New snow chain requirements in France (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584 2002
Having finally booked a trip to France in late November and planning to head to the South coast or thereabouts, I have just read about the new law requiring 4 winter tyres fitted or snow chains carried when driving "in mountainous areas" in 48 départements. Has anyone found a map defining what roads are covered? I'm particularly wondering if the A75 through the Massif Central might be affected, given that over 50km is at or above 1000m. It's been our preferred route to the South.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As the A75 is an Autoroute although it can get blocked (more lightly in February) it will be cleared quick. I've never noticed any snow chain signs on it.
I'm in France at the moment not coming back until 10th Nov., as we might end up in the Pyrenees I put my snow chains in, I have winter tyres on all year.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
If you travel and unable to comply with the conditions to drive, you will not be permitted to travel further and asked to park up. I have seen several motorhomes being directed to park for not having snow chains , especially in ski areas.
The roads to ski resorts are kept reasonably clear for local traffic and ski tourists, so you may not be days parked up..

1632950256652.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
The departments all have roads which have often seen motorists blocked by snow and ice in the past.

The departments are:

Ain, Allier, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Hautes-Alpes, Alpes-Maritimes, Ardèche, Ariège, Aude, Aveyron, Cantal, Côte-d’Or, Creuse, Doubs, Drôme, Eure-et-Loir, Gard, Haute-Garonne, Hérault, Isère, Jura, Loire, Haute- Loire, Lot, Lozère, Meurthe-et-Moselle, Moselle, Nièvre, Puy-de-Dôme, Pyrénées-Atlantiques, Hautes-Pyrénées, Pyrénées-Orientales, Bas-Rhin, Haut-Rhin, Rhône, Haute-Saône, Saône-et-Loire, Savoie, Haute-Savoie, Tarn, Tarn-et-Garonne, Var, Vaucluse, Haute-Vienne, Vosges, Yonne, Territoire de Belfort. Corse du Sud and Haute-Corse are also affected.
Chains are attached to the driving wheels.. They have to be the right size to fit over the vehicle’s tyres and most modern ones have easy-fit connections.

Speed is limited to 50kph when chains are fitted, and they have to be taken off when the road surface is clear, or they damage the asphalt.

It is likely that departmental decrees will say that chains must be fitted, even if winter tyres are in place for some routes, as they are more efficient, especially when climbing or descending steep gradients.

Fines for not having chains or winter tyres will be fixed by department prefects but the guidelines they have been given are that it will be a fourth category offence, meaning fines of €135 and the possibility of cars being taken off the road.

I am awaiting further information which i believe is being released in November.
1633265215954.png

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
From what I've heard on news, no matter chains sign or not. The law changes, and the signs don't at the same speed. A few years back I had to drive my daughter from Toulouse to Paris with snow on the motorway. I was opening the way and cars behind me never tried to overtake me. No engine to clear the road up to Montauban. It took me 2 hours to cover the 40kms distance between my place and Montauban. Something is sure if that was to happen after 1st of November and if caught without snow tyres...I wouldn't be allowed to carry on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back