New Regulations in France this year (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Only required for vehicles over 3.5t. and in urban areas.
As far as most French are concerned all camping cars are under 3.5t.
So, unless your van is huge and you intend driving into large town/ city centres I think you need not bother.

Only my opinion of course, if you get nicked don’t blame me. :imoutahere:

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
So you stick the front ones to the nearside and driver doors
Only if your doors are within 1 mtr of the front :giggle:

Unfortunately for me, there is no one who would look at my motorhome and think it was under 3.5 tonnes so i will have to bite the bullet and stick them on, if for no other reason then if i should have the misfortune to run over a blind cyclist, no one can say "but you didn't have any stickers telling the blind cyclist not to go down the inside of you" . And 1 mtr from the front is fine for a truck with a flat front, but not so good for a motorhome that has curved surfaces in the proscribed places.

The next thing the French bureaucrats will require is an audible warning when turning, as the stickers won't make a blind bit of difference. And they'll probably require that to be a spoken warning in French "Attention, attention, véhicule tournant à droite"
:giggle: or maybe it should start "Listen very carefully i shall say this only once"

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Just a load of bureaucratic nonsense from Europe. It is also pointless, cyclists cannot read and drivers ( in general) do not know what wing mirrors are for!!!!!
Bureaucratic french bull twink.

Why does it have to be in French language ?.

Maybe it should read “agonistic tw4ts”

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
If this law is adopted across the EU, will other countries accept the signage in French or insist on their own language? I can foresee the ridiculous situation of have multiple signs in different languages and changing at the boarders! How on earth would this work for vehicles that will have to use stick on signs? How much "fun" will some have removing magnetic signs and making a collection in every language..

Does anyone know if this is an actual fully passed law in France or is it the same farce that was the "law" to carry your own breathalysers? I would love to see the actual research that proves that cyclist will be so much safer coming up the inside of a large vehicle that has a sign on it!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I thought if a vehicle is legal in it's own country it's legal abroad, therefore it doesn't apply to UK vehicles 🤔

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
I thought if a vehicle is legal in it's own country it's legal abroad, therefore it doesn't apply to UK vehicles 🤔
Correct. The Vienna convention of 1968. This was a United Nations managed agreement.

However, Spain acknowledged but never ratified it, Ireland wasn't included. Netherlands signed it, but don't really apply it.

But the real issue is that your chance of the Gendarme, Polizei or Polizia Stradale officer who pulls you over, actually applying the Vienna convention correctly, is pot luck. As a general rule, Yerp, tends to ban everything unless it is specifically stated as legal. In UK, everything is legal unless specifically illegal (hence the daft situation of A Frames being neither legal nor illegal in Britain).

The question you have to ask yourself is whether you fancy arguing the toss with a Yerp cop and them becoming so annoyed that you end up being arrested. You may be completely legal, but you could ruin your trip proving it. Is it worth it?

Best bet is to adhere to the rules in that country and not rely on the Vienna convention.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I have been talking to a Frenchman this morning, I mentioned the fact that nobody on the aire even though it full,🙄 have any stickers on their campingcars. 🤔
He sort of blew through his teeth Phhhhhh and waved his arms around, then continued to do his daily checks oil tyres and lights and a jolly wave and on his way. 😁 Bob.
20211003_094230.jpg20211003_094354.jpg And there are many like him. 😁 20211003_094238.jpg

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Been in France for nearly 5 weeks now and see the stickers on dozens of obviously over 3500 kg Motorhomes. French,Dutch and German. Havent seen any Brit Motorhomes ( except one at 3500kg. I am surprised that the French are following a law for once! (Everyone wearing masks too where they are supposed to.)
I asked about exemptions, to be told if you want to apply for exemption you can but must stay at home! Love it👍

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
Only required for vehicles over 3.5t. and in urban areas.
As far as most French are concerned all camping cars are under 3.5t.
So, unless your van is huge and you intend driving into large town/ city centres I think you need not bother.

Only my opinion of course, if you get nicked don’t blame me. :imoutahere:

Where did you find the reference to urban areas only, I have seen it mentioned several times on various threads but with no source referenced. The french legislation makes no distinction between areas just provides exemptions for forestry, agricultural and highways support vehicles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back