new solar ect what do you think (1 Viewer)

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
well i have just fitted to my rv 500wat 12v solar pannals 3000w inverter and 6 x 110 amp batterys

as we live in a great place for sun in the uk i have fitted the above to keep me going i was thinking of adding more batterys is it worth it if parking up and will the pannals give the power to charge?
i run 2x 12v 22" tv's, sky box, 2 laptops and 4 mobile phones and all of the normal things heater fan, water pump lights ect

i do have microwave and a dryer that will be used sometimes and want to have the power there and charge the batterys with the solar when i use them

i have also taken the 240v charger of the mains and fitted it to the genny and the same with the 110v ie the fridge so wont lose power there

Last edited:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
well i have just fitted to my rv 500wat 12v solar pannals 3000w inverter and 6 x 110 amp batterys

as we live in a great place for sun in the uk i have fitted the above to keep me going i was thinking of adding more batterys is it worth it if parking up and will the pannals give the power to charge?
i run 2x 12v 22" tv's, sky box, 2 laptops and 4 mobile phones and all of the normal things heater fan, water pump lights ect

i do have microwave and a dryer that will be used sometimes and want to have the power there and charge the batterys with the solar when i use them

i have also taken the 240v charger of the mains and fitted it to the genny and the same with the 110v ie the fridge so wont lose power there

Even with your panels I think you will need the help of 240v in the UK (come to Spain)

But you can increase your panels efficiency by 1/3 if you can tilt the panels to the sun and if you can also rotate them to follow the sun another 1/3 as in winter the sun in the UK is very low in the sky. In other words flat panels in the UK only work at 1/3 the max in the UK and that at noon, in the morning and evening it's much less.

Doug...

Last edited:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp

:Cool: Just one point. What Controller do you have? Something like the Controller that I have can take the extra voltage produced by the Panels and convert it to extra Amps for charging.
I have a Solar Boost 2000E Controller made by Blue SKy Energy. But others make similar Controllers. :thumb:

I agree with Doug. Come to SPAIN. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
all i have is a 30amp controler
i may have to get a 50amp controler as i no where there are more pannals cheep
i no i lived in spain for 9 months and the wether was a lot better

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I would be surprised if your panels were producing more than 4amps at this time of the year. So work out how much you actually need. 30 amp controller is ample. max theoretical current is 33amps from 500W but it will never get there and probably ony 25% of that on a sunny summer day.

Last edited:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
We have a Morningstar Pro Star 30 controller that shows battery state in both LED display as well as coloured LED's, also Amps in put from solar array.

Link Removed

Mick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back