New Swift Select Catches Fire (1 Viewer)

Hellboy

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Funster No
Brand new 67'reg Swift Select van conversion catches fire...hope everyone got out safely...

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...hicle-fire-closes-13869996#ICID=FB-Wales-main

imageedit_17_7123251322.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Makes a change from the usual bonfire efigies.

Looks like it was burning from inside the cab /hab aera, electrical fault?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
thats a very energetic fire and looks like fuel or gas involved

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
that is a massive fire, looks like arson to me if it wasn't for the position on the road, but given that all the upholstery is fire retardant what on earth is burning so fiercely ?

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Looking at the shot at the end, looks like it started where the hab seats would be?

If so, electrical?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I wonder if they had any mods done involving wiring in that area? :(

now I know what I do about the D+ pillars which were under my seat o_O

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
So sad to see someone’s pride and joy go up in smoke. I hope all are safe.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Wondering if they possibly fitted Lithium Ion batteries.
They would be under the seat where the fire looks to have burnt hotter.
Here's a video of Li-On car batteries reacting with air after over charging:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Just a thought, a lithium on laptop battery has about the same amount of energy as a stick of dynamite. How much energy is in a lithium Ion leisure battery?

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Just a thought, a lithium on laptop battery has about the same amount of energy as a stick of dynamite. How much energy is in a lithium Ion leisure battery?

Not sure. A lot though :)

Pretty sure Tesla's use Lithium Ion, there a fair few videos on YouTube of what happens to them if the Battery goes.

When looking at new batteries for my van I looked at using Lithium Ion, before deciding it much to dangerous (in my opinion). I'll stick with Lithium Phosphate - far safer.

Not saying this fire was caused this way, just guessing, like I'm sure most are. Just the flames reminded me of the video I posted.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
There is a thread on Facebook Autotrail group at present where the Sargent control panel / psu has gone up in flames .
I know Swift use from the same supplier.. Wonder if there is any link.. :(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Looking at the shot at the end, looks like it started where the hab seats would be?

If so, electrical?
I think it's a Swift Select 184 so have just had a shuftie and that's the only thing in that vicinity that would appear to cause the damage to the side, there's nothing on the interior that would do it unless there was an item stored there by the owners or they'd had a second leisure battery built in under the half-dinette table.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
On a recent rally with another group, many of the attendees had 5 gallon fire buckets at the front of their vans. It struck me that a 5 gallon bucket of water would be absolutely no use at all against a fire of the magnitude of the one in this thread, particularly when gas and diesel are involved. :eek:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
LOL - it was a rule with some clubs who rally - my lady wife told the marshal on one such rally that if fire broke out in our van no way would she be trying to extinguish it by any means available anyway cos she'd just run as hard as she could as far away from it as possible!

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I was at a music festival a couple of years ago that allowed small open fires. We took our washing machine drum firepit and I filled a 3 gallon water bucket to sit next to it. Later the second evening, someone was letting off sky lanterns, one of them had barely taken off when it came down a set fire to a tent near us. I ran across with the water and put the flames out and we taped a bin bag over the damaged area to allow them to "carry on camping". I realise it wouldn't have done much to the conflagration pictured, but if you catch it soon enough ?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I thought the fire buckets were more to throw over a person if alight rather than a van?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I recently bought a fire extinguisher for the Moho. I hope I never use it,and it probably wouldn’t be much good against a fire that has been going a while,but it helps me sleep better!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I never leave any ancillary electrical equipment turned on ... not phones, mifis, laptops, tablets, razor etc ... not at home or in the camper! There is always the risk with these type of things which have their own battery of developing a fault either in the unit or the charger itself ... ALWAYS turn them off especially at night.

Having been in a MH when there was a fire I can tell you it is NOT something you want to experience, although our fire wasn't cause by an electrical fault but a gas BBQ point fault. For anyone who wants to read about it, here's a link to a posting I made:

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-a-fire-extinguisher.60744/page-2#post-715424

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I never leave any ancillary electrical equipment turned on ... not phones, mifis, laptops, tablets, razor etc ... not at home or in the camper! There is always the risk with these type of things which have their own battery of developing a fault either in the unit or the charger itself ... ALWAYS turn them off especially at night.

Having been in a MH when there was a fire I can tell you it is NOT something you want to experience, although our fire wasn't cause by an electrical fault but a gas BBQ point fault. For anyone who wants to read about it, here's a link to a posting I made:

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...-a-fire-extinguisher.60744/page-2#post-715424
Have you got a link to your original thread please Mel @Minxy Girl

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I recently bought a fire extinguisher for the Moho. I hope I never use it,and it probably wouldn’t be much good against a fire that has been going a while,but it helps me sleep better!

We have two extinguishers in the van and one in the car. At the village bonfire and BBQ on Sunday someone hadn't correctly coupled up the gas supply to the BBQ. Our car extinguisher (powder extinguisher) put the resultant fire out quickly. Luckily no one was hurt and no damage done. Now we need to get a new extinguisher.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back