Free Member
Feb 11, 2012
suffolk.uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all,went out and put a deposit on a motorhome yesterday,was telling my mechcanic son-in-law all about it this morning,when he saw the photographs showing the the twin rear wheels he asked how it affected the insurance as he had heard that having them you had to have a certain licence catergory. (Not twin axel).....Have I made a boo boo? and do I need to get back intouch with the seller and my insurance company ? Any help for this newbie motorhome ownerThanks in advance Nick

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
it all depends on how old you are and what weight the motorhome is.
generally tag axle motorhomes are around 5 ton max weight.
provided that you have category c1 on your licence ie. up to 7500kg you are ok
when you get to 70 you have to tell them that you wish to drive over 3500kg vehicles other wise you are restricted to 3500 kg.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
two things dictate what you can and cant drive.

1) the weight

2) your current licence and when it was gained.

if you passed your test after jan 1997 you will be restricted to 3500kg (unless you took a second test C1 which will allow you to drive unto 7500kg plus a light trailer up to 750kg.

test pass before jan 1997 you can drive up to 7500kg plus the light trailer.

chances are the van will be over 3500kg and you need to check on the VIN or converters plate or log book if its listed on it.

another giveaway is the tax disc....if its properly registered it will have on it either PLG or PHGV....PLG is under 3500kg, PHGV is over 3500kg.

so, pre '97 = ok
post '97= depends on weight

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
N

nickvancody

Free Member
Feb 11, 2012
suffolk.uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks

Hi,thankyou,panic over,I'm an old fart and a member of THE SKI CLUB (spending the kids inheritance) so my licence is valid and I can now pick up my van without any worries.Cheers Nick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no problem Nick.

still worth checking the weight though as DVLA have been known to have the incorrect details on record from the registering dealer.

if its built on the original cab/chassis (C class) the VIN plate should be under the bonnet and if built on just the chassis (A class) it could be anywhere the converters placed it but usually near the cab area or maybe in/on a cupboard wall etc.
DVLA dont always put the weight on the V5 log book and if they do its only what they have on record which may be wrong.

i have a small suzuki jeep, unladen weight of 1000kg and an engine size of 970cc, but they had it as 3500kg gross......cant see a 1ltr engine pulling 3.5ton up hill and down dale somehow. :Doh:

as i said, the disc should read.....

PHGV (private heavy goods vehicle) if over 3500kg and the road tax will be £165 pa

PLG (private light goods) if under 3500kg and the tax should be around £200 pa

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
good point raised by Papajohn regarding the V5 as when i got ours back from DVLA it said 2 axle rigid body when in fact it is a 3 axle.

so do check the V5 carefully when you receive it and they have a habit of adding another owner to it if you have to change anything on it as they did with mine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back