Free Member
Apr 17, 2021
Kirkham, Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift 612
Exp
Since 1980s
We bought a 'new' motothime in Sept 2020, apart from having a lot of faults which we have raise we now find the motor home was built in June 2019 and the fiat part in March 2019 with tyres dated March 2019.
Apart from software being 4 revisions out of date, we are worried that the recommendation of tyres being changed every 5 years means our 'new' tyres are already 30% through their life!
Does anyone else have this issue or know what to do please?
Also is it normal that a 'new' motorhome is already so old without us being told?

Thanks

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Yes it’s normal but you should check before buying any new van

We bought a new Hymer in 2007, the Merc chassis was 2005, Hymer built 2006 and we bought and registered 2007.

We knew and it was advertised by the German dealer as such at a massive discount.

Your tyres are dated and will need replacing accordingly to that regardless of when you bought and registered.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J and m

J and m

Free Member
Apr 17, 2021
Kirkham, Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift 612
Exp
Since 1980s
Thanks, interesting , we were not told the age of the motorhome when we purchased it and assumed it was as sold, new. We didnt get any discount regarding age. Maybe it's a trading standards issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
I was told last week that the failed gas regulator in my AT Delaware (2019) was now obsolete and no longer available! Apparently it was replaced late 2019 - I bought the van in May 2019. Replacement with the updated model will require significant gas pipe mods together with the associated costs at my expense.

I suspect my Fiat part is actually a 2017 and the AT part is 2018 at the 2019 specs.

Upvote 0
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Unfortunately its a case Cavete Emptor especially when purchasing something as expensive as a new MH.

Its probably to late, but worth speaking with the dealer, you never know you might catch them in a generous mood, on the other hand...... Good Luck

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Your tyres are dated and will need replacing accordingly to that regardless of when you bought and registered.
Hi, There is no requirement to change tyres based on age. It is all just recommendations, with regular checks, tyres can last many years. You will also here of tyres that fail after only one or two years.

The choice is yours and not mandatory.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Sorry about your plight. I would speak to the dealer first. Then if no joy I would tell him that you are going to the trading standards with regards to fit for purpose. But don’t hold your breath. Good luck not a good way to start your continental cruising life🤞🤞

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
It is shocking that some motorhomes have been on the dealer forecourt as demonstrators both there & at Shows for even 2-3 years then sold as "new" at full or minimally discounted price but fair when they declare it & sell with an appropriate discount. Our first "new" motorhome arrived at the NEC Show from the factory then had thousands look around it over five days but as it was the last one available that year of that model we bought it but with suitable discount, new carpets, new mattress & all damage from the Show made good so a fair deal. It seems the only way to guarantee a new motorhome is a factory order but these can have a wait time or over a year on popular makes & models so buying from the forecourt is the speedy option. With the current demand for motorhomes on forecourts guess that a discount is unlikely as if one person doesn't buy it the next one will.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I was told last week that the failed gas regulator in my AT Delaware (2019) was now obsolete and no longer available! Apparently it was replaced late 2019 - I bought the van in May 2019. Replacement with the updated model will require significant gas pipe mods together with the associated costs at my expense.

I suspect my Fiat part is actually a 2017 and the AT part is 2018 at the 2019 specs.
Would you not be covered under AT warranty for the failed part? Associated consequential issues may be more of a "fight".

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

I agree with Gellyneck it is still in the 2 year warranty so get your dealer to sort it.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
While driving along quite a few motorways eg. M18 you will see thousands of “new” vehicles sat in fields, M5 Bristol is another. Some vehicles may have been sat in showroom/forecourts for months and months. Tyres may have been manufactured and stamped then stored, been fitted to rims and stored, been put on chassis and parked and so on till the vehicle was built, stored and registered. I think you will find it’s not just your “new” vehicle sorry.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
I agree with Gellyneck it is still in the 2 year warranty so get your dealer to sort it.
It's a Truma gas regulator which apparently have only a 6 month warranty on them. They are not interested in helping. They advised I went to O'Leary's as it's an obsolete part!

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It's a Truma gas regulator which apparently have only a 6 month warranty on them. They are not interested in helping. They advised I went to O'Leary's as it's an obsolete part!
They'll probably use the excuse that it's contaminated as a result of the gas but I would be pushing the dealer. They may say you have to prove it's faulty as it's over six months old so get a gas engineers report which they'll have to pay for, assuming it's not contaminated, as well as replacing the regulator and associated items.

Upvote 0

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
When the Truma regulator packed up on my AT Scout a few years ago I changed it for a Clesse, which I believe are more reliable.
Gaslow Direct sell them for £40 if it's the correct type.

Upvote 0

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
While driving along quite a few motorways eg. M18 you will see thousands of “new” vehicles sat in fields, M5 Bristol is another. Some vehicles may have been sat in showroom/forecourts for months and months. Tyres may have been manufactured and stamped then stored, been fitted to rims and stored, been put on chassis and parked and so on till the vehicle was built, stored and registered. I think you will find it’s not just your “new” vehicle sorry.
As a car transporter I know that the Peugeot and Citroen vehicles are in very short supply and the minute they come off the boat they are sent straight to the converter and not stood in fields I think what you see badknee are the holding areas as the vehicle are writing to to delivered to dealers not stood because they have over produced

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J and m

J and m

Free Member
Apr 17, 2021
Kirkham, Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift 612
Exp
Since 1980s
I'm as new member and very impressed by the feedback everyone. Thank you.
I will continue to get the other faults sorted and see if the dealer will give a refund on the tyres although the whole MH is a lot older than we expected. I have sent an email to Trading Standards to see what they can advise.
Thanks again. I'll update this site when I get some feedback decision.

Upvote 1

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I'm as new member and very impressed by the feedback everyone. Thank you.
I will continue to get the other faults sorted and see if the dealer will give a refund on the tyres although the whole MH is a lot older than we expected. I have sent an email to Trading Standards to see what they can advise.
Thanks again. I'll update this site when I get some feedback decision.

I'm assuming that the dealer should have declared the van as a new 2019 model due to the time of its production.

I hope they haven't sold it to you as a new 2020 model as that would be a boo-boo on their behalf.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J and m

J and m

Free Member
Apr 17, 2021
Kirkham, Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift 612
Exp
Since 1980s
Yes we were told it was a 2020 model and were given a 2020 brochure and the salesman ringed the model. It looks in every way the same as the 2020 brochure but obviously was built 2019

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Yes we were told it was a 2020 model and were given a 2020 brochure and the salesman ringed the model. It looks in every way the same as the 2020 brochure but obviously was built 2019

You really need to determine if it is a MY19 or MY20 model as there should in theory be a price difference.

Also, be aware that some manufacturers will only change the likes of the cushion and 'soft furnishing' colours from one year to the next so establishing the differences between years can be tough going.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask as many questions on here.

Good luck,

Andrew

P.S. You may want to glance the Consumer Rights Act 2015 to see where you stand but, in theory, the goods you bought should be exactly as described.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Next years models are usually promoted in the previous year and there would no doubt be some available by the end of the previous year to satisfy orders and stock from the beginning of the new model year, if you follow my logic :cool:
I bought my new 2016 model in February 2016 and I know it was manufactured in the previous year .

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Most converters start building their following year models in August or September of the previous year and they start arriving at the dealers in October or so. And they are also being shown in the autumn NEC show. As others have said the warranty starts when it is registered with its first owner. In doing so they may be using components, including the base vehicle that have been in stock for a while. So and 2019 year model can be converted in late 2018 from components from early 2018. It is model year not build year that is relevant. Of course if it hasn't got all the stuff on it that was promised in the brochure or by the dealer that is another matter.

Same with everything. When you buy a TV or washing machine you do not know how old the bits they used to build it are do you?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J and m

J and m

Free Member
Apr 17, 2021
Kirkham, Preston, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift 612
Exp
Since 1980s
Thanks. It has all that was promised, but I still did not expect the tyres (and chassis etc) to be 18 months old and the habitation 15 months old. Maybe it's always the case but I think on perishable items the dealer should have told me. I see what they have to say. Thanks again

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back