LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I know before I start that this is gonna be a really daft question but I need to know. Sorry.

Can I use my Truma heater on electric setting with an 80 solar panel please. It's just that some of your answers keep going on about showers etc so I presume you have hot water from it.

Or, ..... sorry if daft again ....... if I switch my truma water heater on will it heat from the engine battery automatically if I am not on hook up or will it use gas. apologies in advance. :Sad:

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Just out of interest as we are on hookup at the moment, at 0900 this morning our panels were producing 8amp. Mark (C.L.S.) advised us that two 80watt panels were much more efficient than a 130 which was our original intention. Up to now and after talking to others he was right. :thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Impressive report Ken:thumb:

I am going to get one 80 watt hopefully this year.

Now have a folding 80 watt panel from CLS and very impressed with it as well.

Well done Mark (CLS & Solars to go)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I know before I start that this is gonna be a really daft question but I need to know. Sorry.

Can I use my Truma heater on electric setting with an 80 solar panel please. It's just that some of your answers keep going on about showers etc so I presume you have hot water from it.

Or, ..... sorry if daft again ....... if I switch my truma water heater on will it heat from the engine battery automatically if I am not on hook up or will it use gas. apologies in advance. :Sad:

your heater will only work on gas or 230v main leccy.....
it needs 12v for the control panel only and will not heat on 12v alone.

the referals to showers means the power used by the water pump, not the hot water used.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just fitted 2nd 80watt panel this afternoon
Pulling in 6 amps cloudy but bright. No direct sunshine:thumb:
remember its only light you need not heat from the sun to make em dance :winky:
Geo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
its only light you need not heat from the sun to make em dance :winky:
Geo

very true Geo, in fact heat reduces their output .. hence the need for a good air space between the panel and the van roof , and altogether better if they can be inclined toward the sun ..

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Pappa John it's me again. Sorry. Can you confirm therefore, that all I can use my solar panel for is:-

My Avitex tv
Charging my mobile phone
My lights
Possibly a very small hairdryer with an adaptor on
The flush on the toilet

Can I use my hair tongs that blow hot air at 115/230 (on the side of them) if I use an adaptor?

Is it worth me getting an adaptor/invertor thingy?:Blush:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Joy you seem a little confused as to what you have. You have a solar panel charging your 12V battery ( in adition to the engine alternator charging it when running or mains hookup charging. As long as you take less out of your battery than you are putting in you can use whatever 12 Volt appliences you want. The battery is 12V direct current. The panel only charges the battery it does not run things directly. You cannot use houshold appliences that run on 220-240Volt Alternating current unless you have an inverter. However having said that any mains voltage appliences that include a heating element (hairdrier, toaster, fan heater, microwave, etc) will run the battery flat very quickly. so should not be used. Chat to me about it in the chatroom if you have any further queries.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Roger. If I can't get in tonight it will be after quizz tomorrow. I don't understand all these technical things.:thumb:

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
My friend who is new to MH as just had a price for a 85w solar panel to be fixed to his MH and ask me if this would be big enough to run the lights and top the batters up the price was 500 euros for the complete job.We have read this thread but I dont know anything on solar panels so i thought I ask for help on this.Thanks hope you can help:thumb:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Ken, I can't help on any technical bits and pieces ...... as you probably have realised .... but I have just paid £500 for the same as you state. Mine only charges the leisure battery up for that price and cuts off when battery is fully charged.

For another £120 I could have had it that it sends the charge over to the engine battery once the leisure battery is full and then that cuts off when fully charged. that was a better system but I just couldn't afford it at the moment.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My friend who is new to MH as just had a price for a 85w solar panel to be fixed to his MH and ask me if this would be big enough to run the lights and top the batters up the price was 500 euros for the complete job.We have read this thread but I dont know anything on solar panels so i thought I ask for help on this.Thanks hope you can help:thumb:
Yup it will certainly do that in the direct sun it will be like having a small battery charger on, running in about 4.5 amps
Ken, I can't help on any technical bits and pieces ...... as you probably have realised .... but I have just paid £500 for the same as you state. Mine only charges the leisure battery up for that price and cuts off when battery is fully charged.:thumb:

For another £120 I could have had it that it sends the charge over to the engine battery once the leisure battery is full and then that cuts off when fully charged. that was a better system but I just couldn't afford it at the moment.
There is kit about a lot cheaper than £120 that will do that job:thumb:
Prices seem a little on the high side
Geo

kenspain

Free Member
May 22, 2009
Funster No
Yup it will certainly do that in the direct sun it will be like having a small battery charger on, running in about 4.5 amps

There is kit about a lot cheaper than £120 that will do that job:thumb:
Prices seem a little on the high side
Geo

Sorry a bit lost here a kit for 120 pound? what a 85w solar panel and fix it yourself job

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sorry a bit lost here a kit for 120 pound? what a 85w solar panel and fix it yourself job
That comment was under the post. referance "for an extra £120.00 I could have had the engine battery charged as well"
answer was----There is kit about a lot cheaper than £120 that will do that job:thumb:
Geo

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I was thinking of getting the gadget to charge both batteries but didn't. Found out that once the leasure batteries reach 13.8V the engine battery starts charging anyway (must be something in the Rapido electrics) so a pleasant surprise at no cost.
I did splash out on a more upmarket regulator/controller which incorporates a 3 stage charger. This has charged the batteries to a higher charge than the mains hookup (just a float charger) or driving (which only gives a low charge once the engine battery is charged. Very pleased with results.
85w panel from Detroit Solar with 2x100AH batteries.

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
would not be without panels

just had nearly 3 weeks in cornwall without hook up panels great and averaged between 5-15ah charge rate
did use genny for half hour each morning after first week as michaela had hair dryer , straightners and hoover running which can take over 100a out of batteries using these on our inverter, which did show signs of killing us by late night , when michaela had to go back early we ran every thing fine from batteries without firing the genny and by midday batteries full and charger unable to put more power in
would not be without them fitted
120 and 80w panel fitted , 2 x 100ah batteries , 4kw inverter, split charger for leisure/van batteries, honda 20i genny

if only i could get the house to preform so well !!!!!!

OP
OP
Munchie

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Hi just an update, mix of sun and cloud this week. Batteries down to 12.9v by last thing at night and back up to 13.9v by 10 AM. :thumb:

Thiery

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Funster No
That comment was under the post. referance "for an extra £120.00 I could have had the engine battery charged as well"
answer was----There is kit about a lot cheaper than £120 that will do that job:thumb:
Geo
Hi.
Just a thought, do you really need to charge your engine battery with a solar panel? It will be fully charged after a run, and is not normally used when parked up.:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back