New owner...Truma Winter advice please. (1 Viewer)

MrPG

Free Member
Dec 9, 2017
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Amudsen
Morning all.
First post but I’ve been lurking a while and picking up as much valuable advice as possible from the forum. I have a question about the Truma and winter prep.
Picked up our new Westfailia Amundsen up two weeks ago from the dealer and had what I thought was a comprehensive handover. Stayed local to the dealer for the first night then drove to Taunton to have a Strikeback and Tracker fitted. Great service from the team at Vanbitz. On to Devon for a few days before returning home and putting the van in storage. Prior to leaving the Devon site emptied the fresh and grey water. In all of the excitement I didn't get to the page in the owners manual about opening the taps and and shower head, draining the lines and draining the Water heater...
So what should I do now the weather has already turned? Do I have anything to lose/gain by opening the taps now? Do I hope the the Truma frost control valve has done it’s job? Do I just leave well alone and hope all is well and lesson learnt?Interestingly the Westfalia operating manual doesn't mention anything about draining the heater in the winterise chapter..

Thanks, Paul.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You may be too late but it's possibly worth doing it anyway, but do it NOW. It takes a little while even at sub-zero temperatures for a tankful of water to freeze.

You should be able to dump the boiler manually if the auto valve doesn't work, assuming it hasn't already frozen. Other than that you're probably going to have to wait to see what/if any damage has been done. There is another thread running on this subject with quite a lot of comments.

Good luck.

Oh yes :welcome4:

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Draining the fresh tank does not drain the boiler because there’s a non-return valve in the way. The auto-dump valve should’ve done its job but I’d go check. You cannot be too careful and it is going to be very cold, possibly for a while, so it’s not worth the risk.

Take any bottled substances out of the van that might freeze while you’re at it. If the container fractures, you’ll have a mess when it thaws again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MrPG

MrPG

Free Member
Dec 9, 2017
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Amudsen
C4A1C189-AD70-41A2-89CC-BF1BE001BF46.jpeg Many thanks, just back from the van and I’m hoping the valve has done it's job. Does this look like the open position?

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Open all taps then any water left to freeze can expand without splitting anything.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
View attachment 216056 Many thanks, just back from the van and I’m hoping the valve has done it's job. Does this look like the open position?
Looks like it.
You press the blue knob back in again to reset it. But the ambient temp needs to be greater than 4C when you do.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes, let it do its job not like a someone I knew when we first started motorhoming who said''When you get experienced you will learn little tips like putting a peg on the valve to stop it draining'' and then required a new boiler when it froze solid one winter.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
I am currently in Florida in a nice 27deg heat today. Came on Monday so I really timed it well. My motorhome was left with all blinds and curtains closed and water pump off with taps open to drop the pressure. I also left the Truma heating on at 10deg to keep everything just away from freezing conditions. Hoping that will have looked after it by the time I return on Thursday. Figured it was a bit of a gamble leaving it on but then people full time in these things over winter without any issue and it’s a 2015 model so not exactly old kit.

Fingers crossed.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Sounds like you are in the best place at the minute David, enjoy Florida.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
you get experienced you will learn little tips like putting a peg on the valve to stop it draining'' and then required a new boiler when it froze solid one winter.

yes, and it's still being posted like it was Gospel..

whoever though that overriding a frost precaution valve was a good idea needs their head examined.. and a the bill for the new boilers

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
whoever though that overriding a frost precaution valve was a good idea needs their head examined.

Its a great idea, when the vans occupied, I've over ridden it in that way for many years with no ill effect. That they rig it so that a cool spring morning is enough to dump your water is stupid. As is forgetting to remove the peg when its going to freeze. :D

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Its a great idea, when the vans occupied, I've over ridden it in that way for many years with no ill effect. That they rig it so that a cool spring morning is enough to dump your water is stupid. As is forgetting to remove the peg when its going to freeze. :D
It's safer to simply leave the boiler on?

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

most of us who own a motorhome will be forgetful.. it's an age thing :(

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It's safer to simply leave the boiler on?

What if you get to a certain age and forget to turn it on :D.

Next thing you know midsummers day in Wales a cool morning and everyone thinks the old boys had an accident:D

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I dont have an automatic dump valve, but ive read enough to know they can be a right pain for folk and can well understsnd why they will find a way to override them..
Ive gor a 2016 van ..its got a manual dump valve... whats the difference between that and disabling an automatic valve... both ammount to the owner having to remember to sort it when required..
Andy.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I dont have an automatic dump valve, but ive read enough to know they can be a right pain for folk and can well understsnd why they will find a way to override them..

can only override the older models with the red peg on top..

I believe later models are tamper proof .. for that read OAP proof

You have the youth model ;)

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
can only override the older models with the red peg on top..

I believe later models are tamper proof .. for that read OAP proof

You have the youth model ;)

Im only going by what ive read jim.. and i believe some set ups can drain down the fw tank when they operate adding to the inconvenience..
Again from reading only as ive never had an auto dump valve to contend with.... the electrically operated ones could be overridden with a peg or tape..
The later ones are i believe mechanical... but can still be disabled.. and reverted to manual operation but it involves dismantling the valve to modify it..
I may have the youth model but that not really appropriate in my case.:D
Andy.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You lot have got me all worried now. Manual dump valve on our Bolero and I'm absolutely positive I opened it when I put the van back into storage a day before the "Beast" hit us.

But I was in a bit of a rush...............:unsure:

Think a trip up to the storage yard is in order now that the snow has (mostly) gone.:pray:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back