Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Moved from caravan in 2017
I've just joined the forum and I value the advice that experienced motorhomers may be able to give me. I'm no longer a youngster and find that hooking and unhooking a caravan and other towing problems are getting a bit tiresome. So I'm looking to join the motorhomers' set.....not for the first time though! After years of towing a caravan we tried a 6 metre coach built but firstly it was so agricultural it was like driving a tractor and secondly we missed the availability of a car when on site. Searching as we are I find it difficult to find a motorhome that doesn't have a fixed bed. It must be under 3500Kgs. Preferably about two years old and not a van conversion (too small for our extended winters away). Any ideas folks? Sea Kerr.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF
Good luck with finding a MH that is large enough for extended trips and associated "stuff" and also under 3500kg. Most often on the forum a Hymer is suggested.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
:hiya2: Seekerr, check out some of the small Hymers. They have a very comfy drop down bed, it comes down quite low. We owned a B544 and it was superb, 3.4t a dinette a sofa, a drop down bed and end kitchen, these little vans are popular for good reason (y)

Meanwhile welcome to the fun (y) If you're not sure about any aspect of the forums, check out the Broken Link Removed

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Hi from north east hants border territory

Father in law has a Dethleffs Globebus and I think it is the T7 (island bed) and he goes off for 6 months at a time and has about 800 kg payload and still under 3500.

Not my cup of tea but it suits him very well

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @Seakerr if you still have your caravan book into Peterborough show and have a good look at all the different options, If you pay up and become a full member on here you would still have time to book and camp with FUN, most people would be more than happy to talk about or even show you around their van if it was a model you were interested in.

Martin

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Hi,
Just be very careful with payload weights when buying a 3500KG
We have seen a few dissatisfied new owners who get a surprise when they take their vans over a weighbridge.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome to the world of motorhoming. Many of us will have started from caravans – there wasn’t much else when some of us started.

Payload, actual payload, is what you should be looking at when comparing vehicles. That’s not the same as the “on paper” payload. You may be happy to “travel light” but I’d try to get at least 500kg of actual (real) payload for “occupants and their essentials”. As with caravanning, there will need to be compromises but there are many of us to tell you that it is achievable and can provide great fun.

My first van, rated 3850kg, was so full of accessories that I was almost always unwittingly overweight, just as I had been when I first started caravanning. As soon as I became aware, I passed the problem on to someone else. I’m sure there are many blissfully unaware of their “crime” and others who simply don’t care. If buying second hand, I’d be very interested in their unladen weight, as presented, so would seek confirmation by taking a proposed vehicle to a weighbridge before placing a deposit. With 3.5t it may not be easy but you will enjoy your pastime much more if you know that you’re not breaking the law as you do so.

I hope you have oceans of fun.

Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
Firstly we need to know your budget, then a bucket list of what you fancy (doesn't mean that you'll get it) after that this site is a wealth of knowledge.

I'm not far from you (Ferndown Dorset) and am always happy to have acuppa with a fellow MHomer so if in doubt PM me and we will meet up.

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
Hi.
A couple of years ago we sold our 1996 Hymer B640 Starline which we'd used for nearly ten years for £17k. We only changed because we wanted a) a fixed bed, b) a garage for the scooter, c) more available payload. The Hymer had been used for extensive trips in Europe carrying the scooter - but only just managed to stay within 3500 kg. Without the scooter, there was adequate payload. There are aspects of the old Starline that we miss in our 2009 B660! Things like lounging space, larger windows...

OP
OP
S

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Moved from caravan in 2017
Many thanks to all for the fine welcome and helpful advice. Peterborough show here we come! The fun sections sounds good. How do I get info on that?
seakerr

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back