New Peugeot Ignition Key Needed (1 Viewer)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
A very expensive kayak training session turned out to be last night, after practicing capsize and re-entry drills at Seaham.

Returned to the van, pulled my trusted Aquapac out, to find it had flooded. My remote key fob looked like one of those fairground goldfish, swimming around in a little plastic bag :LOL:

As expected, it was as dead as a Dodo and even after getting a lift to a nearby shop to buy a new battery, it wouldn't start the van. Fortunately, the Meta alarm fob supplied by @eddievanbitz was quite content under water, otherwise it would have been even more expensive.

One of the lads kindly ran me home, a round trip of over 50 miles, for my spare key and the drowned one is spending a couple of days in emergency care, drying out in my airing cupboard, in a last ditch effort to revive it, but I fear a new key will be needed, which I'm not expecting to be cheap.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Suggest to open it up , take the batteries out (which you have probably done already ) and spray with an electrical cleaner / water dispersant spray .. that should do the trick ..

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
And they do say to place in a bag of rice; not tried it myself but plenty of info on google and worth a try(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Surprised the key wouldn't start the van. The immobiliser chip (in the key fob) works by proximity and is not connected to the battery - or so i thought. The battery just operates the central locking remote. Curious.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Surprised the key wouldn't start the van. The immobiliser chip (in the key fob) works by proximity and is not connected to the battery - or so i thought. The battery just operates the central locking remote. Curious.
Until last night that was my understanding too. Hopefully someone 'in the know' will be able to explain it.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Thats a bummer ken.. but glad you got sorted..
Can you get an ordinary key cut... that would allow you entry into your van and carry that seperately with the alarm phob when you go out..
Leave the chipped key and remote in the van when you go out....if you follow me..
Thats what i do now... so that the van is locked and alarmed but i have a habitation key and alarm fob with me in the aqua pack...
Andy.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Cheers Andy and yes, for the future I was planning on taking a 'non fob' key out on the water.

I'm not sure if it's part of my insurance policy, or if I read it on the forum, but leaving a set of keys in the van could be a problem, if the worst happened ie. insurer asking for both sets of keys before settling a loss claim ?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My Safeguard insurance specifically excludes leaving an engine starting key or card on the motorhome unless kept in a fixed locked safe.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
A very expensive kayak training session turned out to be last night, after practicing capsize and re-entry drills at Seaham.

Returned to the van, pulled my trusted Aquapac out, to find it had flooded. My remote key fob looked like one of those fairground goldfish, swimming around in a little plastic bag :LOL:

As expected, it was as dead as a Dodo and even after getting a lift to a nearby shop to buy a new battery, it wouldn't start the van. Fortunately, the Meta alarm fob supplied by @eddievanbitz was quite content under water, otherwise it would have been even more expensive.

One of the lads kindly ran me home, a round trip of over 50 miles, for my spare key and the drowned one is spending a couple of days in emergency care, drying out in my airing cupboard, in a last ditch effort to revive it, but I fear a new key will be needed, which I'm not expecting to be cheap.
We did say originally that they were waterproof, till some one took one diving

20 odd minutes at 25 metres sorted that claim “you said they were waterproof!”

So officially the are “Weatherproof” (but quite waterproof;))

It’s unlikey you have damaged the immobilisation function, but the central locking is in the hands of the Gods

This is exactly the scenario we talk about in our “Non Starter” information, do we?/don’t we? keep spare keys in the van?

Personally I do when I am away as with the Growler alarm and the Non StarterMT installed, human stupidity (me loosing something) is a much more likely problem than vehicle theft from a random location

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Hmm never crossed my mind... but ive got the non start facility as well as the growler... i thought you did as well..
Andy.
I have Andy and I know it's a very remote chance, but you know my background and I have received crime bulletins in the past, where commercial vans have been dragged on to flat beds in the past.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
It’s unlikey you have damaged the immobilisation function, but the central locking is in the hands of the Gods....

I knew straightaway that the central locking side was goosed, but after opening the door manually, I was very surprised that the key transponder wasn't recognised and couldn't start the engine.
Starter motor was turning over fine, so I knew it wasn't 'none start' related.

As soon as I used the spare key, it fired up immediately.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
IMV it is never wise to leave a set of door/ignition keys in your camper/MH ... I doubt if your insurance company would be happy with you doing so if it gets nicked.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I knew straightaway that the central locking side was goosed, but after opening the door manually, I was very surprised that the key transponder wasn't recognised and couldn't start the engine.
Starter motor was turning over fine, so I knew it wasn't 'none start' related.

As soon as I used the spare key, it fired up immediately.
Bummer:cry:

Timpsons it is then(y)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have Andy and I know it's a very remote chance, but you know my background and I have received crime bulletins in the past, where commercial vans have been dragged on to flat beds in the past.
My insurance policy is not very specific about “a fixed locked safe.” Perhaps a fixed key safe would be all that is needed to keep them happy.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I wonder if the salt? water is affecting the signal? The transponder in the key is inert. It needs to receive sufficient signal from the van to energise it so that it can send a response. Might be that the water is affecting the signal. It's not that strong anyway for obvious reasons.

Might work again once it's dried out. Trouble is if the remote's been in sea water, I'd want to rinse it in pure water first before trying to dry it. Salt in the water shouldn't affect the transponder long term, but it could cause havoc with the remote part of the fob.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I wonder if the salt? water is affecting the signal? The transponder in the key is inert. It needs to receive sufficient signal from the van to energise it so that it can send a response. Might be that the water is affecting the signal. It's not that strong anyway for obvious reasons.

Might work again once it's dried out. Trouble is if the remote's been in sea water, I'd want to rinse it in pure water first before trying to dry it. Salt in the water shouldn't affect the transponder long term, but it could cause havoc with the remote part of the fob.
That makes sense regarding the transponder and the fob was rinsed under the tap as soon as I got home, followed by a liberal spraying of WD40. I'll probably leave it until tomorrow and try a new battery for the central locking, as well as trying to start the van with it.

Floydster

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2013
Where ever I lay my hat
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A lifetime
I took mine swimming in the sea last year:whistle:
I dismantled it and let it dry out in the sun and luckily it survived(y)

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Well, after an anxious wait, I'm pleased to say that my key fob has this morning been released from intensive care and appears to have made a full recovery, retaining functionality on both central locking and engine starting :D

A fresh water rinse, followed by a WD40 shower, then a rest up in a warm airing cupboard, covered in dried rice has done the trick.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Might be worth looking inside it and giving it a squirt with some water dispersant spray to ensure any small bits of moisture are got rid of so they don't start to rust the inner.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
I have just had to replace my Renault car key (card type) at a cost of 240€ - about £200 - after the old one went for a swim in the washing machine. Big OUCH

J

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back