Sep 9, 2013
Italy
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Want to be motorhoming
Hello everybody

Finally I almost decided to buy a motorhome even if I know very little or nothing ...... I'm more oriented on the new, but a used one could be fine.

Next week I'll try to visit Parma expo and, due to my very poor knowledge, I would like to ask you some help just in order to better address questions to the different motorhom makers, especially with regards to the engine that is the only part that I would never try to fix by myself.

Can you recommend a particular engine?
Is there any feature of your engine which You would never give up?
On the other side, is there any engine You would not recommend due to recurring technical problems?
Do You recommend a new or a used motorhome? I have heard that it is better not to get the newest models and wait for some time .....

Thank you in advance for the help you can give me

:Smile::Smile::Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would consider the engine to be of little importance in choosing a van. Much more important is the layout and how it fits in with the way you want to live in the MH. Any engine will get you around and there is not really a lot of difference in those available.

The advantage of buying a used van is firstly the saving in cost, but also that new vans seem to suffer from a lot of problems due to poor quality control. A van that is a year or two old will normally have had its initial shortcomings dealt with.

I would never buy a new van, but I'm glad some people do or there would be no used ones around:Smile:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi and welcome to fun

As a few tips

Try the beds out, not all are the same size

If you want an oven make sure it takes a whole chicken again size can be deceiving

Our ringleader Jim does a great guide for buying a motorhome too

Good luck and have fun at the motorhome show

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Another advantage in buying a second hand van it that there is more of a chance that the previous owner has added extras which you will have to pay for in a new van.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the best advice I can offer on engines, having owned most types over the years is.... always go for the more powerful option available. there is not much worse than struggling to get enough speed and power to keep the van in the top gear on a motorway.

motorhomes are big and heavy so need to have a decent engine

otherwise you are on to the right way of thinking

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We decided to buy new for a few reasons.
1, no one will have used the toilet ( Mrs A)
2, we plan to keep it a very long time ( we looked at hundreds and this is the perfect layout for us
3, no one has abused it before we got it
4, we get the full warranty on the base vehicle and habitation side and know everything will be looked after properly from day 1
5, we picked the Peugeot base because the engines are tried and tested but more importantly, it had the best hab layout for us
6, I've never owned a new vehicle

Of course the downsides are depreciation and new vehicle bugs, if which we have had a few, albeit minor
As we have no plans to sell the van, depreciation doesn't bother us.
Good look with your choice. I don't really think there are any engines to avoid. Most motorhomes seem to last for ever.
Allan

OP
OP
C

checcapitipiti

Free Member
Sep 9, 2013
Italy
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Want to be motorhoming
I'm sorry if I have some delay with the answers, but really THANKS to all of You for the fast and interesting suggestions

Ciao

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
One word of advice

Layout

We bought a 20 year old hymer and had it for a year to see if we liked mhoming, the layout was great if we had a small dog but not with 2 big dogs, so after looking at a few at the stratford show, we decided on a galley seat system as it gave us seperate toilet/shower and enough for 2 dogs (now 3 three). The new van runs on a merc chassis, but this was in no way a consideratrion in the purchase. Ity was all about the layout. Dont be afraid to ask any questions to complete strangers at any show as most would give you an opinion (its up to you to either accept it or didmiss it).

And another thing to consider

Layout

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
I would also get a very clear understanding of the weights.

what the dealer tells you is the payload often does not add up after you have installed extras such as an awning bike rack etc. It doesn't take much to overload if you have a small payload. I had my van uprated with SV Tech. I took my new (second hand) motorhome to the weighbridge the day after I bought it, I had a useable payload of only 160 kgs, which was before I took any luggage or passengers. The dealer had told me I had over 500kgs which was likely true before you add anything to it. After the uprate I now have a useable payload of 600 kgs

They often try to keep the GVW below 3500kgs but in my opinion with some vans, this is not realistic.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
As above, My new van was short on payload after the premium pack was fitted. Where I thought I had 305 kg, I only had about 250. Not good, so I went to SvTech and upped the weight from 3500 to 3700.
Not much but now I have a bit of spare capacity without having to modify anything
Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back