Free Member
May 25, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Frankia A class
Exp
looking to buy
Hi to everyone my site name is lucas70, Myself and SWMBO have started looking for a motorhome but are finding it difficult to decide on what design will suit us best for us.
I am just 70yrs young and live in East Ayrshire. my hobbies are to many to mention but looking forward to becoming active within the site once we have purchased our motorhome. regards to all Lucas70

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Lucas70

welcome to fun, two things spring to mind first that you need to pay £15 to become a full member and get all your questions answered, and number two is that next year you will have to change your username(y)

Well at 70 years young you have to make the decision as to which side of 3500kg weight limit you go for, stay the low side limits your choice of larger vans, go over that weight and you need to get a medical stifficate thing every two years.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
difficult to decide on what design will suit us best for us.

Good to have a youngster on board. The only way to solve your problem is to grab a camera and sit in as many as you can. Remember the worst time in a MH is when the rain is lashing down and you are stuck inside, maybe for days. That is when you really test your choice.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Hello and Welcome Lucas70. When choosing a van it is all about layout, layout, layout. I'm just down the road from you in Wigtownshire.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Welcome Animated Emoticon.gif

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
:pink: Lucas, originally from East Ayrshire.
It's a great life. If sticking to 3.5t remember to take into account additions, like bikeracks, solar, extra batteries awnings as these are rarely, if ever, included in published weights. So once you find a layout you like find the make with that layout with biggest original payload, then take it over a weighbridge and see what you have to spare. Don't forget rear seatbelts if you intend carrying passengers, the law may say it is ok in older vans but your insurance company will probably not agree. Enjoy your search it is half the fun.

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I found browsing on ebay and making a impulsive purchase at 3am works well

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, Lucas 70, we went to Crown Leisure in Ayr the other week, had some nice vans in , all personally picked by the owner, might be worth a trip to look.
Cheers, Dave(y)

OP
OP
L

lucas70

Free Member
May 25, 2017
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Frankia A class
Exp
looking to buy
Thanks everyone for a warm welcome, in answer to the question we are looking to buy secondhand

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Lucas70, and welcome. You're going to love it! I echo the advice to have a good look around at what is available. Then write a prioritised list of features that you want and look again. You will soon be able to whittle it down. We wanted fixed bed to avoid having to make it up each night. We also wanted easily accessible shower and toilet. We made a really good choice when we bought our first one and still loved it but having had it for around 9 months we realised that we really wanted an island bed, so we did not disturb each other at night if visiting the toilet, a more flexible lounge area to be more comfortable during wet evenings inside, and 4 seat belts so we could attach the dogs and/or take our grandchildren away. We decided to change to a different model, a couple of years newer and we are also very happy with the new one. I think you need to spend a lot of time in he Motorhome to know what is really important to you. As we bought initially secondhand, the money we lost in the change was not excessive so we do not regret changing. We also now have experience of two different makes and types of Motorhome so if our priorities change as we get older we will be able to use that experience

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome lots of advice and help and Jim does a great advice book on buying your first MH . Try as many as possible and sit in them , on the loo and ask for a test drive. We hired one for a week and went to Scotland loved it but realised an over cab bed was not for us! Good luck !:hiya2::WelcomeFlag:

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello and welcome lots of advice and help and Jim does a great advice book on buying your first MH . Try as many as possible and sit in them , on the loo and ask for a test drive. We hired one for a week and went to Scotland loved it but realised an over cab bed was not for us! Good luck !:hiya2::WelcomeFlag:
Hire before buy is a great idea for people new to motor homing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back