Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Hi some years ago I owned a demountable for about a year, but may be retiring soon, so looking to get something a bit bigger. I'd like to ask the advice of other members who have been around for a bit.

I need something which is big enough to live in for longer periods, but it also needs to be reasonably economical as I may be using it as a mobile office as if my plans come off, working in different areas intermittently for periods of up to a week.

My budget won't be enormous, probably up to about £8,000, but I drive a Landrover Discovery, so 30MPG is normal for me. I've looked at Hymers, but am not fixed on any particular brand, so my main concern is which older motorhomes have a good reputation for build quality, economy and relliability, all suggestions welcomed.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hello and welcome to Motorhome fun, I am sure some one will be along later with some idea's for you.:welcomefunster:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun. I think you may well be a bit optimistic re fuel consumption 17 - 25 would be more like the norm, and half that if you opt for a large american RV. some if the early Autotrails on a merc chassis are holding up very well indeed and well worth a look as are any of the Hymers but for £8k you may be hard pushed to find one, they are out there though. Tabbart also worth a look as are any of the German built vans.mid 80's onwards. Some still have very low milages on them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Bushtrekker

Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
Thanks for the welcome.

I seem to remember the demountable did about 24, although a friend of mine had a Renault which was giving 34 on a run according to the records she kept at the time. If I get the work I'm after I'll be trying to group visits into areas, so might not need to drive too far once I'm there. We also both have bus passes::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back