Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
I've just had a beautiful new tarmac drive laid. It's been a bit hot lately... and have discovered that my Autotrail Tracker has left 2" deep holes for each wheel where it has been parked. I hope it will sort itself out again over time but any thoughts on what I might use to spread the load? Two 12 foot long builders planks might do I suppose but wouldn't look too good. Could paint them perhaps? Ideas?
Many thanks, Jerry

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
How about contacting the people who layed the drive and asking them to put it right, or explain why it sank, or explain why they didn't tell you to keep your van off it for a while.

OP
OP
Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
I think 3 and a half tons is bound to do this. It is hot and it's been laid about 3 weeks now. I need something to spread the load.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I'm with Iandsm on this one, first think I'd do is contact who ever laid it. I'm sure if you parked on the road on a hot day it wouldn't sink.

If no joy from them I'd go with your idea maybe a couple of scaffold planks would do the job.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We had ours newly laid about 2 months ago, we put some plywood sheets under each wheel (about 2 ft x 1ft), thinking to spread the load. partially worked but not 100%. As there is a slight slope we put some cut down scaffolding planks on top of the plywood on the driver's side this side virtually no visible impression on the tarmac, but just the ply wood there is a slight impression. Unfortunately the MH is parked on the section with the thickest tarmac.

The plywood definitely helped spread the load.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Sounds to me like they have not done a propped job . A properly compacted sub base ,a base course ,then a top layer of Tarmac,should be good for 3.5 t
A lot of 4&4 weigh around this and as someone who's in that line of work I'd say they've skimped somewhere.
The way to check is to cut a small hole to check Tarmac thickness and stone depth.

Vlad

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Have to agree with the others - job not done properly

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Hopefully it was a reputable company who would want to stand by their good name and they'll sort if for you :)

Not Itinerant's I hope. Did they try to sell you a dog, arrive in a caravan and still wore wellies even at 30*C :eek:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
When I had the parking area for the motorhome relayed I specified reinforced concrete with thick steel mesh, it was quite expensive at the time but worth every penny. No more deep ruts and it's easy to maintain.

OP
OP
Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. It is a very good company and I have been in touch and the MD is coming out next week having promised to "sort it". I like the idea of the paving slabs I have to admit. Probably embed themselves in over time...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. It is a very good company and I have been in touch and the MD is coming out next week having promised to "sort it". I like the idea of the paving slabs I have to admit. Probably embed themselves in over time...
Save the wait......while the tarmac is still soft mark out the dimensions for the four slabs, carefully remove the tarmac and drop in the slabs.....or ask the tarmac guys to do it as recompense for a crap job originally.

That way they wont look out of place.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
If you are going to use paving slabs they need to be put on a solid base or they will definitely crack that's why I went for reinforced concrete. The weight of a motorhome being parked for any length of time on unsupported slabs or tarmac will cause cracks which rainwater can seep through and soften the ground further.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I have to disagree I've done a fair few driveways for better off folk who park horse-boxes on theirs!
Several years on no ruts or cracks.

Vlad

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
A friend of mine had his drive tarmac by paddy who was doing a job up the road and had some materials left over. It looked so nice he thought he would clean his windows. He climbed 4 rungs of his ladder yet he was still at ground level. True story.....:)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are going to use paving slabs get "municipal" standard ones, which are much thicker than the things your local garden centre might sell.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Using paving slabs is a bodge........shouldn't be needed, will look a mess and will probably crack and sink anyway

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
whe I had mine drive bricked (differant I know) I had to have the lagwer deeper biricks used for lorry parks, 80mm? I seem to recall not the 50mm used for normal drives

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back