LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
N332 have asked us to translate this article outlining the new demerit point changes and updates to traffic laws.

Full translation below:

‼️Six demerit points for using the mobile and new speed limits: these are the novelties of the Traffic Law
The council of ministers has approved a bundle of legal reforms that, amongst other measures, raises the demerit point subtraction from 3 to 6 the points for the use of mobile phones while driving. ‼️

The council of ministers has approved a bunch of legal reforms that, amongst others, raises the demerit points that will be subtracted for the use of mobile phone at the wheel from 3 to 6, limits the speed of one-way single lane urban roads to 30 kilometres per hour and regulates scooters, which may not exceed kilometres per hour.

Some measures that are included in the reform of the Traffic law are, use of motor vehicles and road safety, the general traffic regulations, the general vehicle regulations and the general driver regulations.

The objective is to create a new model of road safety that will reduce fatalities and serious injuries by 50 percent over the next decade, in line with the recommendations of the World Health Organization.

These are the main measures:

1️⃣ Reform of licence points

- The points to be deducted for driving while holding a mobile in hand increases from 3 to 6. The 200-euro fine is maintained.

-The points to be deducted for not using seat belts, child restraint systems, helmets and other protection elements raises from 3 to 4 points. In addition, the misuse of these elements is penalized, such as wearing the helmet or the belt incorrectly without fastening them.

- “Carrying detection mechanisms for radars in vehicles”, even if they are deactivated, will be a serious offence, sanctioned with a 500 euros fine and the loss of three points.

- Cars and motorcycles may not exceed the speed limits by more than 20 kilometres per hour on conventional roads when overtaking other vehicles.

- 2 points on licences can be recovered for taking courses on safe driving certified by the DGT.

- The period to recover the initial balance of points without committing offences is consolidated in two years, regardless of the seriousness of the infractions committed.

- Using unauthorized intercommunication devices in driving tests will be considered a very serious offence, sanctioned with a 500 euros fine and 6 months ban from testing again.

- People and goods transport companies will be able to access the online drivers' registry to find out if their staff' driving licences are valid or not. It will only be reported in red (not valid) or green (valid).

2️⃣ Urban Travel

- It will not be possible to exceed 20 km/h on single carriageway roads that have a pavement platform.
- Those with a single lane of traffic in each direction, will be limited to 30 km/h.
- Those with two or more lanes of traffic per direction, the limit will continue to be 50 km/h.

3️⃣ Personal Mobility Vehicles.

- Vehicles with one or more wheels, equipped with a single seat and powered exclusively by electric motors, such as scooters and Segways will be regulated, the maximum speed will be between 6 and 25 km/h. Vehicles for people with reduced mobility such as wheelchairs are excluded.

- These may not be used on pavements and pedestrian areas, as well as on interurban roads, crossings, motorways and highways that pass-through towns, or in tunnels.

- They will have to comply with the rules of the road like other vehicles, so drivers may be subjected to the breathalyser test and headphones may not be used.

- These three measures will enter into force on January 2nd, 2021.

- In addition, these vehicles must have the corresponding certificates that certify that they comply with the technical requirements contemplated in the manual, two years after its publication.

4️⃣ Driving Licences

- The minimum age required to drive trucks is reduced from 21 to 18 years after having passed the 280-hour course for the professional aptitude certificate (CAP).

- The minimum age for driving coaches is also lowered to 18 years, but without passengers and within a maximum radius of 50 km. It will only be permitted to carry a passenger from the age of 21 and with the CAP of 280 hours.

- The weight of vans for the transport of goods that can be driven in national territory with the B licence is increased from 3,500 kg to 4,250 kg, only when the increase in mass is due to the new propulsion systems.

This article was translated by Torrevieja Translators for the benefit of the English speaking community, in collaboration with N332.

For any traffic related queries, head over to N332 where you can ask questions and see the latest updates.

Sources: https://www.cope.es/actualidad/vivi...son-las-novedades-ley-trafico-20201110_989374

Apr 29, 2019
Dover, Kent
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper, Corilliam
Exp
since 2002
I read on the Gov.co uk web site is that from 1st Jan you have to have a separate GB sticker on the back of your motorhome besides being on your number plate,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
- Cars and motorcycles may not exceed the speed limits by more than 20 kilometres per hour on conventional roads when overtaking other vehicles.

I didn't know that you can hoof it a bit when overtaking ;)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Although it doesn't affect me, am I reading it correctly that "mobility scooters may not be used on pavements and pedestrian areas" or are they excluded by the "such as wheelchairs"?

Gordon

On another read-through it appears to be such things as electric bikes and scooters which you stand on.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

May be only when overtaking equines?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Do they actually have traffic law's :Eeek: the last time i was their it was like ever man for him shelf :rofl:
bill

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
So does this mean when driving through any town unless on a dual carriageway it's a 30km limit?

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
So does this mean when driving through any town unless on a dual carriageway it's a 30km limit?
No, I think it's less than that if there is a pavement.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Yes .they only removed it from the motorways a few years back as people used to use it as an excuse & also no speed camera could be set at less than 141km/hr,on a 120km/hr road, due to it.

Although it doesn't affect me, am I reading it correctly that "mobility scooters may not be used on pavements and pedestrian areas" or are they excluded by the "such as wheelchairs"?

Gordon

On another read-through it appears to be such things as electric bikes and scooters which you stand on.
Yes mobility scooters are excluded . electric stand up scooters & the segway 2 foot balancers are not.

Unless it is 20km/hr. If it passes a school it is nearly always 20km/hr.

What kind of job requires an 18 year old to drive empty buses around :rolleyes:
Great demand here for empty bus drivers at the moment.:giggle:

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie
I'd assume that it's aimed at EVs. I can't think of any other power source or unit that would increase the weight dramatically..
You mean hybrids, EV's are comparable weight to current petrol/diesel powered cars, whereas hybrids have lots of extra weight an minimal electric range.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It appears the Spanish have realised speed kills.
They could iliminate vehicle death at a stroke...... Revoke private vehicle licence altogether. I'm sure Franco would have if he felt like it and most of officialdom seem to think he's still in charge.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You mean hybrids, EV's are comparable weight to current petrol/diesel powered cars, whereas hybrids have lots of extra weight an minimal electric range.
You are probably correct. Removal of fuel & tank, power unit, and transmission must come close the battery & motor(s) weight of an EV although an exception might be delivery vehicles that will possibly need the extra range offered by more batteries.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Speed does not kill.
I've done over 150MPH about 30,000 times.

Still here :)
I’ve been well over 500mph you’re correct speed doesn’t kill. There still some people who think it does. What is worse those that think speed kills are allowed to drive.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
What kind of job requires an 18 year old to drive empty buses around :rolleyes:
Bus mechanic , washer

My cousin used to work for lothian transport cleaning buses on nightshift
No psv but had to drive them around

Maybe something similar

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes mobility scooters are excluded . electric stand up scooters & the segway 2 foot balancers are not.
Phew i could see the Beni crew panicking there ....wot no mobility scooters

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
"The weight of vans for the transport of goods that can be driven in national territory with the B licence is increased from 3,500 kg to 4,250 kg, only when the increase in mass is due to the new propulsion systems."

Sounds like a realisation that electrically propelled vehicles will need the permitted weight increasing to allow for the added weight of the batteries -- an absolute necessity should an electrically-propelled MH ever be viable.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back