New to Autotrail Tracker hot water query (2 Viewers)

Dubport

Free Member
Nov 13, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
10 years
This is our heating and hot water system?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi Guys we have just bought a 2014 Autotrail Tracker FB and we were away in it for the first time this weekend, after filling the sink bowl to do washing up I went into the bathroom to run hot water to wash and found the water Luke warm then ran cold? Is this normal? Is there a water tank or is the water just heated on command?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I think you need to read the instruction book.
If you only have it set on the lowest electric setting, this won't be enough power in the cold weather.
You may have to move the dial on the right, down do its on electric and gas.
I think the orange light on the left dial goes off when the water has reached temperature.
If it's a red light on the left dial there's a problem.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You appear to have gas heating on 5 and water heating on max. You should have had enough HW for at least one luxury shower. You don't say how long it was on before you tried to use it. To obtain a full amount of HW from cold requires 45 - 60 minutes. The numbered dial only sets the room heating temperature. HW is either 40 degrees (waste of time) or 60 degrees.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I thought the heating took priority over the hot water? If that's right, and the heating doesn't get to temperature, the water won't :-(

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I had a tracker FB with the same heating system and always got confused with it. I don't think it is very user friendly at all.

But as I see it the right hand dial is where you select what energy source you want.

The combo boiler can be run on either gas or 240v or both together and at a low or high setting. (Low setting for when you are on a site which may have only 5amp EHU supply.)

From the lower part of the dial. It is full 240v power plus gas - which means the boiler will run at full power,
lower 240v power plus gas, Gas only, Lower 240v EHU only and and full 240v EHU (i.e.: at least a 10a supply)

The lefthand dial is what you want your power to do.
from the lower part of the dial is full 60c hot water and heating, next is 40c hot water and heating, OFF, low heating only and full heating.

You would run it with heating only when there is a chance of the water supply freezing.

The boiler has different power settings low 240v is around 900w, high 240v around 1800w, gas is around max 6000w, low 240v plus gas is around 5000w and high 240v plus gas is the full 6000w.

The 1 to 5 dial is the thermostat for the temperature of the internal of the van.

There are quite a few lights that come on and inform you what it is up to.

You have it set to Low 240v i.e.: 900w max. with the water set at 60c with the heating set at max (5).

Not sure how warm it is where you are but you probably need to put more energy into the heating system. i.e.: if 10a plus supply turn the RH dial to the top (1800w). Or if not put the gas and/or 240v electric on (5000w plus).

I found it all very confusing and always needed the Truma book to understand exactly what I wanted and what I had to do to make it happen.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
You are asking for very hot water and heating at the same time, which is a reasonable thing to be doing at this time of year. You may find 40°C water hot enough for most purposes (LH dial) but let’s leave that aside for now. The RH dial is the energy source. In the position it’s in, you are trying to do all that with just a ‘one bar’ electric source and that’s not going to happen. You can heat water only from electricity but you need to use gas when you want space heating.

Use the ‘two bar’ setting when you have EHU, if you can. This uses about 8A (OK on most UK sites but too much on some European ones).

To get the water hot quickly, stick the LH dial to 60° until the water is hot (using gas) before moving it round for space heating as well (flame).

You will get at least three times as much heat from gas as you can from electric, so always use gas in the cold or if you’re in a hurry. EHU on its own will only supply background heating. It’s there to supplement the use of gas, not replace it.

Upvote 0
Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We had an Autotrail Savannah and EVERY TIME I wanted to do something with the heating or hot water I had to get the manual out. It has to be the most user unfriendly control panel I have ever seen! Well done @MikeD and @rogher for a good explanation.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Your Truma boiler has a tank capacity of ten litres so if you filled the sink in the kitchen with say 5 litres of hot water that means that 5 litres of cold will go into the hot tank from your cold supply to fill it up again, so your tank needs to reheat the water again.
That's probably why your bathroom tap was running cold.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
The two controls are.... on the right 240v electricity, which can be supported by gas where the flame symbol shows. The most effective control is on the left for controlling Gas and room temperature.
60 and 40 are for water temperature (showers etc) and the lower symbols are for van heating. This heating unit is very sophisticated and nothing will happen in a hurry, especially the van heating but once it gets going it should really throw out sufficient heat. Turning it off is the same, as long as the unit is hot, it will continue to blow then switch itself off.
It is also one of the least user friendly designs I have come across.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back