New Recall - Transit Mk 7 Oil Pump - Check Again Now! (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
For anyone that does check & find that they need it or has been recalled by letter for the oil pump replacement it is also worth making sure that your vehicle has also had the software update that was the first recall on our type of Transit engine http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/ford-transit-chassis-recall.87813/ . If there has been a change of owners then Ford don't have their details & if not spotted by the Ford garage when servicing then recall work might not have been done :( Both recalls could result in major engine problems/total failure so worth checking as no guarantee that Ford would cover the cost of resulting problems at a later date if recalls not done.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Need to get this recall info. out there for both the oil pump & software so please feel free to repost/add link to thread on Facebook, other forums etc. Hopefully most owners affected will get notified by Ford eventually but we are getting feedback from lots that haven't been so far...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Having had a quick search online it looks like Ford, Citroen & Peugeot have collaborated on engines since 1998 & still do so perhaps this is why the potential crossover with regards to the oil pump. Makes it seem more likely that Citroen & Peugeot engines could have the same oil pump issue...
Its not just similar parts, Peugeot ( and probably Citroen) use the Ford Puma 2.2 engine. Mine ( Peugeot) has Ford labels around the engine.
I rang the Peugeot recall line a while ago and was told mine was not affected, or maybe, not ready for recall yet!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
For Pug based vans, I just found the Peugeot recall line number, might be worth ring ( with your Vin number) to see if yours is affected. I will ring later when I have the Vin to hand.
0845 600 4400.

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
We bought new Citreon Relay van in December 2012, converted ourselves and hubby services it himself. Had to go to Citroen garage last week to get a new key coded as we had lost one and that was first we knew of recall. Booked in Friday for new oil pump so yes covers Citroen Relay 2.2 as well.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We bought new Citreon Relay van in December 2012, converted ourselves and hubby services it himself. Had to go to Citroen garage last week to get a new key coded as we had lost one and that was first we knew of recall. Booked in Friday for new oil pump so yes covers Citroen Relay 2.2 as well.
Thank you for the feedback & that confirmation - good to know that Citroen are now addressing this too. The Transit software upgrade was also critical due to the damage that could be done without it but perhaps that is just for Ford? Might be worth asking if it applies to Citroen too just in case.
Will copy your comment on to the other thread http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...mp-may-affect-citroen-peugeot-engines.119871/ so it reaches anyone that might not read this thread - hope that is ok .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Bumping for anyone that might not have seen this yet - we get new members & Google searches find Fun info. everyday which is how we found the forum :xgrin:

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
Excellent post thank you, mine is all right but I had a nasty moment there as I get the feeling that things get overlooked by convertors and dealers, thanks for raising it and Happy Christmas

Apr 30, 2014
Fife
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 2012
Just checked on Etis site and no recall on mine which was built 1/11/13 but will ask the question when it goes for its service in March.
At the service last March I complained about how easy it was to stall and was told there was no updates for the software and nothing they could do. However after I picked it up I could tell right away that it was different and I have never stalled it since. I don't think Ford are very up front with info to their customers.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Just checked on Etis site and no recall on mine which was built 1/11/13 but will ask the question when it goes for its service in March.
At the service last March I complained about how easy it was to stall and was told there was no updates for the software and nothing they could do. However after I picked it up I could tell right away that it was different and I have never stalled it since. I don't think Ford are very up front with info to their customers.
Ours used to stall easily too then had the software update http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/ford-transit-chassis-recall.87813/#post-1041525 & no more problems & runs much quieter & smoother (y) Ford definitely stagger recalls according to what ones they consider to be a priority so they can cope with the workload but seems strange to deny doing what seems to be that recall update as that is one of the selling points of having it serviced by a Ford dealership!

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Just been down to the local Ford service center, booked in for a 2nd year mechanical service (£209 ouch!) asked them to check if oil pump needed fixing or a software update. No they said, check again I said, they did, still NO. So looks like our vehicle don't need it.

Tell you what tho, for £209 I can see the work they have to put in and the stuff they check. But a Hab service is the same price and what do they do to justify that ? Check interior lights, water heating, gas, and that the doors open and shut, plus a damp check. HHHmmm.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I've taken my 2014 Auto Sleeper to Local Peugeot dealers today for warranty work, I was told no oil pump recall and service which is due in 6 weeks will cost £418 double ouch.

John.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Strangely twice the price of a Ford service !!! How much are you paying for a Hab service ?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
By ringing around & pushing for price matching we got our Ford service (Interim) down to £150 this year - £209 is a good price for a Ford major service (y) We use Highbridge Caravans for our hab service (£199!) each year as they are local to us, are a Chausson dealership with a good reputation for servicing & we want to maintain our 10 year shell warranty. We do SORN the motorhome whenever not in use for a month or more & shop around for insurance to try & keep the running costs down.

Oct 22, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
I have resisted posting on this thread as I never understood why my van matched the criteria set out in the letter. The letter from Ford was received in July and the dealer contacted at once. The letter was headed as urgent and referred to:-

Transit2006 and Transit Custom 2.2l Duratotq (Global Puma) - Oil pump-Service Program.

Quote: transit vans used under certain high mileage and drive cycle conditions may have an increased risk of wear within the oil pump. This could result in reduced oil pressure and consequential engine damage if the oil warning lamp illuminates and is ignored.

My van registered November 62 had covered 15100 miles when the pump was changed August 65. Low mileage and not a delivery van on daily routine. The Ford dealer who has serviced the van from new carried out the work.
Shortly after the modification we went on a 800 miles tour and I noted that whilst the fuel consumption had been gradually improving to around 27/29 mpg it had now struggled to achieve 23 mpg. I mention this at the next full service but did not get a positive response.
Next event occurred at the end of November at 16600 miles when on a site I discovered oil in the water header tank . Phoned Ford blue service who were brilliant and my regular dealer who received the van and advised me of the cost to replace the oil cooler. They would save what they could which they did and gave me access to the workshop and the fitter doing the work. No complaints there and we had the van back within 3 days of the breakdown.
We since travelled approx 1000 miles and all seems Ok even the fuel consumption seems to have improved.
Now it maybe that these events are coincidental but the van had not had any problems at all until the pump change and to then have a £1000 bill as the van is out of warranty. I have written to Ford begging mercy as I do feel that this is an unreasonable failure to occur at what is for a transit van very low mileage.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
It was reported on here in October that there was a Ford Transit Mk 7 recall for oil pump failure & we checked ours on Etis & with Ford dealership on their system & ours wasn't listed but now it is! Luckily we were alerted by a phone call from our local dealership.
Please check with your VIN numbers here https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do
Ours is having a service at the same time so hopefully it will be cheaper as the cost (& hopefully labour) of the oil & oil filter being changed should already be covered by the recall so not all bad.
Hi wombles Thks for the info, wondering if you might know whether Fiat also use the ford engine 63 plate as when I had my service carried out by my local garage they said it was a Ford engine or any idea how I could find out
Thks

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hi wombles Thks for the info, wondering if you might know whether Fiat also use the ford engine 63 plate as when I had my service carried out by my local garage they said it was a Ford engine or any idea how I could find out
Thks
Sorry don't know if Fiat use the same engine so may be affected - Funster confirmed that their Citroen was http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...mp-may-affect-citroen-peugeot-engines.119871/ & seen info. on the web that Peugeot also affected but no confirmed cases on here yet. Can only suggest contacting a few Fiat dealerships (particularly those who do a lot of commercial vehicles) & Fiat main Customer Services who may be able to advise you?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I have written to Ford begging mercy as I do feel that this is an unreasonable failure to occur at what is for a transit van very low mileage.
Interesting to hear about your experience & hope you do get a positive response from Ford as this does sound like you may have a case. Please let us know on here how you get on as it may help others.

Oct 22, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
Further to my previous notes regarding the oil cooler failure I can now report a most satisfactory result. Ford have offered to grant me a sum in compensation within £50 of the original bill.
I have to say that the service I have received from the initial call for recovery the work at the dealer and the customer service contact was excellent throughout.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Exp
Several years now
Just had the MH at the Ford main dealers for the two year service. I again asked them to check that the oil pump did not need changing. Again the answer was NO. So I got them to include on the invoice in writing that they had checked and the oil pump did not need changing. So if it blows up, I can prove I did all I could.

Apr 30, 2014
Fife
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 2012
Had mine into the Ford dealer two weeks ago for its annual service and once again asked about the oil pump (van built 1/11/13). They checked on two different data bases and nothing there - no recall, but did get them to update Ford Assist when I was at the desk. The cost of the service was £125 which I suppose is reasonable for a main dealer

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
did get them to update Ford Assist when I was at the desk. The cost of the service was £125 which I suppose is reasonable for a main dealer
Sounds like a good deal especially with the Ford Assist European Recovery included (y) In our area we only managed to get the interim service down to £150 & that was after a lot of shopping around!

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Just had the MH at the Ford main dealers for the two year service. I again asked them to check that the oil pump did not need changing. Again the answer was NO. So I got them to include on the invoice in writing that they had checked and the oil pump did not need changing. So if it blows up, I can prove I did all I could.
Good idea to get it in writing as ours sounds about the same age & it did need doing!

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Further to my previous notes regarding the oil cooler failure I can now report a most satisfactory result. Ford have offered to grant me a sum in compensation within £50 of the original bill.
I have to say that the service I have received from the initial call for recovery the work at the dealer and the customer service contact was excellent throughout.
Thank you for letting us know & good to know you got it resolved :) Hopefully it may help someone else if in the same situation in the future.

Johnn5

Free Member
Mar 25, 2019
Funster No
Just had our oil pump replaced this morning plus a reduced cost minor service :) all taking around 3 hours. Ours is FWD but understand that it is a much bigger job if RWD as the sub frame has to be dropped :(
Apparently the problem with these has been evident for the last 18 months with priority high mileage customers being notified first - AA, RAC, fleet & commercial. The bad news is that the pumps being replaced shatter into pieces so likely that a new engine would be necessary so essential to respond to the recall! If the oil pump is not replaced once notified then uncertain if Ford would foot the bill. Worth considering a Transit Centre for this job as they have had a lot of experience in replacing these. This is the new shiny one:

View attachment 84023

Was there a parts number for the new pump And where did you get it from please

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Was there a parts number for the new pump And where did you get it from please
It was replaced as a recall by local Ford dealer workshop so free parts & labour & we no longer have that motorhome so don't have the paperwork. Worth contacting your local Ford dealer as they should be able to advise.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back