New parking place for a motorhome (1 Viewer)

Oct 16, 2016
Birmingahm
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
We applied for a drop kirb extention a few years back and a council officer came to to check the property, included in that check was the surface which I had made to park, at the time, an old Landrover. This was because I had ticked a box on the application that said the surface was basically permeable. I had a hard core sub base and a 20mm gravel topping.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 13, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115 Vogue
Exp
Since 2010
Gravel for us with 4 thick concrete flags for the wheels to sit on. Use larger sized gravel to keep it out of the tyre treads.
20190225_161725.jpg

OP
OP
knickam

knickam

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 5, 2020
Fraserburgh, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
2 years
Maybe you could use gravel large enough not to be picked up by the tyre treads ?
Ask the quarry if they deliver direct to avoid the middle man ££££££ increase ?

Will be getting 30mm crushed granite from a local quarry.

Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
Strips 2’ wide and 10” deep sorted me out. Filled everything else with slate chips. 4 ton van - tidy!! Used to be the wife’s flower garden 🤔

Attachments

• E3DA70C6-3823-4162-98B0-746809E44950.jpeg
    E3DA70C6-3823-4162-98B0-746809E44950.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 55
Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Going to be reclaiming part of the front lawn for a new parking spot for a 3.5t motorhome.
Just looking for thought's on which method people would recommend.

The options I am considering are,

1. Concrete slab with gravel surround
2. Concrete strips to drive onto surrounded by gravel
3. Gravel

Drainage is not a problem for a concrete slab.
Hi our soloution was to mark out an area with edging. concrete in four heavy duty slabs in the exact position of the wheels, and then cover the area around with slate chipping. This meets with council approval to allow drainage. A concrete slab of that size would not meet drainage regs. Plus the slate looks nicer than concrete.
P1040325.JPG

Gixer

Free Member
Dec 16, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
2018 Chausson EB
Exp
None
Hi our soloution was to mark out an area with edging. concrete in four heavy duty slabs in the exact position of the wheels, and then cover the area around with slate chipping. This meets with council approval to allow drainage. A concrete slab of that size would not meet drainage regs. Plus the slate looks nicer than concrete.View attachment 418540
Have you got details on the slabs as this looks ideal for me, thanks

Gillygrim

Free Member
Apr 24, 2016
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534
Exp
Since 2005
My partner is a retired (Marine) Engineer. When we replaced our small camper van with our first coach built in 2006 we decided to lose a couple of feet from the back garden and extend the rear entry hardstanding. Plans were drawn up, trees cut down and shredded for compost, existing hardstanding broken up and piled up on the lawn. Conduit was laid to take power to the proposed slab which was divided into four squares by means of planks. A 6 inch edge all round was allowed and eventually filled with membrane and gravel for drainage. We then sat on small stools with an anvil and heavy mallet each and broke up the old hardstanding into lumps approx 5/8 inch diameter. (Yes, he measured). This was used as hardcore, followed by sharp sand, into which 'chairs' were placed to support the Rebar, after which we borrowed a concrete mixer (my suggestion for Readymix was dismissed out of hand) and made countless tons of the stuff which eventually became a flat area you could land a Jumbo jet on. 14 years later it is as solid as the day it was finished and something I now regard as a fond memory........ Would I attempt anything similar again? NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS.

Apr 12, 2020
South Lincs....
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7095DF
Exp
20+ years. Previously Hymer B654 and Hymer S660 both c/w tow-bars.
Don't see that being a problem as I was allowed to lay over 150m2 of tarmac when I built the house.
i don’t know the situation regarding residential properties but it can certainly be an issue with commercial. 15 years ago I had a yard for storage and part Of my PP was that 8 kept the surface ‘porous’.
I would ask the question to be safe!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back