New to motorhoming struggling to book sites with our dog (1 Viewer)

Jan 7, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vintage
Exp
Hi

We are new to motor homing and on advice from one of our friend who is also a member on here we are hiring for 10 days in April. Hoping to buy after that. We have a lovely 9 year old Staffordshire bull terrier and we are very responsible owners. We are really struggling to book sites even though he is not a banned breed. Does anyone else have the same issues?. Starting to think this may not be for us after all

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Lots of sites don't allow dogs but plenty do. When booking, I've never been asked which breed of dog. That said I don't do many sites so it might happen.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Hi

We are new to motor homing and on advice from one of our friend who is also a member on here we are hiring for 10 days in April. Hoping to buy after that. We have a lovely 9 year old Staffordshire bull terrier and we are very responsible owners. We are really struggling to book sites even though he is not a banned breed. Does anyone else have the same issues?. Starting to think this may not be for us after all

The ONLY reason we bought our Moho was so we could take our little dog with us around the U.K. & although we've only been to around 20 sites in just over a year, all have accepted dogs.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Aires in france is your answer

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Just did a search on the ACSI website for campsites which are open all year and allow dogs even in high season. Got 154 hits.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi

We have two German Shepherds and genuinely don't have any problem

Just for the record we also own a campsite and welcome dogs, in fact both sets of campsite wardens have dogs

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
Don't despair! We have a lovely Staffie bitch and for us one of the greatest attractions of having a motorhome is that she comes on holiday with us rather than having to go into kennels. The Caravan and Motorhome Club and the Camping and Caravanning Club (we are members of both) allow dogs on their sites, as do most Certificated and commercial sites. Obviously it is sensible to check when making a booking but I can honestly say that in nearly six years we have never had a problem. You will usually be expected to keep your dog on a lead whilst on site but as responsible owners you will want to do that anyway. If you find that you like motor homing when you have your trial then go for it! You will find that having a lovely Staffie adds to the pleasure of your holidays. :)

OP
OP
T
Jan 7, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vintage
Exp
Thank you all for the replies and help. Sadly the sites on the caravan club( we have joined both and pitch up) are saying the same. Maybe it is the area we are looking at Suffolk and Norfolk. Will do some more searching x

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As said in previous posts a huge number of sites take dogs under appropriate control.
You're biggest problem will be, "now which site is best for him" (the pooch)!
Oh, and btw :welcomesign:

OP
OP
T
Jan 7, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vintage
Exp
Just did a search on the ACSI website for campsites which are open all year and allow dogs even in high season. Got 154 hits.
Thanks there are plenty that welcome dogs until you look at the exceptions and Staffordshire bull terriers are the exception x

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thank you all for the replies and help. Sadly the sites on the caravan club( we have joined both and pitch up) are saying the same. Maybe it is the area we are looking at Suffolk and Norfolk. Will do some more searching x
Is it the Caravan and Motorhome Motorhome Club you've joined?
If so, we've just come back a couple of days ago after using three different C&MHC sites in Scotland. As far as I'm aware all C&MHC sites take dogs but somebody may correct me on the exception to the rule.

This is (hopefully) a list of the C&MHC sites in East Anglia and everyone of them shows "dog walk on site or nearby".
https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/ecomm...ia&county=&site=&arrivalDate=&departureDate=&

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
I
Hi

We belong to both clubs, CMC and CCC, and have never been asked about breed and have used many sites. In fact I can't remember seeing a site that doesn't accept dogs.
Christine

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I looked at the title and thought it might be easier to use the phone yourself :D

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Is the OP asking a serious question or is there something we don't know? What they are suggesting as a problem doesn't actually exist within either UK Clubs' rules - so I believe we need to know which, if any, of their sites are causing problems for the OP.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
The ONLY reason we bought our Moho was so we could take our little dog with us around the U.K. & although we've only been to around 20 sites in just over a year, all have accepted dogs.
And us(y) missed the dog soo much and worried about leaving her:(
Wasn't worried about son! He is 8 now, so can look after himself:LOL:

Pitch up.com I found quite good, as you can add dogs and it will filter sites allowing them.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Is the OP asking a serious question or is there something we don't know? What they are suggesting as a problem doesn't actually exist within either UK Clubs' rules - so I believe we need to know which, if any, of their sites are causing problems for the OP.
I think the OP is saying, dogs are ok on the sites, but with exceptions! Staffies being one of them.
I might be wrong:)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

I can only think the OP is checking further into the rules than any others do, maybe they have had issues with the breed before, they do have a reputation

Never noticed a site with specific breed restrictions though myself , I would guess he must have picked badly with his first couple

Best of luck to OP you will definitely find somewhere :)(y)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We are with the CMC and CCC always take our two dogs and have never had a problem booking in.....mind you we tend to use CLs ( certified locations) rather than big commercial sites. We have also seen lots of other dogs from GSD to Yorkies, Jack Russels to Wolf look -a -likes. I don't anticipates having problems in the future, either.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Our dogs always come with us and we've never had a problem finding places.

We don't use campsites though.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Hi terry ,we have three dogs and never had a problem ,we just check that they allow dogs ,dont know where you are trying to book but i see that you are in Lincolnshire , theres a great dog friendly site at Lyndon Top over looking Rutland water ,no hook up available but its great value at £7.00 a night

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back