New to me.... Hydro Diesel (1 Viewer)

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I am involved in a project company that are trying to "tag" cleaner diesel so international shipping can start to reduce their horrendously high pollution rates caused by burning the dirtiest heavy fuel oils and comply with long overdue legislation to initially lower sulphur content (step 1).

Hence stumbled across a British firm promoting hydro Diesel, an emulsion if diesel water and additives.

Hydro Diesel

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I served on ships burning heavy oils for many years and the fuel was almost the 'waste' from oil refining. The engines will run perfectly happily on Marine Deisel Oil or Gas Oil but are people willing to pay extra for it?

To burn heavy oil you have to jump through hoops anyway, some of it is heavier than water making purification difficult, at room temperature it's semi-solid, not good to work with. Ask yourself, if ships or power stations don't burn it what exactly are they going to do with it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jev88
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
I served on ships burning heavy oils for many years and the fuel was almost the 'waste' from oil refining. The engines will run perfectly happily on Marine Deisel Oil or Gas Oil but are people willing to pay extra for it?

To burn heavy oil you have to jump through hoops anyway, some of it is heavier than water making purification difficult, at room temperature it's semi-solid, not good to work with. Ask yourself, if ships or power stations don't burn it what exactly are they going to do with it?
Refine it. Remove sulphur. This is as of Jan 2020. This is the problem my customer is aiming to monitor as ports are starting to ask and test for fuel compliance.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Even if the sulphur is removed, what are you going to do with it? Remember, heavy oil is the left overs after refining, no further refining is possible. Removing the sulphur would be great, would have liked that 40 years ago, but what about the vanadium, molybdenum, chromium etc., all the nasty stuff that ends up at the bottom of the cracking tower.

The simple solution for ships is to burn diesel, more expensive of course but what does the customer want. Our local ferries have changed to diesel instead of the heavy they burned when I was with them.

It is a problem but not a new one, engineers have been working on this for a long, long time.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Inject bicarb of soda into the smoke stack.....

Or something like that. My son is in R&D of a company that sell and install systems to clean the emissions of big ships. Has something to do with bicarb and exhaust but there the technicalities, and interest, left me... Broken Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back