New Motorhomer (old caravanner) (1 Viewer)

Apr 5, 2019
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi! I’m Rob, new to motorhoming (just bought Swift Escape 674). Caravanned for a couple of years, so was still bit of a newbie to that. Off to first rally this weekend (in motorhome instead of caravan) with South Yorkshire Centre of Caravan & Motorhome club.

Van has couple of minor faults, told dealer I’ll take back next week after checking for more teething issues over weekend when ‘used in anger’

Should I fill water tank from garden house before setting off?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Rob, It depends on your payload, but if you have plenty to spare then arriving at a rally with full water tanks is my preferred option. A garden hose is fine, as long as it's not a new one, some hoses can impart a rubber smell/taste when new that will make your tea taste awful. Lots of people carry a watering can so they can easily keep a water tank topped up without moving the van. Have a great rally (y)

Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome.hellowelcome
We only take half a tank and top up with a watering can ( bought and used specifically for that!)
Water is heavy so can affect payload.
Enjoy your first shakedown and the kettle and chairs will be out before a carravanner will have even parked up!!
Enjoy!!

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
:welco:
I can't fill up at home but rarely have a problem filling when I get to my destination, even rallies in fields. However as Jim says it's always handy to carry a container or watering can to top up, or someone will lend you one.

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
The payload on a 674 is 600kg which only includes driver @ 75kg, 90% fuel and 1x6kg bottle (lite)

The water tank holds 100 litres (100kg)

Best thing to do would be to pack it to your maximum travelling level (imagine you are away on a 2 week trip and pack for that) then go to a weigh bridge with any passengers you will have and get it weighed.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
and a warm welcome from us. We travel with the tank half-full but we also carry a full 5 litre water container that we use for coffee/tea.

Have a great weekend!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rob Su
Apr 5, 2019
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
I’m a newbie
The payload on a 674 is 600kg which only includes driver @ 75kg, 90% fuel and 1x6kg bottle (lite)

The water tank holds 100 litres (100kg)

Best thing to do would be to pack it to your maximum travelling level (imagine you are away on a 2 week trip and pack for that) then go to a weigh bridge with any passengers you will have and get it weighed.
Thanks for this - very useful :)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If weighing your van, check axle weights as it’s easy to overload the rear axle on some vans.

OP
OP
Rob Su
Apr 5, 2019
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
I’m a newbie
If weighing your van, check axle weights as it’s easy to overload the rear axle on some vans.
Late wife took everything in caravan - I’ve told kids this is different camping...minimal

Probably sounds stupid, but when you say 600kg includes driver 75kg and 90% fuel (say another 50kg), does that mean I’ve got 475kg left for other passengers and luggage and water?

M-J

Free Member
Jan 15, 2019
Secret Underground Chimp Bunker
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562
Exp
Enough
Late wife took everything in caravan - I’ve told kids this is different camping...minimal

Probably sounds stupid, but when you say 600kg includes driver 75kg and 90% fuel (say another 50kg), does that mean I’ve got 475kg left for other passengers and luggage and water?

Sorry that can read either way.... To clear it up according to swift that is already accounted for so its 600kg available in theory. Then there’s any extras it might have fitted and a 5% tolerance either way to consider.

OP
OP
Rob Su
Apr 5, 2019
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 674
Exp
I’m a newbie
Thx - remember first caravan, was barely able to tow it with Toyota Avensis 2.0, we were right on border - hated it. Then increased van and got Land Rover Disvocery, towed like a dream, but Motorhome so much easier it’s almisf a joy to drive

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back