New Rapido 10000DFH, Alde Heating 3020/3010 Issues (1 Viewer)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Hi

Forgive my stupidityin advance but i am having some issues with my new Alde Heating System which is a 3020 and running from the new 3010 panel

My issues seems to be that i cannot get the heating to work on electric and gas, i have hot water and the radiator in the bathroom is working so i am assuming it is working to a degree. I can see that the electric icon is shown on the panel so i know electric is getting there. I have checked the fuses in the garage and all seem ok. There are no errors on the control panel either. If i select gas it also seems to be the same thing i.e. no heating coming out of the vents but no errors either.

my previous truma blown system was simple compared to this, i have 3kw selected on the panel as well the gas on as well with the elec taking priority. i cannot feel any heet on any of the air vents in the motorhome (is this normal with alde?) i have the 12v pump selected not the expansion one. if i select to blow air i can get air coming from the front under the the L shaped seat but not out of the silver vents or the air vents under the sink for instance.

I also cannot get the thermostat in the bedroom to come on (little light on it doesnt light up) even when up to max. I have set the temp to 24 degrees and it is only showing 14 degrees in the van. It must be something i am doing wrong somewhere.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Have you got the hot water set to ON,if you have this will stop the pump working? thats what happens on the older 3010 controls.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I have the new touch screen 3010 control panel. I think the heating is actually working but as I can now feel heat under the floor and by the drivers right side under the arm thingy where there is a radiator. It may just be me expecting it to be instant but the thermostat didn't change after 1 hour of being on. I did have the water on though so is this what's causing it? I.e you can't have both on together?

Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
You won't feel any warm air blowing from the Alde rads unlike the Truma system, apart perhaps from a booster fan beneath the drivers seat. It is a wet radiator system much the same as your home central heating.
It does take a while to heat the water and start to circulate.
However with the stat set to a much higher temp than ambient you should be feeling the warmth from around the rads.
There are two different temp settings, one for day and one for night, usually set lower. If your panel thinks it is night time it may have gone to a lower setting.
Have you checked that the clock is correct?
Do you have a moon or sun showing on the display to indicate daytime or night?
Is the pump circulating the water round the rads? Look at the small header tank and you should be able to see the water moving as it is pumped round, sometimes accompanied by a slight dripping/trickling sound.
Those are the only things that come to mind at the mo.

Richard.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
As you have hot water and the bathroom radiator warm it may be that the pump is not running. You should be able to hear it running if the system is trying to heat up.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Takes a good while for all the rads to get to the temp you have set it to...

As a quick way..... put temp up to MAX and put on gas and Elemtric 3kw if you can... (y)

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
I have the new touch screen 3010 control panel. I think the heating is actually working but as I can now feel heat under the floor and by the drivers right side under the arm thingy where there is a radiator. It may just be me expecting it to be instant but the thermostat didn't change after 1 hour of being on. I did have the water on though so is this what's causing it? I.e you can't have both on together?

Thanks

When the heating is on it also heats the water,the only difference between water and heating is that the pump is on for heating.

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
I think you'll find you need to leave the heating on in the summer or the water won't get hot, we leave ours at 5 degrees.
The wet heating takes a while to get up to temperature but once there it's far superior to blown air, you can also use the heat exchanger whilst driving so when you arrive the van's toasty warm.

Saw your van at Micks this week, looks great.(y)

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
I see you say you've selected the 12volt pump, do you mean the engine pre warmer? if so that will take some of the heat from the heating.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you've set the water to 60 it stops the heating working till the water gets to temp.
Ensure your pump is on.
It can be set to therm so it will be controlled by the thermostat.
The instructions arn't brilliant but I was lucky to have someone explain them to me.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I see you say you've selected the 12volt pump, do you mean the engine pre warmer? if so that will take some of the heat from the heating.
No idea to be honest, it only gives me an option of the 12v one or the external one, is there another i need to select?

I think you'll find you need to leave the heating on in the summer or the water won't get hot, we leave ours at 5 degrees.
The wet heating takes a while to get up to temperature but once there it's far superior to blown air, you can also use the heat exchanger whilst driving so when you arrive the van's toasty warm.

I picked it up Friday, didn't think he would be working on BH Friday but he was which was good for me :). He has done a fantastic job as always, had some leaking oil from it but he talked me through tightning a nut which solved the issue.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
If you've set the water to 60 it stops the heating working till the water gets to temp.
Ensure your pump is on.
It can be set to therm so it will be controlled by the thermostat.
The instructions arn't brilliant but I was lucky to have someone explain them to me.
they did take me through it at the dealers but couldnt of took it in as just before had some bad news (family bereavment). I should of recorded it but forgot that as well. I thought i could just sort it out to be fair.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
You won't feel any warm air blowing from the Alde rads unlike the Truma system, apart perhaps from a booster fan beneath the drivers seat. It is a wet radiator system much the same as your home central heating.
It does take a while to heat the water and start to circulate.
However with the stat set to a much higher temp than ambient you should be feeling the warmth from around the rads.
There are two different temp settings, one for day and one for night, usually set lower. If your panel thinks it is night time it may have gone to a lower setting.
Have you checked that the clock is correct?
Do you have a moon or sun showing on the display to indicate daytime or night?
Is the pump circulating the water round the rads? Look at the small header tank and you should be able to see the water moving as it is pumped round, sometimes accompanied by a slight dripping/trickling sound.
Those are the only things that come to mind at the mo.

Richard.
I checked the clock but i could not see where to set it on the 3010 control panel, it is set correctly on the panel next to it that controls the lights/water etc.
There was no moon or sun on the display.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013

Whats the heat exhanger? where is this controlled from? all a learning curve at the moment.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @zac as Paul @pandj said nice van(y) we were there as well and saw ZAC on the reg plate and the funsters sticker so put two and two together.

I think Mick was working the Bank Holiday because a few jobs in a row overran their allotted time (our by at least a day) but true to form he battles on and burns some midnight oil.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Whats the heat exhanger? where is this controlled from? all a learning curve at the moment.
The heat exchanger is a plate to plate heat exchanger that draws heat from the engine cooling fluid while you are driving and transfers this to the Alde heating system warming the whole van and the water while you travel, it is an option with the Alde system so worth seeing if you have it first. To operate it requires the circulation pump to be on and the thermostat to be calling for heat on our older mechanical controller it is dead easy but not sure about the newer ones.

The engine warmer that @pandj refers to is essentially the engine heat exchanger described above but working the other way so when you have heat in the heating system and a very cold morning you can turn on an electric 12v pump and circulate the engine cooling water through the heat exchanger and warm up the engine before starting.

Martin

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Hi @zac as Paul @pandj said nice van(y) we were there as well and saw ZAC on the reg plate and the funsters sticker so put two and two together.

I think Mick was working the Bank Holiday because a few jobs in a row overran their allotted time (our by at least a day) but true to form he battles on and burn some midnight oil.

Martin
the pickup of the new MH was all done in a bit of a rush as originally we were booked to stay over for a couple of nights at the dealers to ensure no issues, but as we set off my wife had a call and we had to turn around and head home so she could make her way down to the IOW as her mum was taken into hospital and subsequently she passed the next day. I didnt want to carry on up to get the MH but she insisted but it was a case of get there change over and head to doncaster to drop it off at Micks before heading back and joining her. It was all a bit of a blur now i look back, we are just getting it sorted now as everything was just dumped in the back garage. I only really saw it properly when i went to get it from Micks, this weekend has been trying to sort it all out as later in the week we are heading to tanton to get the rest of the stuff sorted (Alarm/Solar/Invertor etc).

one thing that has been knocked into us again due to her mum passing is live life for today as tomorrow may never happen, which we fully intend to do.

Thanks for the advice on the alde, it has certainly helped.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The heat exchanger is a plate to plate heat exchanger that draws heat from the engine cooling fluid while you are driving and transfers this to the Alde heating system warming the whole van and the water while you travel, it is an option with the Alde system so worth seeing if you have it first. To operate it requires the circulation pump to be on and the thermostat to be calling for heat on our older mechanical controller it is dead easy but not sure about the newer ones.

Martin
I do remember being told it was there, just need to find out how to turn it on now :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
the pickup of the new MH was all done in a bit of a rush as originally we were booked to stay over for a couple of nights at the dealers to ensure no issues, but as we set off my wife had a call and we had to turn around and head home so she could make her way down to the IOW as her mum was taken into hospital and subsequently she passed the next day. I didnt want to carry on up to get the MH but she insisted but it was a case of get there change over and head to doncaster to drop it off at Micks before heading back and joining her. It was all a bit of a blur now i look back, we are just getting it sorted now as everything was just dumped in the back garage. I only really saw it properly when i went to get it from Micks, this weekend has been trying to sort it all out as later in the week we are heading to tanton to get the rest of the stuff sorted (Alarm/Solar/Invertor etc).

one thing that has been knocked into us again due to her mum passing is live life for today as tomorrow may never happen, which we fully intend to do.

Thanks for the advice on the alde, it has certainly helped.
Sorry about MIL but as you say these life events should teach us one thing and that is that we only get on chance.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I do remember being told it was there, just need to find out how to turn it on now :)
On the older system it was as simple as turning the pump on controlled by the thermostat but not turning on the 240 or gas to the Alde boiler, our heat exchanger has a valve to turn it to summer mode but you might not have this or you might have a switch to operate a solenoid so a little bit of reading and rummaging in lockers might be the order of the day.

Martin

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
i have a knob to the right of the steering wheel which may be related as it has a red line on which looks to be temp related, need to get the manuals out again.

Last edited:

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
ours is below the Alde controller (middle switch)
20170416_181520.jpg

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I am sure the control panel only gives me 2 options, 1 is 12v and the other is the external pump (forget the exact name), should i have another option as i did reset the system and it said enable what accessories you have which i dont know i have any of course :)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
@zac is the gas indicator showing blue or green on the control panel ? also is the switch on at the wall ,have you got gas coming through at the cooker ?

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
@zac is the gas indicator showing blue or green on the control panel ? also is the switch on at the wall ,have you got gas coming through at the cooker ?
Hi, the gas was showing blue as i turned it off and the light is on by the cooker as the hobs work ok. I have also tried it with the gas on i.e. green. I think it is working but it is very very slow to heat up. On yours do you have any other option on the pump aside from the 12v and the external one? i am thinking i may need to select an additional option on the install screen which has now gone after the reset.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
The is a further option on the pump ,you have to go into the square controller and go down a level and you will find a setting for the pump speed ,having the gas at green is correct ,also the shower indicator if you hit the plus sighn for that ,that deals with the hot water

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
The is a further option on the pump ,you have to go into the square controller and go down a level and you will find a setting for the pump speed ,having the gas at green is correct ,also the shower indicator if you hit the plus sighn for that ,that deals with the hot water
I have hot water so i know thats ok, i am assuming if i have selected 3kw on electric i dont need the gas set to on, is this correct?

I will have a look for the other setting you mentioned.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
It does take a while to warm up , if i think im going to need heating whilst i drive i turn the heat exchanger on ,the control is at the side of the steering column ,there is also a fan unit under the seat next to the galley ,thats the booster unit and can be turned on from the square panel

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I believe there are four pump option with the Alde 12v that sits in the top of the expansion tank (might be older systems only) 12v fixed speed 12v adjustable speed and 240v but I believe the latter would be quite unlikely. The two 12v options that are not in the header tank will be near the Alde boiler and the adjustable one has a blue band on it so you can identify what you have.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back