New smart TV & its a lot smarter than me! (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Many years ago I used to revel in buying new technology. I bought the first stereo video recorder that I'd ever seen at a cost of £650 remember this was in 1985. This video machine had on board video editing so I cropped & edited any family videos. I also bought a new TV to go with it.
I spent ages hooking it all together through my music centre (remember them?). (y)

Then along comes Ni-Cam videos & TVs, I galloped out to Rumbellows for another new video & telly to get the very best usage out of the setup.

Then there was surround sound & you've guessed it , I just had to have it. I even plumbed in cables inside the plaster to make the wires invisible. Little shelves for the rear speakers went up next.

Well I don't smoke, was tea total & didn't have any kids (yet) I also held down two jobs, so pampering myself always felt that I'd earned it.

I spent many happy hours reading up on things & setting it all up.

Now fast forward to today & our new TV arrived. The old one had a screen fault & was under warranty.
This old TV was a Panasonic 4K UHD smart telly with 3D on board & went quite well with another new techy machine, namely SkyQ. As I'd been setting up this old TV I began to think that I was close to getting to being out of my depth with some of this kit.

Now the new TV is also 4K UHD smart model with dozens of features which I've never seen before.
I've got it all up & running, but you'd need to be a techno geek to fully understand it.
I'll happily admit that now I am out of my depth. :cry:

So the question is as follows, am I too old to fathom it out or has the technology become a little too smart cos its way smarter than me? :(

It's really bad when a man has to resort to actually reading the instructions :eek:, either that or I'll need to ask my granddaughter as children get into this kit taking it in there stride.?????

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
One good thing to come out of this will be, when you have fully read and re read the instructions for the 4th time
You will remember why you never bothered reading em all those years ago:doh:

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
You’ve answered your own question.
Ask your granddaughter, and ask her to be patient with you :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I leave all that stuff to my wife.

I remember probably 25 years ago I bought a stack stereo system for my ex wife.

I came across this round piece marked “ mat” and put it on the table and put the stack on top of it.

I found that the turntable didn’t work because the records kept slipping so I self righteously went into Curry’s to complain and the guy I spoke to said “ the mat will stop the records slipping”.

It suddenly dawned on me:doh:

So I don’t touch tecky stuff anymore :)

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
The only problem with that is that we're in Scotland but our granddaughter lives in deepest darkest Essex. :wasntme:

Video calling.......

No, no grandad... Hold your phone closer so I can see what you connected wrong.

The only trouble with that PPJ is there is still nobody to teach him how to video message.

AK, what’s your granddaughter like at drawing. And writing simple instructions,and then posting them!:D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Shirls still in awe that she can see & talk to her daughter in Australia on her phone or computer.
Tis black magic I tell you.

Arrius

Free Member
Jun 29, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
As the only tech-savvy person in the house with 4 other girls, it bothers me to no end when I can't figure out something on a new gadget we buy too.

And naturally, it is up to me to figure out and teach everything there is to know about a new TV, microwave oven etc.

Thank god, I have a knack for it and doesn't take me long to figure out how anything works otherwise we would be living in the stone age if it was up to my wife :D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back