New to me and bike (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Was walking past a second hand shop I spotted the a push bike out side.
Went in asked how much
Wats it worth its knackered
I don't know it's value
Fiver.
I will give you twenty for it.
It's for a good charity
It's fairly high speck disk brakes half the Wight of my bike
It needs a new chan a tyre and the seat has a rip in it
The gears move freely and smooth the brakes are throw you over the handal bars keen
The frame is in very good condition
Both my shelf and the weman love cycleing.
I have Ben going down with the him in the morning it's abut 1.5 miles
Them I come back up the road with him most nights I can
We arelooking to go off road biking soon to have a bit of fun
Bill

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Bill, you can't imagine how much I envy you being able to do stuff (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Chang a seat Chang a tyre put a new chane on
Nothing hard there?
There is if you don't know how to do it! - what to unscrew, what to buy, what prep & maintenance etc
Plus, you seem to be able to turn your hand to just about anything you set your mind to. You're a very PRACTICAL person, you have skills you can use in all sorts of situations.
AND you've brought the Wee Man up to be a really lovely human being!
Don't try to get out of it - you're a very clever man.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Especially with aluminium frame GT triple triangle frame just fixed the the chane pumped up the tyre it's a lovely light bike
Back in the day Bill, they were the bees knees, quick handling and responsive. You will get loads of fun out of that.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Some early gt,s are collectable my freind has a mint condition Zaskar with pace forks very nice
don't know if
This has pace forks don't know what modal it is will have a look at it properly when I strip it down and service it it certainly is worth a bit of time spent on it
I will put a blow by blow acount on the rebuild on hear
Bill

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
So the best tyre to get for it would be to be @Armytwowheels? Or will any bog standard tyre do
Bill
NO, a bog standard tyre will not do Bill. The next most important thing to a good frame (which you now have) and straight wheels, is the tyres.

What have you got on the front?

Like motorhome tyres, cycle tyres can look good but be too old to have any suppleness or give in them. Check the side walls like you would for your van, if they are cracking then you need new ones. As to which type, that depends on what type of cycling you are going to do - road or off-road, rocks, mud, trails or anywhere your can fit your handlebars through!!

Would also be worth checking the rim tape and the state of the inner tubes. Everything else you can fettle and tease back into life, but the rubber stuff has a limited life.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
NO, a bog standard tyre will not do Bill. The next most important thing to a good frame (which you now have) and straight wheels, is the tyres.

What have you got on the front?

Like motorhome tyres, cycle tyres can look good but be too old to have any suppleness or give in them. Check the side walls like you would for your van, if they are cracking then you need new ones. As to which type, that depends on what type of cycling you are going to do - road or off-road, rocks, mud, trails or anywhere your can fit your handlebars through!!

Would also be worth checking the rim tape and the state of the inner tubes. Everything else you can fettle and tease back into life, but the rubber stuff has a limited life.
Two new tyres and tubes rim tape ordered and on the way Michelin s semi rigid mud and what ever thay clame good reviews and and right ups from sum pro bikers £53 each
O and a new chane and chane link tool bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Give us a few before and after photos Bill.
I broke my phone this morning well jay actually broke my phone it had fallen on the floor he jumped off top bunk broken screen :cry:
but think i can take pictures with his Ipad
Thers a slight woobil on the back wheel i will get a spoke key and sort that out used to straiten my wheels when i was a kid it bringing memories flooding back of me and my old man building bikes from nothing
my kids all got new dont thing thay appreciated ware the money cam from thay know now with kids of ther own
funny thing is wee piked up another bike on the way home out of a skip jay want to do it up.
her in doors is not happy us taking over the kitchen to work on them as the garage is full of tyers for the
bushiness.
all jays Ned's is a gear Chang twist grip a tyre and a good clean up and maybe a new chane
and a bit of TLC
we were going to get him a bike for Christmas but he did not want one was happy with his BMX
rambling a bit yes i will post sum picks
bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
well theirs a jeme of a place to start us off the Humber bridge park thing we were their today loods o bikers their and getting muddy to its good for beginners
so guse where were going when the bikes are fixed :D

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Before you change the chain @Wildbill, see what you can do to restore it. If you change the chain, you may need to change the gear cogset as they will have worn together and a new chain may not work well on the old cogs.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Before you change the chain @Wildbill, see what you can do to restore it. If you change the chain, you may need to change the gear cogset as they will have worn together and a new chain may not work well on the old cogs.
i had a look today it not in bad conditions the cogs are like new after a good clean up chane sorted bit just cleaned it up with sum cerosen and soaked it in hot oil
back on the bike now with temporary tyer till the new ones come
job done
bill
(y)

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Had a ride out on to today when i got it all back together the gears nead fine toning but apart from that its working lovely straitend the wheel no woobile now.
working on the wee-mans tonight sorting out all the wee bits then away to get muddy at the weekend unless the weather gets to bad
bill

chasper

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Ilfracombe, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SLS
Exp
I have used Bosch Redroth tubing and corner connectors to make up a spare wheel carrier to fit in the garage of my Adria. I liberated it from the company before i retired! They bought from RS Components. It can be easily cut using a normal hacksaw and deburred with a file.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Well the wee mans bike nead a bit more work than expected but the basisks are ther.
good frame good wheals brakes ar good now the gears are knacker but a got new deraler and gear changer.
Its crome just nead a bit of cleaning
Some new tyers and good to go we ask him if he wanted a new bike why this one will work wont it,
No nead to send money on another one it better than a new one wee built it bless him
bill

Reactions: CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
we ask him if he wanted a new bike why this one will work wont it,
No nead to send money on another one it better than a new one wee built it bless him
What a fantastic outlook on life the Wee Man has :smiley:

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Well the new try res arrived not what i orders when i opens the paking documents ther was a hand writen note sorry out of stock of the tyres ordered.
Refund of difrance by paypal that was it no e male no other communication.
:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back