New Regulations in France this year (1 Viewer)

Apr 16, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mli570
Exp
Getting better
Hi all
I’ve just noticed this new regulation for MH’s and Caravans travelling in France this year (If and when we can).
There is a requirement to display ‘Blind Spot Stickers on vehicles over 3.5t.

Extract from ‘Caravan Salon Club”
KÜS: Warning sticker blind spot

A warning sticker for vehicles with an indication of the dangers of the blind spot, especially for two-wheelers, is mandatory in France from this year. The provision applies to vehicles over 3.5 tons. This means that mobile homes and caravans are also covered by the regulation. The location of the notice on the vehicle is also clearly defined.

Nobody knows at the moment what the vacation behavior of Germans this year, for example at Easter, will look like - and what it should look like. The pandemic determines the direction. It is clear, however, that holidays with your own mobile home or caravan are enjoying growing popularity. Although many purchases of such leisure vehicles were already made last year due to the reduced VAT, which tripled the number of new registrations in December, the segment grew by another 3.7 percent in January 2021. This is reported by the industry association CIVD. The wave of travel, whatever it looks like and possible, certainly leads many to France, to the coast in the south or to the winter sports areas. Then the warning sticker regarding the blind spot must be present on the vehicle.

It is mandatory to attach it on both sides, vertically at a height of 0.9 to 1.5 meters, horizontally within the first meter of the front of the vehicle. It must be stuck to the rear of the vehicle on the right-hand side, also between 0.9 and 1.5 meters high. Glazed surfaces and parts of the vehicle lighting must not be covered with them.

Also affected by the regulation are vehicles not registered in France over 3.5 tonnes, including mobile homes and caravans in this weight class. If the sticker is not affixed correctly, the French police still have a margin of discretion this year. However, anyone traveling without a sign can expect a fine of up to 135 euros.

There are currently two versions: one for trucks and one for buses. The variant with a bus image is recommended for mobile homes, as it is also a vehicle for passenger transport. They are available as stickers or magnetic signs, the cost of the stickers is less than 10 euros. It remains to be seen whether other countries will follow suit with such an action.

The signs with the inscription "Attention! Angles Morts" (French for "Achtung! Toter Winkel") are available online, but also at petrol stations near the border with France.

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
I can't be asked with the French or the rest of the EU at the moment. I'll be spending my money in the UK this year. At least more of us will have had the vaccination so it should be safer to holiday in the UK rather than Europe.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Will there be a velcro version to stick on plastic mohos when in France?
That would be a good idea, or something similar for applying the signs temporally. Why on earth they need to be the same size, weather on a 44t truck or a 3.6t NH

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
That would be a good idea, or something similar for applying the signs temporally. Why on earth they need to be the same size, weather on a 44t truck or a 3.6t NH
I confess to learning the hard way when I discovered my shiny GB sticker was magnetic and not sticky just as we were due to board the ferry to Calais. Luckily found a strip of stick on velcro strip in the sewing box which got me out of the $h1t. But if I see anybody with velcro'd blind spot stickers I'll be claiming royalties :rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
i drive on the M2 a lot most european trucks now have the stickers on including the french

OP
OP
Jimbo50
Apr 16, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mli570
Exp
Getting better
I can't be asked with the French or the rest of the EU at the moment. I'll be spending my money in the UK this year. At least more of us will have had the vaccination so it should be safer to holiday in the UK rather than Europe.
Sorry I offended you as I was only thinking someone would rather have information on driving requirement than risk a fine of many Euros

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Sorry I offended you as I was only thinking someone would rather have information on driving requirement than risk a fine of many Euros
No apology needed, we used to get the same when we put rally threads on, the ' clever one ' would post why they are not going, 🙄 no one was interested in who wasn't going. 🤔
Thanks for taking the time posting. 🙂 Bob.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Wild horses couldn't drag me over the Channel this year, firstly there is CV-19 & I'd rather be in the UK if that goes tits up again, secondly they're still smarting over out leaving the EU, I'd trust them about as far as I could throw them for now.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I’m risking being shot at dawn by Jim.......but this has been covered at length in previous threads.😀
Yep, it's already been thrashed out in loads of posts over the past two months.
Familiarity with the 'Search' facility is very handy for obtaining information .......chapter and verse here:
<Broken link removed>

Last edited:

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
If we’ve got to do it so be it I can see where they could be placed on a M/H
but what about those of us who tow a trailer with a car on it . i Assume we would put it on the car . Going to look a bit funny when the car off the trailer .Dont you just love the french

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
For those that 'take a chance' on going over 50mph, the speed limit for over 3.5t, there is now a sign on your vehicle telling the cops who wouldnt otherwise know that you are over that weight as it isnt particularly obvious that you are indeed over 3.5t. Nowhere in that sentence have I said that I do that before I get a load of abuse for not complying with local laws!

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
When this was first announced I was told that there is an UN treaty which states that if a vehicle is legal in one country it is legal in all the the other signatory cuntries for short (holiday) visits.

One potential problem with that.

The French police will not know or care.

I have ordered my three stickers, but may struggle on the back of our motorhome because we usually carry two bikes on a rack.

Here is the detail : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Road_Traffic

Dji_0128a.jpg

Last edited:

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
Hi I just looked at the web site to purchase them the question I have why are they sold in threes. I will need at least four with the trailer
while I accept that at present this is only France and the signs are in french
what happens if the a whole of Europe follow suit . And should we not have a sign in English when we are at home
happy days

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
Hi I just looked at the web site to purchase them the question I have why are they sold in threes. I will need at least four with the trailer
while I accept that at present this is only France and the signs are in french
what happens if the a whole of Europe follow suit . And should we not have a sign in English when we are at home
happy days
Amazon sell them in more than threes : Amazon product ASIN B08T6KRT6P

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
Many thanks for the link
I have a question which side do we put the front ones on off side or near side
happy days

Apr 22, 2015
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
Since 2014
I am sorry but if your mirrors are set correctly and have cameras pointing down the sides do we actually have blind spots? We also have cameras on the rear, again no blind spot, artics when turning or reversing have blind spots then yes have the stickers but how modern day cyclists are then they won’t read them so a waste of a law really.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I am sorry but if your mirrors are set correctly and have cameras pointing down the sides do we actually have blind spots? We also have cameras on the rear, again no blind spot, artics when turning or reversing have blind spots then yes have the stickers but how modern day cyclists are then they won’t read them so a waste of a law really.
I don't think you need a sign to tell you that if a 44 tonne truck runs over your cycle the driver of the truck would not notice. If you need a sign to warn you then really you should not be allowed out without a Carer with you. BUSBY.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
When this was first announced I was told that there is an UN treaty which states that if a vehicle is legal in one country it is legal in all the the other signatory cuntries for short (holiday) visits.

I have ordered my three stickers, but may struggle on the back of our motorhome because we usually carry two bikes on a rack.

Here is the detail : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vienna_Convention_on_Road_Traffic

View attachment 471218
[/QUOTE
Many thanks for the link
happy days
BOTH Sides I do believe

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
My Rimor has a max of 3.5 tons. I tow a little unbraked 400 kg trailer. Do I need these stickers?
They look bloody huge and ugly to me.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming

View attachment 471218

I agree to some extent with your first paragraph that a vehicle that’s legal in its own country “should” in theory be accepted as legal in the countries throughout Europe that it passes thru, I believe that what you are referring to is the Geneva convention, but neither the French, Spanish, Portuguese or Germans plus many others will allow the free passage of a British Motorhome towing a car on an Aframe, usually imposing a 2-300 euro fine and insist you unhitch, Yet it is acceptable in UK. Please note, I did say acceptable not completely legal, untill a test case arises in Uk this will always remain a grey area and is likely to remain the case, but Spain have never accepted it.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Many thanks for the link
happy days
Both sides at the front, right of centre at the rear, all at a height between 0.9 and 1.5 mtrs, the front ones should be within 1 mtr of the front of the vehicle.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Both sides at the front, right of centre at the rear, all at a height between 0.9 and 1.5 mtrs, the front ones should be within 1 mtr of the front of the vehicle.

So you stick the front ones to the nearside and driver doors? How decorative.

Apparently it is only a requirement in urban areas - whatever that means.

And I have read through the French guide and it doesn't mention whether the weight of a trailer is added to the motorhome. So is the determining factor the 3.5 tonne vehicle weight, or the train weight?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back