New PVC (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Picked up our new PVC today. We have downsized from a Coachbuilt as Mrs Maison didn’t like driving the bigger vehicle and I sometimes have a medical problem that prevents me driving for a few days.

Love the PVC but I have two questions........

1. Where the hell do we store everything?

2. Who designs a motorhome without a special place to carry wine and spirit bottles?

Has the world gone mad?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Congratulations and I’m sure you will find space !!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Anthea M
I’m sure we will.:)

The way Mrs Maison packs things away I’m sure that if she had married Noah they would have managed to get the Unicorns onto the Ark somehow!(y)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
@Anthea M
I’m sure we will.:)

The way Mrs Maison packs things away I’m sure that if she had married Noah they would have managed to get the Unicorns onto the Ark somehow!(y)
Has she driven the new van yet and enjoyed it?

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Has she driven the new van yet and enjoyed it?
Yes, she drove it for a few miles on the way home.

No problem for her I’m glad to say.(y)

She used to drive our coachbuilt in years gone by but, after returning to motorhoming after an 8 year absence she had lost a bit of confidence, so I have been doing all the driving for the last 5 years.

We intend to do a long tour through France and Spain early in 2018 so it will give me a break occasionally, although I like driving.

On Saturday next we will give the new PVC its first real trial with a trip to Bruges, Ghent and some of the WW1 Battlefields. (If we can fit everything in that we need).:)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
So glad Mrs Maison likes driving it Enjoy your Belgium trip!
Chocolate , beer and thrice cooked chips !!! What’s not to like?!

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We don’t have much storage space in our van either, but it does have a storage area specifically for holding booze, we can get quite a bit in there. It even has a special bowl shaped container for putting iced water in for cooling wine and beer.

There is a slight issue in that there’s a sort of seat thing in there, and a hose from which hot water comes when you turn on a tap, no idea what they are for or why some fool thought it would be a good idea to put them in the booze storage area!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Picked up our new PVC today. We have downsized from a Coachbuilt as Mrs Maison didn’t like driving the bigger vehicle and I sometimes have a medical problem that prevents me driving for a few days.

Love the PVC but I have two questions........

1. Where the hell do we store everything?

2. Who designs a motorhome without a special place to carry wine and spirit bottles?

Has the world gone mad?
What PVC have you bought? And how long is it?

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Swift Select 144 @ 6metres long.

Bought both the Driver’s Pack and the “Lux” Pack so it has all the bells and whistles and drives like a dream but the reduced storage compared to the coachbuilt is going to take some sorting out.(n)

We’ll get there, we always do!:)

Looking forward to our first trip next week.(y)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

Bought both the Driver’s Pack and the “Lux” Pack so it has all the bells and whistles and drives like a dream but the reduced storage compared to the coachbuilt is going to take some sorting out.(n)

Nice one! (y)

We changed from a coachbuilt to a PVC last year. As it happens, ours is a 6.36m (Rapido V68), which is longer than our 6m coachbuilt, but still a bit less storage. Nonetheless, we manage fine - just need to be more careful about how much stuff we carry around.

The driving experience has been transformational!

Enjoy yours...

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@mikebeaches
Switching m/h has allowed us to totally empty the coachbuilt and find all the duplicated items we didn’t know we had.

We must have “lost” things temporarily and bought new ones!

Started loading the PVC today and, by tomorrow evening, there may be a spike in eBay sales of surplus equipment.:whistle:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We downsized from a coach built to a 6.3metre Globecar Campscout which is our 6th motorhome in 12 years, we’ve got more storage in this PVC than any of the other vans we owned.

John.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Congrats and enjoy your new PVC
Brian & Jo

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Congratulations Maison on getting your new Swift PVC, I sincerely meant that, as our 2017 Bolero order was cancelled due to so many failed delivery/construction dates, and many other things too.
You have now addressed your main concern in that Mrs Maison can now chauffeur you all around Europe, you can just put your feet up on the dash now, like many female passengers seem to like doing on long runs.:D
As for booze storage, it was suggested to me by a fellow Swift PVC owner, that I should join French Passion immediately, and having stayed on a few French Vineyards, and selected our favourite wine, Red or White......Fill up the fresh water tank just before returning home via Dover :LOL:
Enjoy!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

We had a 2012 Autocruise Accent which was basically the same PVC as you've bought, under the rear seats there should be raised floors with a lift out panel and underneath there is a lot more storage ... go and have a good rummage around! In our Accent we used to leave the bed made up and in the centre lower section (with the flap) our 2 inflatable canoes and all the kit (except paddles) went in there and above we had 2 folding 20" bikes ... it's surprise how much it will actually swallow up.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We had a 2012 Autocruise Accent which was basically the same PVC as you've bought, under the rear seats there should be raised floors with a lift out panel and underneath there is a lot more storage ... go and have a good rummage around! In our Accent we used to leave the bed made up and in the centre lower section (with the flap) our 2 inflatable canoes and all the kit (except paddles) went in there and above we had 2 folding 20" bikes ... it's surprise how much it will actually swallow up.

Yes, that's impressive, but you haven't told us where you stored your wine and spirits!:cautious:

Or do you drink-as-you-go and buy only the booze you need for each day?

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks.(y)

Yes we were shown those but probably not the most convenient position for storage if you are leaving the bed made up. The bed boxes would be easier to access via the drop down doors if the bed was not in place.

The underfloor will take our folding chairs etc, so that’s a definite bonus.

Never mind. It will be fine once we sort the essentials from the “nice to have”. Will get on with the sort out today.:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks.(y)

Yes we were shown those but probably not the most convenient position for storage if you are leaving the bed made up. The bed boxes would be easier to access via the drop down doors if the bed was not in place.
We used to put stuff under there that we didn't need access to often, like spare bedding, towels, clothes, dog food (3 x dogs eat a LOT of dog food and can be picky eaters!), electrical bits and bobs which only occasionally got used.

In the washroom I had some small drawer units for stuff as the cupboard didn't take much, these were easily moved out to shower but didn't prevent the toilet being used. The external screen covers were kept in a large 'laundry bin' under the table, again they didn't stop the table/seats being used at all. I shelved out the wardrobe above the fridge and used it as a larder and hung stuff on the back of doors (dish drainer etc) and used small plastic bins to put bits and bobs in near the sink etc.
11 - Washroom units.JPG
15 - Royal storage bin.JPG

8 - Wardrobe shelves.JPG
10 - Wardrobe door.JPG
12 - TV cupboard shelf.JPG
caddy shelf.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes, that's impressive, but you haven't told us where you stored your wine and spirits!:cautious:

Or do you drink-as-you-go and buy only the booze you need for each day?
Behind the bin was a hidden storage area as well as one above too ... perfect for bottles.

USE BIG kitchen l.jpg

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988

Those Continentals have their priorities right!:wine:

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Ours has got those curved front top lockers which you can't really shelve-out. We have 2 seats in the rear lounge between which we can store stuff, I've fitted a slide-out shutter to stop things sliding forward, and the front lounge table gets filled underneath with wine boxes etc which are bought on the return journey. You can't get your legs under the table but I figure it's a reasonable sacrifice to make for a short time!

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
When we downsized from a Flair to a 6.4 PVC we just stored the basic needs. We have never missed all the other superfluous stuff.
I think we will be the same.

Took us a while today but a lot more went in there than we expected. We don’t like clutter when on long trips so we prefer to keep as much as possible out of sight.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I think we will be the same.

Took us a while today but a lot more went in there than we expected. We don’t like clutter when on long trips so we prefer to keep as much as possible out of sight.
Tool box folding chairs gaffa tape minimum clothes and shoes essential food stuff. That's about it.
Phil

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We downsized from a Rapido 7090 to a PVC, an Autosleeper Warwick XL. The PVC is much more relaxing to drive on some of the smaller roads that we like going on. We have much less space now but more weight! Our rapido was plated at 3.5 but we discovered that it was very nearly that unladen! So now we manage with the reduced space and don't need to worry about the weight. Had it 3 and a half years now, the longest we have ever owned a motorhome. Its taken us to France several times, Spain, Croatia, Ireland, Romania, Orkney etc. We wouldn't go back despite the reduced space.

So Enjoy It!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back