New Thread Parking for 8m+ motorhomes National Trust sites (1 Viewer)

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have been collating this map for quite a while now. There are 140 entries with green pins indicating sites where larger vehicles will find it reasonably easy to park providing its not busy. Red pins are a no and Yellow pins maybe a challenge. There are a couple other threads but they have become a bit long and unwieldy so decided to start a new one.

Perhaps Jim you could close off new posts to the other two long running threads?

The link to the map is here and it works just as well on a phone as a computer.

Each pin allows you to view the details, find directions etc and has funsters comments where given.

I am keen to add as many more pins to the map as possible - especially those where it is nigh on impossible to get in with a larger vehicle having nearly burnt out a clutch trying to get out of one after finding myself on a narrow uphill one way system with nowhere to turn around. So, please suggest more that are good and the not so good. It would help if you could check whether they are already on the map by looking at the list.

Very short of pins in Scotland and Wales!

Screenshot of existing map to give you an idea ...

Screenshot 2021-10-01 at 19.06.40.png

Please give it a whirl and thanks in advance for your contributions

C

Apr 4, 2021
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum GT 185
Exp
August 2020
I have been collating this map for quite a while now. There are 140 entries with green pins indicating sites where larger vehicles will find it reasonably easy to park providing its not busy. Red pins are a no and Yellow pins maybe a challenge. There are a couple other threads but they have become a bit long and unwieldy so decided to start a new one.

Perhaps Jim you could close off new posts to the other two long running threads?

Each pin allows you to view the details, find directions etc and has funsters comments where given.

I am keen to add as many more pins to the map as possible - especially those where it is nigh on impossible to get in with a larger vehicle having nearly burnt out a clutch trying to get out of one after finding myself on a narrow uphill one way system with nowhere to turn around. So, please suggest more that are good and the not so good. It would help if you could check whether they are already on the map by looking at the list.

View attachment 543422

C

Apr 4, 2021
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum GT 185
Exp
August 2020
Three more National Trust locations that can be added to your map, where we had no problem parking for the day are: Llanhydrock, Trelissick and Glendurgan. All are in Cornwall.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 4, 2021
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum GT 185
Exp
August 2020

View attachment 543422

C
Three more that you can add which are suitable for Motorhomes are Glendurgan, Llanhydrock and Trelissick in Cornwall. Our Motorhome is nearly eight metres long and we had no problems parking there.

Apr 4, 2021
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum GT 185
Exp
August 2020
Three more that you can add which are suitable for Motorhomes are Glendurgan, Llanhydrock and Trelissick in Cornwall. Our Motorhome is nearly eight metres long and we had no problems parking there.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
You could add Avebury Manor, Avebury, Wilts. -

Also, Lacock Abbey, Wilts.

We have 7.5 metre and parked at those last this week - easy access for at least 8 metres.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Culloden Moor NT Visitor Centre near Inverness. Went last September, easy access.
Glenfinnan NT Visitor Centre near Fort William. Okay if you get there early before the crowds arrive to see the Jakobite steam train en route to Mallaig. Motorhomes tend to go in the first area to the immediate left of the entrance but room elsewhere if you can get in.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan

Derek’soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
Overbecks in salcombe is a no go for anything but a transit, you can park-ish about a mile away (maybe a bit more) but the hills can be, well let’s say, challenging, but worth it for the view.
South Milton sands - is just a beach parking from recollection should be good on anything but bank holidays but the road to get there, will allow you to see the greenery on both side very closely, probably the most expensive fish n chips I’ve ever bought from a shed byt nice

Oct 27, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
Since 2015
We've visited Glamis Castle and Blair Castle in our 7.2m Frankia. Access is very easy and an 8m motorhome should have no problems. We also visited Caerlaverock Castle and stayed overnight in the Caerlaverock Castle Corner campsite; no facilities other than water and rubbish disposal, just leave a donation. We'd rate both Glamis and Blair as green and Caerlaverock as an orange.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
You could add Avebury Manor, Avebury, Wilts. -

Also, Lacock Abbey, Wilts.

We have 7.5 metre and parked at those last this week - easy access for at least 8 metres.
These were already on the map - but thanks for advising still OK

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Culloden Moor NT Visitor Centre near Inverness. Went last September, easy access.
Glenfinnan NT Visitor Centre near Fort William. Okay if you get there early before the crowds arrive to see the Jakobite steam train en route to Mallaig. Motorhomes tend to go in the first area to the immediate left of the entrance but room elsewhere if you can get in.
Thanks - these have now been added the map

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Dolaucothi NT Goldmines has a good car park opposite the gold mine entrance. Near Pumsaint. Lovely walks through the woods and along the river as well. Probably only a yellow pin for this one.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Overbecks in salcombe is a no go for anything but a transit, you can park-ish about a mile away (maybe a bit more) but the hills can be, well let’s say, challenging, but worth it for the view.
South Milton sands - is just a beach parking from recollection should be good on anything but bank holidays but the road to get there, will allow you to see the greenery on both side very closely, probably the most expensive fish n chips I’ve ever bought from a shed byt nice
Added to the map - particularly grateful for any Red "no Go's' like Overbooks - I have added South Milton Sands as a yellow due to your comment about a close look at the greenery :LOL::smiley:

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We've visited Glamis Castle and Blair Castle in our 7.2m Frankia. Access is very easy and an 8m motorhome should have no problems. We also visited Caerlaverock Castle and stayed overnight in the Caerlaverock Castle Corner campsite; no facilities other than water and rubbish disposal, just leave a donation. We'd rate both Glamis and Blair as green and Caerlaverock as an orange.
Thanks - these are now all on the map - we now have 152 markers on the map which is great

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Dolaucothi NT Goldmines has a good car park opposite the gold mine entrance. Near Pumsaint. Lovely walks through the woods and along the river as well. Probably only a yellow pin for this one.
Added the map thank you - that makes 153 - safe travelling everyone and let me have more - especially the NO GO ones where we don't want to get stuck in a narrow place!

Derek’soldvan

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 19, 2021
Plymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Ageing Hobby 650
Added the map thank you - that makes 153 - safe travelling everyone and let me have more - especially the NO GO ones where we don't want to get stuck in a narrow place!
So back to south Milton sands, it’s a windy road, very narrow, with passing places, decent car park but if your in a bigger van go slow & hope to meets something coming the other way at a passing place or hope they can reverse otherwise, make a coffee & sit back in drivers seat, they will reverse eventually

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
So back to south Milton sands, it’s a windy road, very narrow, with passing places, decent car park but if your in a bigger van go slow & hope to meets something coming the other way at a passing place or hope they can reverse otherwise, make a coffee & sit back in drivers seat, they will reverse eventually

I had a big lorry driver take that approach when we met in a narrow stonewalled peak district road. He just sat there and let me do all the work. He wasn't stupid. Had we touched it would be my fault!

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We are going to Kedlston Hall near Derby on Friday. There website advisees an alternative route for motorhomes. It dosnt stipulate sizes but from what I can see there shouldn’t be a problem getting larger motorhomes in.

OP
OP
ceejayt

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We are going to Kedlston Hall near Derby on Friday. There website advisees an alternative route for motorhomes. It dosnt stipulate sizes but from what I can see there shouldn’t be a problem getting larger motorhomes in.
Thanks. Let me know

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back