New Owner: Hiace. Advice needed please. (1 Viewer)

GNIPR

Free Member
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Toyota Hiace Super Custom
Exp
Newcomer.
Hello All,
We are long time dithering, but first time purchasing, proud owners of a tidy 1993 Hiace.
Imported as a camper, but had all of the internals removed. We got it for a good price, knowing that it would require money and effort to get it back to decent quality camper standard.
Our needs are for basic light family camping, a couple and two young kids (3 and 6) and hope to get plenty of use out of it living in the Highlands as we do.
It has a fixed high roof, and we would like to fit a roof bed for the youngsters, and have the usual fitments and appliances, along with basic water and cooking ability. Obviously not expecting a bathroom in a van of this size.
I am writing to ask for recommendations, and approximate pricing, of fitting out this van to a similar spec, and would appreciate all advice offered.
Although we are located in the Highlands of Scotland I am happy to consider anywhere North of Birmingham who would do a good job for a fair price.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul.
P1020379_1024x768.jpg

P1020380_1024x768.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Looks good. Our first camper was a Hi-Ace Custom Wagon (I think) and an import from Japan. We only scraped it because we couldn't get parts. I loved that van.

You might want to consider these instead of roof beds:
http://www.cabbunk.co.uk/

You might also consider putting in removable fittings so that the vehicle can be used as a van as well as a camper. This might, or might not, suit your lifestyle.

For conversions Terry may be your man (a Funster) - but you could try Mill Garage in Duns. I have no affiliation to the garage (or Terry) but have had work done by Mills Garage and was very happy with both end result and price.

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Yes, looks great. Get the original (type) interior fit out pictures, then improve on that as you have a clean sheet.....OR, find a scrapper that's fully fitted....OR, buy an old caravan, (preferably something German), and do a strip/rebuild. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Paul and welcome (y)It all depends on what you want to put inside-Furniture wise /cupboards etc will be cheap enough but then the bills start to mount up with cooker/sink =250 fridge 400/500 water heater 400 and heater 400 upholstery 500 leccy distribution 200/300 so as you see you can easy do 2/3k on parts alone (all prices are ish) and of coarse you don't need to put all of the above in the van or you can add as funds are available or go down second hand route -anything you need to know just ask :)plenty of very knowledgeable funsters on here ;)
terry

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You will have to see where the original seat belt fittings were in the back as they will have to be re-instated.
Or face the passenger seats backwards/sideways.......Fitting seat belts without type approval is a 3 grand fine, and or 3 months........

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Or face the passenger seats backwards/sideways.......Fitting seat belts without type approval is a 3 grand fine, and or 3 months........
New one on me :)but you can buy type approved rock and roll beds for around 700/800 quid ish ;)
terry

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
With young children I would put in proper seat belts. The original vehicle probably had two rows or seats in the back with seat belts. Toyota are usually very helpful.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
New one on me :)but you can buy type approved rock and roll beds for around 700/800 quid ish ;)
terry

That's what we had. It was VERY comfortable and quick / easy to put up and down.

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Looks like somebody has already had a good go & put all that panneling in which you will most likley end up removing & starting again "probably the best thing to do"

Ebay can be a great resource when it comes to self builds & you may find someone supplying interior units for it.
There are literally thousands of VW T4 & t5 flat pack furnature ready to go but not having looked for HIACE stuff I cannot comment.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GNIPR

GNIPR

Free Member
Aug 21, 2014
Funster No
MH
Toyota Hiace Super Custom
Exp
Newcomer.
Thanks all, all info much appreciated.
Terry, I tried to message you, but the 420 character rule meant my message was reduced so as to be pointless..
Do you take on conversions such as this, and how is your availability in the coming weeks/months please?
I work away and would be very pleased to drop the van off for conversion while I am away, with no rush to complete.
I would rather be patient and fit in to someones schedule for a good job done, than rush it.
I could give you a ring and talk it over if you were willing/able to consider it.
Thanks again everyone.

Paul.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Paul sent you my phone number ;)click onthe link below to see the transit recently done
terry

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
terry
I was taken to court many years ago for this. I bought an Auto Union ex German Army Jeep. It was registered 1969, but had been built in 1959, and so the seat belt laws did not apply......However, sick of being 'pulled' for being seen wearing no belt, I fitted one myself....BIG MISTAKE. I got pulled over at a Ministry Check Point just outside Glossop. Told them, when asked, that I had self fitted the front belts. Result, a £200 fine......:(:(:(. The vehicle was confiscated to be scrapped.:cry::cry:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Toots you will have to learn to lie :D should have told them it was like that when you got it

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back