New Solar Set Up (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Ok, I know very little about solar systems so GOOD advice is most welcomed!
I have done a fair bit of research but I'm still left confused!
I need / want a powerful set up because I won't have access to a plug in every week to keep my batteries topped up. I'm sort of full timing off grid. ( a battery set up is another subject I'll need help with too ).
So, I've sort of decided I need / want at least a 200w set up. Maybe 300w? Not sure why but that's the conclusion I've come to. :D
I also need a pure sine wave inverter just to add to the mix! Again I'm thinking at least 1500w. I just want more power than I think I'll ever need to cover all possible eventualities. A Sterling one is a good make?
So, go on then, do your best! (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You seem to be on the right track so far 300watts should be pretty handy a tad more wouldn't hurt if you can fit it up there, MPPT controller will make the most of what you have and then yes a decent battery bank to store what you make and to see you through a few days without sun.

I dont have experience of Sterling as we use a Merlin Pure Sine inverter which seems a good bit of kit.

Martin

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Ok, not heard of Merlin before. Gonna have to do more research! :D2

Oh, and can anyone suggest a good company that installs these things too please.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
more solar will be the way. more like 600wt if not going south in winter.
600wt solar 600amp in battery storage should be ideal but in winter you will have to be careful of usage .
i use 6x80wt and even then in winter a weeks not good weather even in spain means being careful.
my mate fulltimes and at moment he is being careful as he lives in scotland and the weather hasnt been good . he has 600wt and big battery bank. a few weeks and he will be ok spain is calling . ha ha .

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
A lot of days in winter solar is next to useless in the uk, especially the north. Take today for instance around here, foggy and murky all day so nothing at all really to put in the batteries.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I'd start with working out how much power you will actually use.

Once you know how many Ah your using on average it's easy to work out how much battery power you need. Once you know how much charge you need to put into the batteries each day, it's easier to work out how much solar you need.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ok, not heard of Merlin before. Gonna have to do more research! :D2

Oh, and can anyone suggest a good company that installs these things too please.

This one with a remote panel for start/stop and terminals for mounting chunky cable lugs.

Ours came from RoadPro at one of the shows a few years ago.

Martin

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Ok, I know very little about solar systems so GOOD advice is most welcomed!
I have done a fair bit of research but I'm still left confused!
I need / want a powerful set up because I won't have access to a plug in every week to keep my batteries topped up. I'm sort of full timing off grid. ( a battery set up is another subject I'll need help with too ).
So, I've sort of decided I need / want at least a 200w set up. Maybe 300w? Not sure why but that's the conclusion I've come to. :D
I also need a pure sine wave inverter just to add to the mix! Again I'm thinking at least 1500w. I just want more power than I think I'll ever need to cover all possible eventualities. A Sterling one is a good make?
So, go on then, do your best! (y)
To provide any useful information there is a need to know what you will be using.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
That solar controller will only handle 10 amps at 12volts so not enough for 250watts in my view,

Martin

There is a 20A choice. I have 250W and 20A controller although it is protected by a 20A breaker trip--

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
When do you want to collect all this power and where? If you want a lot, keep moving or get a generator. 100W is all you'll get from a 100W panel when the sun is bright and perpendicular to the panel. So the stated wattage is an "up to" figure and generally a lot less in practice. Unfortunately, you'll need most 'leccy in Winter, which is the very time that that there's the least amount of sun. The most practical solution is to have big enough batteries, if you can afford the payload, to last between the opportunities to use EHU. B2B may be an alternative to a genny.

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
To provide any useful information there is a need to know what you will be using.
TV, microwave, heating, lighting, all the normal things really. Just not plugging into the mains for weeks / months at a time.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
TV, microwave, heating, lighting, all the normal things really. Just not plugging into the mains for weeks / months at a time.
Forget about heating not practical from batteries, unless you have a large battery bank I wouldn't bother with a microwave, startup current is very high on them.

If you want to stay off grid for weeks in winter in the UK you probably need 400-600 A/H of batteries and at least 600 watts of solar panels with a good MPPT regulator.
A B2B (Battery to battery charger) will charge the leisure batteries faster when driving.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
By "heating" I think the poster was referring to their pump or fan for circulation.
With all these things, it's not whether they exist but for how long they are used.

OP
OP
A
Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Well in the end I got Vanbitz to fit a 150w panel and all associated bits and pieces. I'll see how that goes for a while. Maybe add to that later. My batteries are 90ah so may up those to 115's too.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back