New owner (1 Viewer)

Gaz13

Free Member
Aug 10, 2018
Funster No
Hi, I’m new to Motorhome as I’m a ver,ver,very recent convert from caravans. I’m waiting to take delivery of a 2018 Swift Bessacar 574 4 seats. Having read a number of different website/ forums etc I am starting to be a bit concerned because of some issues that have been raised ref the difficulty of the almost 2.5mtr overhang at the back of the Bessacar. Has anyone here any experience of taking one of these(or similar) on ferries and through narrow lanes etc.
Any info would be very much appreciated, before I actually sign my life away and possibly regret it. Thanks in anticipation,!

OP
OP
Gaz13

Gaz13

Free Member
Aug 10, 2018
Funster No
Thanks, I think I’ll be ok on general driving, it’s more ramps up to ferries etc ( risk on rear end bottoming out) due to long rear end overhang.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
:hiya2: And :pink: don’t worry too much about your overhang you will get used it but you will need to keep a close eye on it when turning and be prepared to stop if you have to, good luck (y)

OP
OP
Gaz13

Gaz13

Free Member
Aug 10, 2018
Funster No
Howard thanks for the welcome and for the info. I’m sure it will be ok ( it will have to be) I’m committed now, just a bit nervous

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Howard thanks for the welcome and for the info. I’m sure it will be ok ( it will have to be) I’m committed now, just a bit nervous
Don’t worry Gaz and if this makes sense you need to watch the swing as much as you do going forwards when turning but soon it will become second nature and you will know if you can get round the turn or not . Don’t let other traffic bully you into turning until you are sure you can without doing any damage .

OP
OP
Gaz13

Gaz13

Free Member
Aug 10, 2018
Funster No
Thanks, any advice as to ferry ramps etc would be appreciated from someone with your experience.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think as others have said you will need to watch the back as you turn as much as worry about ramps etc. As you turn to the right the back end will swing out to the left at first especially if turning tight probably by a fair bit (same to the left). If you have someone down your left hand side when you turn right it would be easy or the back end to swipe them. But as others have said you will get used to it its just better and cheaper to learn from others mistakes than make your own.
Whatever you get have a great time!!

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Thanks, any advice as to ferry ramps etc would be appreciated from someone with your experience.
When we first started using the ferry’s I thought we might ground out but to be fair that has not happened yet maybe on the smaller island ferry’s but not happened yet on the cross channel and Spain to uk ferry’s ,if you are in any doubt tell the loading staff they are very good and will look after you . Just don’t stress enjoy your van (y)

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Agree with Howard, if you're unsure just ask the loading crew, they know all about it. Sometimes it's possible to approach at an angle so that the wheels go on one at a time which can help.

As a rough guide as long as you don't overload it, the van will probably sit a little nose down - if it's tail down there's something not right and should be checked out.

Oh yes :welcome4:

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Just be careful when going from a down hill road to a flat road.also the other way around.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

Wyn