouts are adapted by the manufacturer to accommodate 2 belted forward facing travel seats, making a total of 4 overall.

The cheapest option is to use a spacious 5 seater car and buy a caravan (and you won't have to worry about payload) :LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The cheapest option is to use a spacious 5 seater car and buy a caravan (and you won't have to worry about payload)
Caravans have very little payload and most run illegally, caravans get pulled more often for overweight than Motorhomes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You say you might bring your niece along on some trips. This opens up another can of worms.

With your niece accompanying you, you'll need 5 belted travel seats. The only lounge layout which will achieve this is, a "4 person dinette". Normally, this consists of 2 forward facing lap/diagonal-belts and 2 rearward facing lap-belts.

The L-shaped lounge (preferred by many) only has 3 belted travel seats (including front passenger and driver). Some L-shaped layouts are adapted by the manufacturer to accommodate 2 belted forward facing travel seats, making a total of 4 overall.

The cheapest option is to use a spacious 5 seater car and buy a caravan (and you won't have to worry about payload) :LOL:
That would only make 4 people by my calculations, Sara Jane is just one person😉

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Only 4 people max, 2 adults and 2 kids ...
we are Luke, Sara Jane & Sabien (our 1 year old son)

As for your last comment ... wash your mouth out (and fingers) with soap! 😄

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
That would only make 4 people by my calculations, Sara Jane is just one person😉

Haha, i thought Sara was the wife and Jane was the daughter (assumed the OP had missed out the comma between Sara & Jane) :ROFLMAO:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Haha, i thought Sara was the wife and Jane was the daughter (assumed the OP had missed out the comma between Sara & Jane) :ROFLMAO:
Perhaps he's a Mormon with 2 wives ... :oops: 😄

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
:welco:
The Hymer is a much better van, the 504 has a very short wheelbase and can give a choppy ride.
The Corado's are good value a but very basic and use timber in the body construction so nowhere near as good as a Hymer.
Lenny. You keep saying this but I thought we had ascertained that there is no timber in the construction of the carados and sunlights. The construction method is the same as the hymer. All composite as far as I can see apart from the furniture.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Lenny. You keep saying this but I thought we had ascertained that there is no timber in the construction of the carados and sunlights. The construction method is the same as the hymer. All composite as far as I can see apart from the furniture.
Some info on the history of Carado/Sunlight here:

I can't find any mention of the structure though so I'll keep digging.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
This shows some images of the panels:

<Broken link removed>

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I've got one and I havnt found any wood yet, maybe it's well hidden.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Some info on the history of Carado/Sunlight here:

I can't find any mention of the structure though so I'll keep digging.
Hi. If you read it through it says this. Good find BTW

Hymer would make Carado and Dethleffs would make Sunlight. The vehicles would be the same structurally, differing only in furniture, flooring and interior fabrics.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Nowhere do Cardao say they have a timber free construction, the manufacturers that use timber free construction shout about it Hymer certainly do. My Hymer has aluminium inner & outer walls and a GRP floor.

If you can point me to some info I'll stand corrected.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi. If you read it through it says this. Good find BTW

Hymer would make Carado and Dethleffs would make Sunlight. The vehicles would be the same structurally, differing only in furniture, flooring and interior fabrics.
Yes but that's only between the Carado and Sunlights, it doesn't mean they are constructed the same as Hymers and Dethleffs ... I had to read it twice originally to double check.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Found it! It's mentioned in this pdf from Travelworld, page 11, Takt 28:

1613314771718.png

OP
OP
L
Feb 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
SjSabien1!
you should get a decent van for your budget, some people think a lot of the older vans like Hymer were better built back then.

I know it’s hard to look around just now so do loads of online research and you’ll be ready to start viewing when allowed.

Also advisable to buy a damp meter as that will probably be the biggest issue with an older van, and ask loads of questions on here as they’re a helpful bunch.
I see
It's worth getting your C1 with a growing family it will be very difficult to find a van you can run legally at 3500kg.

Payload is always stated on a basic van everything added to it reduces payload. Factory fitted options, dealer & owner fitted accessories all reduce payload. Very unlikely to be able to run a Hymer B class at 3.5t. Our Hymer has a payload of 1350kg and we used over a 1000 kg of it and there is only 2 of us. Nearly 300kg is taken up with options & extras.
Yes good point didn't think much about the payload, the Hymer we like seems to have a payload of 500kg reading into it more, so I guess folding electric bikes solar panels and them type of additions would be out of the question also

OP
OP
L
Feb 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
SjSabien1!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I see

Yes good point didn't think much about the payload, the Hymer we like seems to have a payload of 500kg reading into it more, so I guess folding electric bikes solar panels and them type of additions would be out of the question alsoaround 600kg, I uprated it to3850kg
On a Hymer like most German vans you have to add option packs to get them up to a decent spect I doubt if you can even buy a basic one. With a Hymer you need around 700 kg for two people. Our last Hymer had over 600kg I uprated it to 3850kg we were still on the limit on the rear axle.

OP
OP
L
Feb 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
SjSabien1!
Think
On a Hymer like most German vans you have to add option packs to get them up to a decent spect I doubt if you can even buy a basic one. With a Hymer you need around 700 kg for two people. Our last Hymer had over 600kg I uprated it to 3850kg we were still on the limit on the rear axle.
I see, so I'm starting to understand buying a 3500kg camper is fine but to keep it within their specified payload you are looking at bare bones equipment and basic specs (if they exist) we planned on putting two folding electric bikes in the garage and maybe having a solar panel (not essential though), definitely an awning etc

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Think

I see, so I'm starting to understand buying a 3500kg camper is fine but to keep it within their specified payload you are looking at bare bones equipment and basic specs (if they exist) we planned on putting two folding electric bikes in the garage and maybe having a solar panel (not essential though), definitely an awning etc
Wind out awnings weigh approx 10kg per metre, most people fit a second battery another 28kg, we have 3x 100watt solar panels about 8kg each. Our e-bikes are 24kg each, it soon adds up. Most vans only allow for 20Lt of water in the payload figures, we like to travel with our 160Lt tank full that adds another 140kg.
Payload soon disappears.

If you are not aware the payload is the difference between MIRO (mass in running order) and the MAM (max authorised weight) what we used to call gross weight). The MIRO normally includes a driver at 75kg, 90% fuel, 20lt water and 1x 11kg aluminium gas bottle.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Nowhere do Cardao say they have a timber free construction, the manufacturers that use timber free construction shout about it Hymer certainly do. My Hymer has aluminium inner & outer walls and a GRP floor.

If you can point me to some info I'll stand corrected.
The vehicles would be the same structurally, differing only in furniture, flooring and interior fabrics.

I
think this says it. If you look at the pictures you can see there us no timber. Maybe they just don't brag about it.

I have one. I can see the inner isn't wood and I can see there is no wooden frame either. I'm not saying there isn't any anywhere but if I had to put money on it....

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The vehicles would be the same structurally, differing only in furniture, flooring and interior fabrics.

I
think this says it. If you look at the pictures you can see there us no timber. Maybe they just don't brag about it.

I have one. I can see the inner isn't wood and I can see there is no wooden frame either. I'm not saying there isn't any anywhere but if I had to put money on it....
As Merl says they are referring to Carado & Sunlight I'm certain the walls are the basic construction with timber battens also they don't use PU foam like Hymer do, I've seen it in writing but can't remember where.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
As Merl says they are referring to Carado & Sunlight I'm certain the walls are the basic construction with timber battens also they don't use PU foam like Hymer do, I've seen it in writing but can't remember where.
Did you watch the video? No timber battens to be seen. Agree no mention of PU foam though.

I think there is marketing at work. Hymer (like) Audi/VW/Skoda have to have unique selling points. No point taking sales off Hymer to give to sunlight/ carado. They want carado to take sales from other budget brands.

To be honest I don't worry about it. Carados are not as posh as Hymers just like Skoda's are not as posh as Audis. You get what you pay for. If you want veneers, flush windows, posh blinds, leather upholstery etc you go for a hymer but If you can put up with cheaper fabrics, a bit of chipboard here and there, made in former east germany and sticky out windows..go for Carado.

What that have in common though is that they are all well put together.

And no, Skoda's are not made of wood either.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Can you find what the floor is made of as no mention anywhere I looked when researching for a new van.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Can you find what the floor is made of as no mention anywhere I looked when researching for a new van.
It's GRP composite...guaranteed. same floor as Hymers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back