New to MH, transfer ring from a caravan (1 Viewer)

stewart kyle

Free Member
Aug 25, 2017
Funster No
Hi, we are moving up from a touring caravan to a new motorhome, we are thinking, are we doing the right thing, have we enough space,, will we enjoy it as much, can we have some whats good and whats bad dialogue?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I would think 70% of motorhomer's had caravans at some point, very few go back to tugging after owning a motorhome .

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
If you like being free to stop whenever and more or less wherever you like with the freedom to stop on Aires and just to make it up as you go along....you'll love a MH

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
w2f...... I moved across from touring vans in 2009 and have never regretted it.

My brother changed to a motorhome for a year, but recently went back to towing.

Over the years my parents have continually swapped between the two, the salesmen must love them walking in to their showroom :D

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi stewart kyle

It really depends on how you want to use the unit, be it a caravan and car or a motorhome.

If you want to park up for a couple of weeks on a campsite and then go for days out you may be best suited with a caravan.

If on the other hand you see yourself doing more touring especially abroad then for sure a motorhome would fit the bill better. One of the big differences is that with a motorhome of course you don't have the car to go places go shopping etc etc, but there again it depends on the size of motorhome you are looking at, do you cycle, could you carry a scooter.

For example we are away this weekend and heading to the big show in Dusseldorf, we can just park up in the huge parking area with about 2000 other motorhomes when we get there, we will have a tank full of water and will be OK for 3 or 4 days that we are there, likewise we will catch our grey waste in another tank and will get rid of this when we move on as sometimes you can be a long way from the facilities at Dusseldorf. When we move off we have not got a plan of where we are going to go but there are loads of Stellplatz that we can just turn up at as the fancy takes us we can then dump the grey waste tank and do the Cassette dump as there are usually facilities at Stellplatz (Germany) and Aires (France).

I we want to go out or go shopping we have mountain bikes and a scooter in the garage so we are OK for transport.

We did caravan for years and at the time it suited us as we would just have two weeks holiday so would head for France find a site and get all set up and then stay there for a week or two, now we have the motorhome we can still do that if we fancy but we have a lot more freedom for touring as we have a lot more option for overnight than we had with the caravan.

Martin

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We caravaned with the children and loved it, but gave it up 25 years ago when my husband developed a bad back. Since then he's had a car crash that put him in the wheelchair, so I now do all yhe work....and it's a doddle in the Motorhome.

Good point re Motorhoming are:-
Packing it you don't have to be as precise as with a caravan re balance.
No need for Aqua rolls and piping
No need to hitch up
Drive to pitch, plug in kettle on. Sorted
When raining there's no need to get out to pee when travelling
Emptying the grey waste is generally pull over the grate and turn the lever.
Water tank is much bigger so no running out mid shower
Much more stable re driving.

Draw backs:
Lack of a car for city visiting .... Matters to us because not all buses are wheelchair accessible. However if you are able bodied there are trains, boats, bikes, scooters, skateboards, horses, etc, etc at your disposal.

We love our Motorhome.

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Not having a car.
We have gone on some rallies and been stuck in the middle of nowhere so always plan if you want to be near coastline or shops / pubs etc.

On the other hand, travelling down thru France & Spain can't beat a MH.

Harly

Free Member
Aug 23, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 201 (2015)
we too have been caravanning for 8 years and are having a go at the motor homing now. Not selling the old van just yet, will hide it under it`s cover down the bottom of the garden just incase !!!
We`ll hold hands together, so to speak.
We picked up our Benimar Mileo 201 on Tuesday, so the excitement of transferring the things from the old caravan to "Benny" the Motorhome is all new.
I`m doing lots of "Googling" at the moment into such things as wing mirror covers, Satnavs, wheel locks, levelling blocks and the like. All quite a mine field. Not sure which ones to get !!
I`m writing this at 3 in the morning, so the excitement is obviously very much on my mind !!
No trips away planned just yet as I`ve got a lot on at the moment however going to fill it up and switch it all on at some point in the week and do a few stationary stays on the drive before we venture out into the scary world out there !!!
:eek:

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
animated WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we too have been caravanning for 8 years and are having a go at the motor homing now. Not selling the old van just yet, will hide it under it`s cover down the bottom of the garden just incase !!!
We`ll hold hands together, so to speak.
We picked up our Benimar Mileo 201 on Tuesday, so the excitement of transferring the things from the old caravan to "Benny" the Motorhome is all new.
I`m doing lots of "Googling" at the moment into such things as wing mirror covers, Satnavs, wheel locks, levelling blocks and the like. All quite a mine field. Not sure which ones to get !!
I`m writing this at 3 in the morning, so the excitement is obviously very much on my mind !!
No trips away planned just yet as I`ve got a lot on at the moment however going to fill it up and switch it all on at some point in the week and do a few stationary stays on the drive before we venture out into the scary world out there !!!
:eek:
get nothing untill you find the need 50%of gadgets wind up at the back of the garage

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
:pink:

Didn't go down the caravan route, so can't comment on difference, main thing will be transport if out in the sticks. some folks use their motorhome like a car, no matter what size. We i itially took bikes, then changed motorhome and motorbike and now carry KTM in the garage when away on our own. We do take our grandchildren away in this country, then I take the motorhome and John takes his car.
Be very careful with packing, you can't hear the stuff in your caravan moving or rattling when you are travelling, but you certainly can in a motorhome.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Welcome to the adventure that motorhoming can provide!

What’s good:

Quicker to pitch or move off.

Faster travel.

The loo is in reach if you’re “caught short”.

Much more self-contained (water, waste, battery all present and ready to go).

Better for touring, especially Europe (aires).

Better insulation and levels of equipment.

You don’t need to mix with caravans.

What’s not so good:

No smaller vehicle for nipping to a restaurant or local shop.

More difficult to level.

Less internal space, especially if a family.

Higher cost of investment.

Always an ‘extra’ you haven’t got.

You hear the rattles if things aren’t stowed correctly.

Caravanners may not speak to you any more.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back