New Stirling B2B Charder - strong smell? (1 Viewer)

FlyingTwiglet

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Swindon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
hi, had a B2b charger fitted last week. Have noticed a strong smell coming from under the drivers seat when driving. Is this a normal “new electrics” smell - but it should have worn off 5 days in right, or is the charger over charging the vehicle battery causing it to overheat? No issue with leisure battery which is Lithium and on the passsenger side. Vehicle battery shows 12.8v now I’m stationary, when I start the engine it says 14.7/14.8v? This is all new to me so any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Your B2B does not charge your vehicle battery, it takes power from your vehicle battery to your leisure battery normally while your engine is running.
The B2B unit is required to be mounted in an area that is not to enclosed and has good air flow for cooling as the cooling fan will come on at times.

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I would suspect the batteries ----- that are now being heavily charged, could well have failed

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I would suspect the batteries ----- that are now being heavily charged, could well have failed

He says the smell is coming from under the drivers seat where I suspect the vehicle battery and B2B are, but the leisure battery is under the passenger seat and lithium and they can take more amps as a charge than the B2b can chuck at it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
He says the smell is coming from under the drivers seat where I suspect the vehicle battery and B2B are, but the leisure battery is under the passenger seat and lithium and they can take more amps as a charge than the B2b can chuck at it.

Some models do have a leisure battery under the driver's seat. My engine battery is under the floor.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Some models do have a leisure battery under the driver's seat. My engine battery is under the floor.

That's as maybe, but the OP states "No issue with leisure battery which is Lithium and on the passsenger side" and the "strong smell coming from under the drivers seat", please pay attention Alex :D

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is it an acid smell, irritating ? If so do something NOW your battery is cooked and the fumes are explosive.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I know it's not a sensible answer but your heading says "New Stirling B2B Charder" so I would expect a burning smell - sorry I couldn't resist. ;)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Or is it the Stirling under the drivers seat, and the vehicle battery is under the floor. :pop:
Bob.

OP
OP
FlyingTwiglet

FlyingTwiglet

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Swindon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks folks, sorry for the delay been on the road. B2B and vehicle battery are under the drivers seat where the smell is coming from. Lithium leisure battery is under the passenger seat fully charged and cold.
The smell isn’t acrid and acidic more hot electrics I think.
I guess ventilation might be an issue although I can see the B2B through holes in the under seat shrouding.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Sounds like the Stirling or maybe a wire melting, could be the charger is not on the right setting, if it was cooking the vehicle battery it would smell like rotten eggs.:eek:
Maybe have a feel about under there and see if anything is getting hot, if not get the charger checked out, you don't want a fire. :eek: Bob.

OP
OP
FlyingTwiglet

FlyingTwiglet

Free Member
Oct 28, 2018
Swindon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks Bob. The B2B is getting hot I can feel it with my fingers when driving. Not a rotten egg smell thankfully. I think it might be overheating. Vans now back in storage to I’ll go have a look next weekend at the ventilation around it. As it’s under the seat it’s difficult to see what lights are displaying.
I’ll find out how to get access to it, take it for a drive and get a better look at what’s going on. Thanks all.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If there is a battery as well as the Stirling unit under the drivers seat I would respectfully suggest the charger is overheating, there can't be enough room there for proper ventilation. It certainly wouldn't fit under mine!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back