Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Muriel
I was gutted I couldn't meet you ladies in York due to me being ill, but hoping I can do the February one if its at the beginning of Feb and of course, weather permitting.
Sorry to hear you've been unwell and hope you are better now. I didn't go on to York as I'd arranged to stay with friends on my way home. Sadly, I cannot make the February meet (although not arranged yet) because I'm looking after someone's two dogs for most of February. I'm booked for Eden and Chester so if you are going to these then hopefully we will meet there.

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Sorry to hear you've been unwell and hope you are better now. I didn't go on to York as I'd arranged to stay with friends on my way home. Sadly, I cannot make the February meet (although not arranged yet) because I'm looking after someone's two dogs for most of February. I'm booked for Eden and Chester so if you are going to these then hopefully we will meet there.

Hi Muriel, I'm a bit slow on the uptake of this thread. But then I have been a bit all over the place as I got my first motorhome on Dec 20th. I understand totally how you feel being a single female myself. Even the whole process of choosing it and buying it and now having to look after it all on my own is scary and I am having to learn very fast. I'm glad you went out in it already, in my case it is best to go ahead and do it because if I think too much about it I get in a right flap. The thing is big and I wouldn't trust myself yet reverse parking in a tight spot and gauging the width with parked cars on both sides and one coming from the other side is also tricky. But I just wait then until I feel it is ok, very sorry if you are stuck behind me. Last week I had my first outing staying overnight on a rural carpark (there seem to be various definitions as to what that is, wild camping or freeloading). Having read through as much advice as I could on here, I felt safe.
Maybe one day I will be brave enough for a meet.... But anyway, may meet you along the road anyway one day, I made sure I have one of them smiley stickers on the windscreen!
Have fun, enjoy the freedom and do pass on any useful hints as I definitely need all the help I can get.
Sophie

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@SGNV one of the best things you can do is get yourself along to a meet. You might find meeting up with the girls on here a good starting point. It's a small group and I'm sure they will look after you well.

If your not too sure about driving the motorhome take yourself to a quiet industrial estate and practice your reversing etc. The more you use it the more at ease you will become.
Happy travels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
@SGNV that's really good advice IRNBRU has given you. It was only by going on a meet with the ladies that has given me a more confident outlook on motorhoming. You say you stayed overnight wildcamping, well that's really brave so keep that determination up and make sure you practice driving your van at every opportunity. For My first practice on my own I chose a straight A road with lots of roundabouts which turned out to be good roundabout practise. If you are on the flloras thread, they are about to arrange a mini meet in February and I recommend you join them as I know they will look after you. Keep at it and let it be fun.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@SGNV one of the best things you can do is get yourself along to a meet. You might find meeting up with the girls on here a good starting point. It's a small group and I'm sure they will look after you well.

If your not too sure about driving the motorhome take yourself to a quiet industrial estate and practice your reversing etc. The more you use it the more at ease you will become.
Happy travels.

Sandra has given you amazing advice ... come along to one of our female meet up of friends ... I bet you don't ever look back.

@Cal54

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016

Happy travels.

Thank you. I keep it where I live/work and I am ok getting it in a parking bay (actually properly parked up as not as on the photo! and not quite yet on the first go but hey ho), but I wouldn't quite feel happy yet doing that with a car either side of me to be honest.

Must be honest I haven't even managed to find the calendar yet on this site as to when and where the meets are... The problem in part is that I have to find a new job this year so advance planning is difficult as I want to keep myself free to go for an interview if necessary.

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
@SGNV that's really good advice IRNBRU has given you. It was only by going on a meet with the ladies that has given me a more confident outlook on motorhoming. You say you stayed overnight wildcamping, well that's really brave so keep that determination up and make sure you practice driving your van at every opportunity. For My first practice on my own I chose a straight A road with lots of roundabouts which turned out to be good roundabout practise. If you are on the flloras thread, they are about to arrange a mini meet in February and I recommend you join them as I know they will look after you. Keep at it and let it be fun.

My first practice was driving it home from Derby to Kent, thrown in at the deep end, but mainly motorway although with plenty of traffic jams and then the last bit to here, when I was well tired anyway, was really stressy (narrow roads in the dark). I'm happy driving it but am well aware that I don't have that much experience yet with the size of the vehicle, so prefer to be cautious, maybe overly so.
Haven't come across the flloras thread yet.
As I mentioned to Irnbru re meets, can't find the calendar of where and when and I can't do too much advance planning this year as I am having to look for a new job, at this stage I want to make sure I am available for interviews if necessary.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Must be honest I haven't even managed to find the calendar yet on this site as to when and where the meets are.

Look under events at the top of page. @Cal54 will hopefully add you to the Flora (female) page as these meets so far haven't been listed in events.

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Look under events at the top of page. @Cal54 will hopefully add you to the Flora (female) page as these meets so far haven't been listed in events.

:blusher: Oh dear, now I should really have been able to work that one out for myself. Maybe it's not a good idea for me to be allowed out on my own!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
:blusher: Oh dear, now I should really have been able to work that one out for myself. Maybe it's not a good idea for me to be allowed out on my own!
You have the slightly bigger van to our Hobby and ours has a rear view camera which Rob finds invaluable when I'm not there to "advise!!" It may be worth the expense to make you feel more confident.
We try to avoid driving at night if possible as it can be scarey.
Enjoy your travels!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hi @SGNV Fun are having a meet at Chester don't know if it's a bit far for you, but quite a few solos going could be worth looking at. :)

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
You have the slightly bigger van to our Hobby and ours has a rear view camera which Rob finds invaluable when I'm not there to "advise!!" It may be worth the expense to make you feel more confident.
We try to avoid driving at night if possible as it can be scarey.
Enjoy your travels!

It has a camera, but not too sure how much I can actually see with it... It's more the width that I have found difficult, but then, I've only had 4 weeks. And yes, driving in the dark is something I will avoid as much as I can.

Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Hi @SGNV Fun are having a meet at Chester don't know if it's a bit far for you, but quite a few solos going could be worth looking at. :)

The problem at the moment is more that I don't really feel I can plan things so far ahead as life is a bit up in the air at the moment to be honest. I will have to look at it closer to the date and by then there may not be any places left.

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
vwt4 trident 1995 hightop
Exp
5 years
sHaving recently been widowed, I decided to buy a motorhome but not sure I'm brave enough to go it alone. I'd love to hear the experiences of others about first travelling alone, it may give me the push I need. I'm not considering using my motorhome until spring 2017.
@Muriel hello, muriel, i would like to do a trip with someone for company, i don't know where you live, but we could talk about it maybe.

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
5 years
Have added you sunshine. We are there to support each other when feeling low .. and laugh when things are good.

If you keep posting on this forum you will soon get to grips wigh it and it becomes like an invisible friend ...

....... but don't tell my psychiatrist that. ;)
@movan will do, nice to have some new friends, its been a tough year, ready to meet up wherever, hoping some meets will be do able. psychies are all a bit mad.

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
@Muriel hello, muriel, i would like to do a trip with someone for company, i don't know where you live, but we could talk about it maybe.
Hello pondfairy. The best way to get to know everyone is to go to the rallies. Chester could be a good place for you to meet us all. Have you booked any scheduled rallies?

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
5 years
Come to the Newbury meet in May. Nice easy drive up M5 and M4. Plenty of us there and great entertainment.Roy
@Khizzie thankyou, will think about braving the m4, us lot down here can just about cope with the m5, but ready for change.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@movan will do, nice to have some new friends, its been a tough year, ready to meet up wherever, hoping some meets will be do able. psychies are all a bit mad.

Lol. My psychies likewise .. we will get there in the end though. :) Positive thoughts to you. X

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
5 years
Hello pondfairy. The best way to get to know everyone is to go to the rallies. Chester could be a good place for you to meet us all. Have you booked any scheduled rallies?
@Muriel i havent booked no, just finding my round still, this quote bit is all i can do so far, will learn soon,

OP
OP
Muriel

Muriel

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
@pondfairy I am new to motorhoming too. I've only been camping with it once, but it's surprising how you get used to driving alone. You are not alone once you get on rallies/meets so do try to get on some. Folk on motorhome fun are very friendly and welcoming and I'm sure they won't let us struggle on alone.

If click on forums at the top of this page and select scheduled rallies. You will see a list of rallies. Have a look to see if there is anything you fancy going on and if it's full, do put your name on the reserve list as people do drop out.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
@pondfairy I am new to motorhoming too. I've only been camping with it once, but it's surprising how you get used to driving alone. You are not alone once you get on rallies/meets so do try to get on some. Folk on motorhome fun are very friendly and welcoming and I'm sure they won't let us struggle on alone.

If click on forums at the top of this page and select scheduled rallies. You will see a list of rallies. Have a look to see if there is anything you fancy going on and if it's full, do put your name on the reserve list as people do drop out.

Hi Muriel, I have invited pondfairy to join us in Flora. :)

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
5 years
That's good Joy. Hope to liaise with you on flloras @pondfairy You will soon find your way around the site.
@Muriel thankyou, i am already chuffed meeting all you lovelies on here, have patience, i will learn my way round, cant wait to get travelling with fun company. who else lives down far west, i.e. cornwall, devon, somerset?

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
5 years
@mophead i would love to be warm next winter, bit nrervous driving on the other side, although i lived in andalucia for 3 years working for greyhound rescue, but, i had a partner then, he always drove, didnt like being out of control, so i got nervous about driving, now i am ok, getting there. i don't really like big sites with lots of vans in lines, prefer travelling, stopping a few days and meandering along.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
who else lives down far west, i.e. cornwall, devon, somerset?
Quite a few, as you can see from the Far South-West group that I see you've just joined. I'm at Porthtowan but I don't have a van at the moment.
You can see some people's locations on this map

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
5 years
Quite a few, as you can see from the Far South-West group that I see you've just joined. I'm at Porthtowan but I don't have a van at the moment.
You can see some people's locations on this map
@CWH hey, hello, just drove through porthtowan this evening, i am selling my lwb and looking for smaller van, maybe vw t5 high top. can meet for coffee and chat when ever if you like.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hey! yes we can meet up for a coffee, send me a pm for where & when, I'm available any time for the next week or so :)

pondfairy

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
5 years
Hey! yes we can meet up for a coffee, send me a pm for where & when, I'm available any time for the next week or so :)
@CWH lovely, i have saturday, tuesday, wed. thursday? send me a pic if you can, so i know what you look like, if not no problem. where shall we go, hayle or where ever? fab

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back