Dec 5, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi there

Our family includes myself, my husband, our 10 yo son and 2 medium sized dogs and we
are at the start of planning a 9 - 10 month adventure starting next summer.

We are new to Motorhoming but have talked about owning one for a long time. We are experienced campers. On our first visit to view we found that the ones we like and in which we will best fit in terms of living space are huge and seem more than a little daunting to drive (although it is exciting too)!

We are looking for a 6-7 berth coach built with fixed bed at the rear for us and the overcab bed for our son. We are also looking at getting a LHD as we will be buying specifically to use in Europe. We are both old enough to drive something of this size on our licences.

My husband has experience of driving large panel vans and currently drives a standard transit as his main vehicle. I have briefly driven a lwb transit (for a tip run) and standard transit (with windows) but that's it.

My questions for now (although I am sure more will follow) are:-

How did you first feel about driving a motorhome and did you find it easier/harder than you thought?
If you are part of a couple, how much do you share the driving?
Can you get sat nav's for large vehicles which would avoid tiny, narrow roads?
I can't find any website route planners which seem to offer this - do they exist?

Any thoughts and advice would be welcome :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Driving is just a matter of practice.

Rely on a satnav for narrow roads and it will get you stuck sooner or later. Rely on your eyes and at the first hint of "I'm not happy" turn around before "I'm stuck".

Remember even a theoretically perfect satnav does not know about a parked truck, an overhanging tree. Use your brain.

Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
:hiya2:. &:welcomesign:from Devon.

Have been use to driving bigger vehicles since way back the old LWB tranny's were a favourite for conversions for me personally.
It sounds like you want bigger than that though.
Have a look on the website mobile.de (Germany,) in case you didn't know.it may give you an idea of what is out there and whether you may want
A class (integrated) or coachbuilt.((Alcove) or lowline. ( Semi integrated)
Also route planning you could try

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk

You may also find that becoming a full member £15 ,a bargain for the combined wealth of knowledge on the forum .
You will then be able to ask many more Q's other than you first free ones .:xgrin:
Have a good Xmas

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Despite the size they're generally easier & more relaxing to drive than a car. Even parking and confined spaces are easier than most cars. Depending on type most of a motorhome (everything except, possibly, the front) is a big, very square, box with excellent large mirrors and a high driving position - all the exact opposite of a car. It can be difficult to judge the exact position of the rear when reversing up to something (but that's what passengers or reversing cameras are for) and if your chosen vehicle has a large overhang (a lot of body behind the rear wheels) then tight turns require care. But mirrors work for that. All in all I prefer driving the MH to driving a car.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
There are certainly Sat Navs designed for larger vehicles, although even the best are not perfect.
Driving a motorhome is the same as driving a car but with better mirrors although at first you may feel a bit higher off the ground.
As someone else said, practice and the van should be easy for anyone to drive. If the mirrors go through, then providing you do not make a turn, the van will go through. Length is not a problem but you do need to use your mirrors.
Generally I drive, because I enjoy it but my wife just drove home from Spain when I was unwell.
Buy, steal or search for the books about 'Aires' or get 'Camperstop' book. Unlike camping, motorhomers are able to use 'Aires' all over Europe and many of them are free.
As for being provided with routes.... for me at least, half the fun is arriving at an unexpected Aire without planning. There really are enough of them about once you leave the UK. In the UK we have used 'Brit Stops' which tend to be places to eat and drink with free parking if you do so.
Good luck!

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
How did you first feel about driving a motorhome and did you find it easier/harder than you thought?

I'd driven a large minibus as my main vehicle for some years and the 27ft monster was easier to drive. Remember you have "right of size" :)

The 7m new motorhome is easier than our last 6m motorhome. I prefer to drive a larger vehicle and feel I am a better driver in a big truck than in a micro-car..... I think I am more confident and positive in a truck, sort of take charge of the situation. Not aggressive but maybe assertive if that makes sense???? I always smile when I drive the motorhome and I think that helps as well...... would you get in the way of a woman grinning like a maniac whilst driving a truck ?? :xrofl::xrofl::xrofl::xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:

If you are part of a couple, how much do you share the driving?

We used to (and will do again if/ when my driving licence is renewed). Even now I do the "tricky bits" such as putting her on ramps or into tight spaces as I have a lighter foot and more spacial awareness.

I tend to do the navigation as I am better at it than he is so he tends to get the miles behind us on motorways and the like (I dislike driving long distances on motorways, sooooooo boring).

Can you get sat nav's for large vehicles which would avoid tiny, narrow roads?

You can but a satnav is an aid. Do not follow it without being aware it is only as good as the programmer who wrote the software ..... and he is not in the cab with you.

If the bin lorry / tesco delivery van / removal wagon / bus can get down thee then you "probably" can but if you feel the least bit uncomfortable about taking the route then find an alternative. This is supposed to be fun and relaxing and there are some adventures I would happily forego. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jaycee3

Jaycee3

Free Member
Dec 5, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you for your replies. It is good to read others experiences. I had wondered about the caravan club course so it is nice to read someone had done it and found it helpful.

Points made about sat nav's duly noted. I have been caught out a few times with road closures and new routes (especially since mine is a couple of years out of date now). We thought we would plan a rough route/timetable and use a mixture of aires and camp sites on our trip. I will look out for one of the books and have a look at the website suggested.

We are doing some research and need to work out a budget. Once that is done, I need to see if I can take a year off work ... no guarantees but others in the department have so fingers crossed!

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
We are doing some research and need to work out a budget. Once that is done, I need to see if I can take a year off work ... no guarantees but others in the department have so fingers crossed!
My son and daughter-in-law traveled the world the year after they married. She was given a year off subject to her working for a week or two in different hospitals (pre-arranged - they are both medics) as they went. He had his leave refused so he resigned.

When they got back she went back to her old job but with far more experience of other ways of doing things, he walked into a better and better-paid job and has since been head-hunted by his previous employer as they have never been able to fill his role!!!!

Looking back I wish we had done the same when we were younger, we turned down the opportunity of crewing a yacht around the world, timing was wrong ..... but I do wish we had just sold up and gone the year afterwards. A leap of faith, perhaps, but if I knew then what I know now and all that. At least we can travel quite a lot now (took early retirement) and we do have funds available.

You will need to think about schooling for your son, I'm sure he will gain so much from the experience - possibly more than h would at school - but if you need extra tuition ask on campsites, it is surprising how many retired teachers are around and who would be willing to tutor for a few hours a week :)

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi there

Our family includes myself, my husband, our 10 yo son and 2 medium sized dogs and we
are at the start of planning a 9 - 10 month adventure starting next summer.

We are new to Motorhoming but have talked about owning one for a long time. We are experienced campers. On our first visit to view we found that the ones we like and in which we will best fit in terms of living space are huge and seem more than a little daunting to drive (although it is exciting too)!

We are looking for a 6-7 berth coach built with fixed bed at the rear for us and the overcab bed for our son. We are also looking at getting a LHD as we will be buying specifically to use in Europe. We are both old enough to drive something of this size on our licences.
My questions for now (although I am sure more will follow) are:-

Any thoughts and advice would be welcome :)
Why do you need a 6/7 berth van when there are only three of you?

This sort of van would suit you and is available for a test drive just to show you what they are like to drive

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/rapido-999m-1.html
Peter

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Why do you need a 6/7 berth van when there are only three of you?

This sort of van would suit you and is available for a test drive just to show you what they are like to drive

Peter

Two dogs as well Peter ..... I think bigger might be better in this case as it is a long trip and they will need comfortable lounge space.

Our van is similar to the Rapido you linked to (ours is a transverse bed with full width garage) and is very comfortable for two for lounging, okay for three as long if only two want to put their feet up, friendly for four and cramped for five even though it is technically a six berth.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
When considering budgets, we have now discovered that except for the very few campsites we stayed at during a three month tour this year, we were saving €30 to €40 a night using Aires. These make a significant saving over longer stays out of the UK.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jaycee3

Jaycee3

Free Member
Dec 5, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks again :xsmile:

We don't so much need 6-7 berth as much as the living space that comes with it. I thought with sleeping 2 over the cab and 2 on the fixed bed there would almost always be a dinette / sofa to convert. Will widen the search keeping a look out for large 4-5 berth. We will look at some A Class when next viewing but I think we will prefer the coach built as the plan was for my son to have the bed over the cab as his own space where he may want to chill when we are parked up while we sit in the lounge. Not possible with a drop down bed at least not the pics I have seen on Auto Trader.

Also in terms of layout, I like the dinette (which must be big enough for us to fit round) with sofa opposite arrangement. Or if just one or two forward facing seats the swivel seats in the cab. However I did notice that some of the swivel seats are impossible to use for dining as you cant get your legs under the table! Should probably also mention that our budget is 20-25k for the MH.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
Hi. Welcome to the Forum

Were only a month new to this with our first motorhome. Its a Swift 696 2015 model. Over cab bed and rear bunks.

If you want to come have a drive to see what you think your very welcome. Can also have a play about with the gadgets and gismos to give you more food for thought.

FYI We are in Sheffield.

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
Despite the size they're generally easier & more relaxing to drive than a car. Even parking and confined spaces are easier than most cars. Depending on type most of a motorhome (everything except, possibly, the front) is a big, very square, box with excellent large mirrors and a high driving position - all the exact opposite of a car. It can be difficult to judge the exact position of the rear when reversing up to something (but that's what passengers or reversing cameras are for) and if your chosen vehicle has a large overhang (a lot of body behind the rear wheels) then tight turns require care. But mirrors work for that. All in all I prefer driving the MH to driving a car.

Just the kind of soothing words I need to hear at the moment, little voice nagging me even though reason tries to tell me I've been fine in the past with a minibus and tractor and trailer, I'll be fine too with a big transit... 8 more sleeps...

Upvote 0
Nov 11, 2016
uk, no fixed abode
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
since 2016
I'd driven a large minibus as my main vehicle for some years and the 27ft monster was easier to drive. Remember you have "right of size" :)

The 7m new motorhome is easier than our last 6m motorhome. I prefer to drive a larger vehicle and feel I am a better driver in a big truck than in a micro-car..... I think I am more confident and positive in a truck, sort of take charge of the situation. Not aggressive but maybe assertive if that makes sense???? I always smile when I drive the motorhome and I think that helps as well...... would you get in the way of a woman grinning like a maniac whilst driving a truck ?? :xrofl::xrofl::xrofl::xrofl::xrofl::xrofl:

Thank you!! Think I may take your advice on the grinning. And thanks for reminding me that in the past I have always felt much happier driving something bigger. Need all the encouragement I can get at the moment. So wish it was next Tuesday already, get it over and done with.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
One of the best things we ever bought were a pair of walkie-talkies. The driver's handset is on the dash and "receives", the other is spoken into by the fat controller who can see exactly positioning when reversing, can see oncoming cars at corners and can direct the driver as required. They are very useful at my parents place as we park on their drive, near a blind corner, it's a dead end and is narrow with parked cars so the walkie-talkie is great. I also wear a hi-vis jacket and it is amazing how people are much more courteous to a person in hi-vis with a walkie-talkie!!!!!

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
As mentioned above, reversing is different to a car but in some ways easier. Yes you can benefit from having someone 'see' you back but with superior van mirrors and a reversing camera that you have learnt to trust, I actually prefer reversing my van to my car. This is partly because I can see more in the camera than by twisting around in a car.

Upvote 0

Noely

Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Bucks
Funster No
MH
A Class Itineo
Exp
Since 2016
I mainly do the driving, but it's because the Mrs is a better navigator than me!! She has driven it in U.K. And France without any trouble. With regards to manovering/ parking help, we use walkitalkies to give directions to the driver. Works fine for us. Best of luck with your trip

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I should first point out, I am the only member of our family who holds the correct licence to drive large vehicles so driving is my sole domain :)
My first experience of driving a motorhome was when we rented a Swift Voyager 696EL, prior to that I had driven many big lutons and 7.5 tonners, I even drove a few 19T rigids, in my youth I thought I would be an HGV driver, that never happened, and my C licence has well and truly gone now.
When I first took the wheel of the MH, it handles, and drives just like a luton van, except it is much heavier, and you get that feel through the controls. Other than that, dimensions, mirrors etc. are all the same. If you've ever driven a heavily loaded luton, it will be largely similar in handling characteristics.
You soon settle in to the fact that you aren't going to get anywhere quickly, but the driving is much more relaxed. Be aware that at 6/7 berth you will certainly fall into the lower NSL range of 50mph on single carriageways, 60mph on dual carriageways and motorways you can do the full 70mph. You will see us referring to this as 50/60/70, when we refer to speed limits, whereas it would be 50/50/60 for an HGV, and many other combinations, but I digress.
Have you considered renting a large motorhome to get a feel for it, prior to buying?

Upvote 0

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
<snip>
My husband has experience of driving large panel vans and currently drives a standard transit as his main vehicle. <snip>

If it's a Mk.7, I hope that the Tibbe lock has been changed to something more secure and that the OBD port is protected.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Unlike driving a 7.5 tonne truck or a transit from a hire company you are likely to care a lot more about your motorhome. You need to take care of overhanging branches which can make a mess of you paintwork, decals and windows. Wing mirrors on coachbuilt motorhomes stick out a long way and are lower than those on A-class motorhomes so take extra care at toll booths and suchlike

Otherwise it's a walk in the park (as long as you have someone willing to jump out when you end up in a narrow street ((which you will)).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back