Free Member
Jul 10, 2012
norfolk
Funster No
MH
ducato compass
Exp
i,me a newbie
Ok I feel so stupid about this , i am probably not the first one to do this , but I recently could not resist buying a fiat ducato compass 1.9 turbo 1992 , ok it cost around 5,000 and so far i.ve spent 300 on a new batery new radiator and service parts , but the BIG MISTAKE WAS TO PUT £20 POUNDS WORTH OF DIESEL IN THE WATER TANK !!! . Shame on me should of had my specs on , but could someone tell me if i have to exchange the tank and pipes to the outside of van , i have not pumped the liquid round yet ! has anyone got some good advice for me ! ok i know i should of had specs on ! thanks dave

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi and welcome to fun.

you are not the first nor will you be the last to have this accident.
someone will be along to advise shortly.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Who's a silly boy then !

The answer is already here somewhere, not easy but many flushes of detergent I think, much easier if you haven't run a tap and got in the pipes as well.

Use the search facility, it might take a bit of looking but it's here somewhere.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Ok I feel so stupid about this , i am probably not the first one to do this , but I recently could not resist buying a fiat ducato compass 1.9 turbo 1992 , ok it cost around 5,000 and so far i.ve spent 300 on a new batery new radiator and service parts , but the BIG MISTAKE WAS TO PUT £20 POUNDS WORTH OF DIESEL IN THE WATER TANK !!! . Shame on me should of had my specs on , but could someone tell me if i have to exchange the tank and pipes to the outside of van , i have not pumped the liquid round yet ! has anyone got some good advice for me ! ok i know i should of had specs on ! thanks dave

Dave, have a word with Jim..(Scot jimland) on here..he did work in the food industry, he may be able to help you get rid of the taste and smell of Diesel out of your fresh water tank:thumb:...Good luck

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Dave, me, I would empty it out, contiunally flush it through with the clean tank type stuff you get for water tanks.

I never ever drink out of mine anyway and have bottled water, even the dog does.

Sorry about your mishap, but it has made me giggle, :Doh:

Never heard that one before.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
having said all that though and you may be able to flush it but as its an older tank you may benefit from a replacement.

OP
OP
D

daveshott

Free Member
Jul 10, 2012
norfolk
Funster No
MH
ducato compass
Exp
i,me a newbie
water taank

yes i was guided by the auction centre , but without specs i kind of guessed ! worse thing happen at sea heh :Doh:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well "Daveshott" that takes some balls to come on here and admit to a cock - up of those dimensions.

I watch customers switch Diesel and Petrol every week on our forecourt but I've never seen Diesel in the water tank.

As a matter of interest, I serviced my Ducato before I set off to Garda and found some a**hole had put screen-wash and water in the PAS reservoir. They are only inches apart but not advisable. I had to carry out multiple flushes before I got shot of the water.

Welcome Dave, you'll feel right at home here where there are more nutters per capita than any other site on this interwebbynet thingy....Griff...:thumb:

OP
OP
D

daveshott

Free Member
Jul 10, 2012
norfolk
Funster No
MH
ducato compass
Exp
i,me a newbie
water tank

Hi thanks for your comment i know it was a silly thing to do , but heh wont do it again ever , easy job fitting a new rad , and runs well first outing for us will be end of july with a bit of luck

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As already mentioned, use detergent, this will break down the diesel, but it is a long slow process..

Fill it with hot water and detergent and allow it to soak overnight then empty and repeat. If the tank can be agitated that would help or a brush on a bendy stick is a possibility. Then flush it through with lots of hot water until completely clear of detergent. The flush may have to be repeated many times.

Finally fill with fresh cold water and a big dose of bicarbonate of soda.. leave overnight then flush with fresh water.. this should remove the taint ..

I have also heard that using concentrated orange juice in the final flush will also help remove taint ..

good luck

OP
OP
D

daveshott

Free Member
Jul 10, 2012
norfolk
Funster No
MH
ducato compass
Exp
i,me a newbie
tank

thanks jim will try this , I may be able to get hold of a 2nd hand tank too , but its a bt of a nightmare ! thanks again

dave

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi Dave,
do not worry mate.. you aint the 1st and wont be th elast.. And it is not as if it is the end of the world ::bigsmile:

There should be a large plastic cap/lid affair on the top of the tank
Remove that and have a grope around inside the tank in the diesel feeling for a tap.

Place a suitable receptical under than van to catch the diesel in and undo said tap

Leave the tap open and squirt washing up liquid all around the inside of the tank

Get the hose in there and have a bloody good squirt about...

Then once drained and the basic residue is removed you can start the clean up

Yup, pure orange juice is pretty good at killing most smells..

But one that has not been mentioned yet.............

After you have done the detergent thing, the juice thing, and repeatedly flushed it all out, stick a whole bottle of Milton ( baby bottle sterilizer fluid ) in the tank and then fill it right up.

Leave it in for at least 24 hours then do the flushing out thing a couple more times

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Go to a local motor factors
Buy TFR trafic film remover.
Pour in the tank, top up with water
then keep flushing through.
It is a really strong detergent for cleaning commercials and it`s job is to remove grease or diesel:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dave have a look under your van at the tank to see if it has a screw on cap underneath :thumb:If it has unscrew it and let all drop then flush as Jim says
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back